TAKING TEST TO TOW

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
:) Hello all l

My daughters partner passed away las tyear and they had a caravan which he towed ( ex lorry driver ) huh

But my daughter wants to keep p towing although she could tow this van she says if she changes car or van chances are she will be over 3.5t.
Can anyone tell me what she has to do (procedure) and where the tests are are carried out

thanks

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
smiley said:
:) Hello all l

My daughters partner passed away las tyear and they had a caravan which he towed ( ex lorry driver ) huh

But my daughter wants to keep p towing although she could tow this van she says if she changes car or van chances are she will be over 3.5t.
Can anyone tell me what she has to do (procedure) and where the tests are are carried out

thanks

Hi Smiley,

My condolences on your loss... I have put some links below on the B+E test process by Practical Caravan. The C&CC have links to instructors who can provide training and a suitable outfit for the test.

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/blog/43945-how-to-pass-your-be-test
https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/membership/benefits/courses/becourse/
https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/membership/benefits/courses/becourse/b-e-course-providers/
https://www.gov.uk/car-trailer-driving-test

The maneuvering portion of the test is performed at a HGV test centre. I did the B+E at the Birmingham centre with a local instructor from the C&CC list above. But it would be a centre local to you. The test is then performed on the roads around the centre. It will cost circa £115 for the test itself with instructor fees depending on their rate, but in my case they booked the test with the DVSA.

Best of luck to your daughter, with some practice the test is quite straightforward.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Nice reply Paul ,
I couldn't have put it better myself ,
Smiley , condolences to you both & best of luck to your daughter for the test . Well worth it .

Craig .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My condolences on your sad loss.
I doubt there is anything we can usefully add to the excellent post by CustardAvenger. If you do have any queries though please ask as I am sure someone will know the answer.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Were 25 miles south of birmingham thanks for all that info thats what I wanted. I guessed it would be HGV places as they have space. When you say instructor fees what is the norm on instruction.. Not a lot to learn really except for manouvering.. Don't know anyone who has done this but I guess more ae now.
Thanks

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Just a point, when did your daughter pass her driving test? If it's before a certain date, I don't think she needs to take another test.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
smiley said:
Were 25 miles south of birmingham thanks for all that info thats what I wanted. I guessed it would be HGV places as they have space. When you say instructor fees what is the norm on instruction.. Not a lot to learn really except for manouvering.. Don't know anyone who has done this but I guess more ae now.
Thanks

I can't remember how many hours in total I had but it was a day of training, 4-5 hours, which was practicing the maneuver and then towing on the roads, followed by and hour or so of practice prior to the test (and the same again for my second test - Failure is an option!) I think the training is important as even with experience (I had 4-5 years of towing experience prior to the test) bad habits creep in and having the benefit of coaching prior to the test gives you the necessary info on what the examiners will be looking for and what they will be marking you down on.

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Really sorry for your loss but I'm pleased that your daughter intends to keep her husband's memory alive by keeping the van that's probably given them lots of joy over the years.
I'm sure she will be absolutely great at towing, women usually are, wait for replies LOL like someone else said it will depend on when she took her test, but I would suggest a couple of lessons anyway even if she doesn't need a test.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
smiley said:
Thanks
Hi Smiley,
May I say how sorry I am to hear of your tragic loss. We’ve had a few too many this year amongst our Forumites.

So. You will know where Evesham is. The Caravan and Motorhome Club do a one and a half day towing course for anyone from complete novice to even an expert. My wife did her course there years ago. I was impressed. Even an old dog like me learnt a lot from her tales and the very comprehensive package of papers they gave her. She now tows with confidence and safety a large twin axle. However did she pass her driving test before 1997?
Good luck.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
She take after me we I started in 96.. my daughter and I used the august holidays, we would sneak off 2 weeks before hubby he had to fly over LOL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts