Tanker drivers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When present troubles are over there should be no shortage of tanker drivers. I know many nurses and teachers and engineers who would be delighted to earn £40k for driving well maintained vehicles between refinery and garages and who are quite capapable of takning the necessary safety precautions.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Unfortunately, they have been historically pampered. Back in the late 70`s some of the Shell drivers claimed to be earning 25k (I was manager of a station selling Shell and had the biggest fuel sales in the North of England, and was lucky to see athird of that for a seven day week).

I am now in a transport related industry, and all of our drivers have the same qualifications as these prima-donnas, and despite earning substantially more than the industry norm (and doing 60+ hours a week - and bloody hard work at that), don`t get near the Shell girls money. If these jessies ever found themselves out of work they would be looking for a long time, no one would touch them with a barge pole. They are remnants of a long-distant industrial age. Its time they were consigned to history.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I find their statement that they are "worth it because they do a dangerous job" hilarious. Are these people from planet earth?

They are holding the country to ransom and jumping on the bandwagon while fuel prices are the highest ever. They should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Angus

I do hope that your drivers still are'nt working a 60 hour week.

Whilst not a tanker driver my own earnings are down due to this 96 hour fortnight. A few months back I was chasing time and got pilled over by vosa and made to take my break there and then. I got out of the cab had a ciggie then started to do a bit of polishing. vosa chap walks over and asks if I am taking the pi##, turns out I can't even clean the motor in my breaktime as this is classed as working.

If any company tried to take 20% of your earnings they would be in a tribunal faster than you could blink but because Brown is desperate to please his european masters I now only work 4 days a week.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
I would sack the lot and bring in some contractors, Shell, if you are reading this get rid of the bloody lot.

The country is already on its knees over fuel and they pick this time to pick a fight over their already ample wage packet.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
X11,

Perhaps I wasn`t as descriptive as I could have been, I was trying to keep things simple for the purposes of forum readers.

The drivers are PAID over 60 hours a week, but work strictly in accordance with the working time directive, with their "periods of availability" which aren`t regulated making up the difference.

The drivers conform to all drivers hours rules and regulations, and in 21 years we haven`t had a caution, let alone a prosecution.

I have a simple rule:- You know what the law is, break it and you get sacked. Works a treat.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
hi Angus your guys are lucky as I can never get more than 2 hour avalability a week. Because we sail mainly from Newcastle time at port is part of our 48 hrs and obvisouly if you are driving to Russia or Turkey its just wheel and bed. At least I can make good bonuses on times and loads.

Mikeace these drivers are not employed by Shell but by Hoyer which is an indepenant contractor.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I think the tanker drivers and others of a similar ilk are now starting to take the "P". They now reckon Gordon and his cronies are running scared and will start holding the country to ransom, just like the good old days when Arthur and his mates thought they could screw us all. Hopefully they'll get their cum-uppance in the fullness of time, just like the miners.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
How , in this day and age , can a collective of workers who have a union go 16 years without a payrise.

Doesn't stack up to me.

I think they're having a 'turkish' and trying for the sympathy vote.

Wheres my CV , whats Shells address?

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
How , in this day and age , can a collective of workers who have a union go 16 years without a payrise.

Doesn't stack up to me.

I think they're having a 'turkish' and trying for the sympathy vote.

Wheres my CV , whats Shells address?
Tanker Drivers

Having read and agreed with most of the comments on this subject. I ask who is right and who is wrong on this topic ?

Most people could be forgiven for being aggrieved at the tanker driver's pay settlement. Indeed there are many other deserving cases in both the private and public sectors who equally deserve the same treatment.

The tanker drivers must now be expecting a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. Which is what we all hope to expect. I ask each of you,if you were in the same position would you refuse a pay deal like this? By the way I'm not a tanker driver and don't have a vested interest apart from managing to buy fuel.

Personally, I don't think we've seen the last of this saga,it will be interesting to see what happens in the longer term.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts