Swindon Caravans Group

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
We've been to find out more about the used caravan dealer you voted as the UK's best in our Owner Satisfaction Awards 2017 – it's Swindon Caravans Group! Read more here.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I planned to use them for the annual service of my caravan as they are a Swift main dealer and won the PC award. However, after enquiring about a replacement exterior light that had been damaged I decided against having the caravan serviced there. Not interested would be an understatement so the van is now booked in to another Swift dealer in "Bustard" country.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
DavenGill1 said:
We contacted them regarding changing our van for one they had for sale, we emailed asking for information and as yet still not had a reply,

Try phoning them.

Or pop in if passing, I did when looking for a caravan. They were very helpful.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
About two years ago we were looking at trading in our caravan and as they had some good offers we decided to do the 200 mile round trip. On arrival we went to the rear of the premises to look over some caravans which were supposed to be brand new. Some of these brand new caravans had items removed from them probably to fix a customer's caravan. On walking into one brand new caravan the mat and the floor were soaking wet as the door had been left open during a rain storm.
When we got back to the office, we told a sales person about the water in the caravan, but he had no interest in this fact. Anyway as we were there we asked for some figures regarding trading in our caravan. Figures were manipulated and the trade in price we were offered was a joke. We then realised why the caravan's new prices beat other dealers. Taking into consideration the low retail price and the trade in value, we would be a lot better off trading in at another dealership where the retail and trade in price were higher as ultimately we would be better off.
Another thing they do not like to return phone calls. Admittedly this was two years ago and things may have changed for the better however we will not be paying them a visit again either way.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Buckman said:
About two years ago we were looking at trading in our caravan and as they had some good offers we decided to do the 200 mile round trip. On arrival we went to the rear of the premises to look over some caravans which were supposed to be brand new. Some of these brand new caravans had items removed from them probably to fix a customer's caravan. On walking into one brand new caravan the mat and the floor were soaking wet as the door had been left open during a rain storm.
When we got back to the office, we told a sales person about the water in the caravan, but he had no interest in this fact. Anyway as we were there we asked for some figures regarding trading in our caravan. Figures were manipulated and the trade in price we were offered was a joke. We then realised why the caravan's new prices beat other dealers. Taking into consideration the low retail price and the trade in value, we would be a lot better off trading in at another dealership where the retail and trade in price were higher as ultimately we would be better off.
Another thing they do not like to return phone calls. Admittedly this was two years ago and things may have changed for the better however we will not be paying them a visit again either way.

It mirrors my experience last summer when I contacted them for a spare part for my caravan. They are dealers for the brand but didn’t reply to my phone call and when I did speak to them were disinterested quoting a likely delivery date many weeks in advance. Another relatively local brand dealer got it within a couple of days and phoned me when it had arrived. I’d also used this other dealer for some Alko wheel lock parts and again they were very good. So it’s they who will be servicing my caravan.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I think that now would be a good time to remind forum users that the rules (3&4) that everyone agreed to abide by when they opened a website membership account state that:

You may not transmit material that discloses personal matters concerning any person or that is defamatory.
You may not transmit complaints about named companies or caravan parks. Such individual issues should be taken up with the company direct

Please abide by these rules.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Ref Buckman's post about retail and trade-in prices, surely these figures aren't important; its the difference that matters, what we used to call "the money in the middle"

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
emmerson said:
Ref Buckman's post about retail and trade-in prices, surely these figures aren't important; its the difference that matters, what we used to call "the money in the middle"

Yes I agree.
At the end of the day it is the deal you accept that is the important one.
If you think you have a good deal, then you are satisfied.
Whether or not that is at reduced prices or at full market value is immaterial,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
They are four miles from me. I have had two caravans from them over the years with no problems. When I needed some extra waste pipe, not available off the shelf, the workshop guys found me some from their own stores competitively priced. I buy most of my spates and consumables from them.Again not overpriced. Eight years ago they priced matched the best I could get for a full sized Isabella Magnum.
As the Prof has said many times we only tend to hear bad vibes on here rather than good.
They deserve the accolade awarded :cheer:

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The relative prices, new versus trade in, is interesting. I remember 25 years ago that when I traded in a car I was given a price to swap. When the paperwork arrived both prices were depressed but I just paid the agreed difference. This was something to do with a tax fiddle I think. I have recently heard of a caravan dealer who offers so much to swap and the......... (Yes, you’ve guessed.)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
waffler said:
The relative prices, new versus trade in, is interesting. I remember 25 years ago that when I traded in a car I was given a price to swap. When the paperwork arrived both prices were depressed but I just paid the agreed difference. This was something to do with a tax fiddle I think. I have recently heard of a caravan dealer who offers so much to swap and the......... (Yes, you’ve guessed.)

I wonder if this is correct. If the sale price is reduced so is the VAT so they may be able to squeeze a bit more profit out of the sale

May 30, 2017
Visit site
Went there on Wednesday afternoon, no kids in tow, to compare their Vogue range.

I'll never know if they actually did a version of the layout I wanted, as there wasn't a soul around.

Bought elsewhere an hour later.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
We've bought 2 caravans from them as their prices were so much better than anywhere else (no trade in). But the after sales service was absolutely appalling. I had 2 warranty items and after waiting some months for them to be rectified I went direct to the manufacturers (Belfield and Dometic) and got the repairs done in a few days. Problem is, the Belfield cushions have once again (after only 6 months) failed so once again I'm having to go through Swindon Caravans to get them repaired.

Also, nearly forgot, on our second caravan the battery exploded because they'd omitted to remove the transit bungs.

TRENDING THREADS