Telegraphing???

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
Hi....I'm new to this but....we just picked up our new Elddis Supreme 860 on Friday... absolutely love it...however when we got home and parked it in drive we put our outside house lights on which shined onto the van. This showed up the outlines of the interior framework all the way along the outer body of caravan. I have called Elddis today who say it is normal and there is no problems with the caravan. The dealer we purchased from has said this is normal and is known as "telegraphing" in the industry. Never heard of this before so any advice gratefully received. Rach.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Did you order the caravan with semi transparent walls? I doubt it, nor would I expect a reasonable person would believe that such a condition is acceptable.

In my book a wall or roof should not allow normal light to pass. There has been another thread recently about a similar issue.

Read up about the Consumer Rights Act,(2015) which gives you some strong tools to challenge faulty goods. Even to the extent of getting a full refund.

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
Definitely didn't order transparent walls. We've had several caravans and I can understand the odd line in bodywork but you can actually see the shapes of the internal framework when looking at outer shell. Never seen this before. Elddis assure that there is nothing wrong with caravan and this is normal. Spent a lot of money on this caravan so not sure what to do as we love it. If I hadn't put outside lights on we may not have ever noticed!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Are you seeing the framework were pressure is acting agaisnt the outside skin, or is light actually transmitting through the panel?
Im the poor unfortunate that had an issue, but it was my roof. However, the remedy applied to my roof was in my opinion a poor remedy, whether it works or not. However, I doubt such a remedy would be acceptable on the easily viewed walls.

See the pics for my issue
https://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/general/57330-nearly-quit-caravanning

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
No there's no light coming through bodywork. It's just when you look at caravan you can see lines where the internal framework is showing through. It's more noticeable at night when light from house is shining onto caravan. It's also more noticeable on door side of van than other side. Maybe I should just not shine light onto it!!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your van has GRP moulded side panels and as part of the build process the framework on which the internal fittings are attached to are moulded as part of the panel, and as such under certain lighting conditions you will see where they are.
It is not a fault, it is normal for GRP moulded panels.

As for this post " Did you order the caravan with semi transparent walls? I doubt it, nor would I expect a reasonable person would believe that such a condition is acceptable.

In my book a wall or roof should not allow normal light to pass. There has been another thread recently about a similar issue.

Read up about the Consumer Rights Act,(2015) which gives you some strong tools to challenge faulty goods. Even to the extent of getting a full refund. "

Totally wrong in this context as there is no fault and there is no "transparent wall .

May 24, 2014
Visit site
In that case, I have seen it quite often. Its poor but its probably looking worse if the light is shining along the body rather than directly at it. I dont for one minute think its good, but there are lots like that.

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
Many thanks for your help. We do love the caravan and everything else about it is perfect. This forum has put my mind at rest though so thank you for all your comments.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thingy said:
In that case, I have seen it quite often. Its poor but its probably looking worse if the light is shining along the body rather than directly at it. I dont for one minute think its good, but there are lots like that.

I fully agree that it does not look good under certain lighting, but the reason it is noticeable on a caravan flat wall is that the GRP is not very thick, to save weight ,so is more pronounced.
To remove all traces of internal mouldings the GRP would have to be at least 10 layers, which would weigh a lot !!

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Rachnrob said:
Many thanks for your help. We do love the caravan and everything else about it is perfect. This forum has put my mind at rest though so thank you for all your comments.

Good to hear you’ve had your mind put at rest Rachnrob.

Whilst you will get plenty of help on here, unfortunately there are some contributors who, whilst in the main do provide valuable contributions based on years of experience, and I do believe have the best of intentions towards the poster, are often very quick to criticise any products made by UK caravan manufacturers and seem to be on an endless crusade to encourage others to throw the legal rule book at caravan dealers at every opportunity.

Of course your caravan walls are not transparent, and what you can see under certain lighting conditions are the slight undulations in the GRP side panel caused by the fixings of the interior furniture. They are visible on most modern vans, some to a more, and some to a lesser degree.

In any case, if you do happen to have any issues with your lovely new caravan, my advice would always be to first approach your dealer with a friendly smile and have an honest face-to-face discussion rather than turning up and throwing the rule book at him. That’s not how you make the most of any relationship. Stating your legal rights should always be a last resort before action. However, you’ll get used to seeing endless references on here to the Consumer Rights Act 2015, but it’s very unlikely that you’ll ever need to refer to it ...

Enjoy your lovely new caravan :p

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
Thank you so much. We really don't want to return caravan just needed advice as to the framework...but as you say it is more visible in some lighting and fine in others. From now on I will just enjoy having a lovely new caravan and not worry about it. I really appreciate the comments.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Under certain circumstances (condensation mostly) you can make out the roof batons in my caravan from both inside and outside... you can clearly see the location for the mini heki over the kitchen which is fitted in the other variants.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its my mistake. I thought the op was viewing the light coming through the walls. Now I understand its the skin of the wall reflecting light which is revealing the locations of structure etc.

Never heard it called telegraphing before, but I can understand its a bit like telegraph wires that sag (Actually part of a perfect parabola) between poles.

As others have said not ideal, and given the materials, it would require a lot more work to eliminate it completely. It certainly does not prevent the caravan from working, its just an aesthetic perspective of the finish.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Telegraphing is quite common - more obvious in some marques than others - and is basically caused during the bonding process of the sidewalls. Between the inner and outer skins of the sidewalls (and roofs in some cases) there are a number of frames (around windows) and internal fixings (where a bulkhead would attach for example).

The insulation between the walls “gives” more than the inserts during the bonding process when the panels are actually “pressed” together while adhesives cure, and leave the telegraphing as a result. The thinner the outer material, the more obvious this can be.

Our previous caravan(s) had relatively thin aluminium of the outside and as a result the telegraphing was very obvious. You could see virtually every bit of strengthening on both sides if the light was in the right (or wrong) direction. The new caravan, built by a different manufacturer has slightly thicker aluminium (plus perhaps a better quality control) and absolutely no telegraphing is present.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
ProfJohnL said:
Its my mistake. I thought the op was viewing the light coming through the walls. Now I understand its the skin of the wall reflecting light which is revealing the locations of structure etc.

Never heard it called telegraphing before, but I can understand its a bit like telegraph wires that sag (Actually part of a perfect parabola) between poles.

As others have said not ideal, and given the materials, it would require a lot more work to eliminate it completely. It certainly does not prevent the caravan from working, its just an aesthetic perspective of the finish.

I made the same mistake and thought it a transparency issue similar to that discussed a few weeks ago.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just reverting back to the transparency issue. I have just rewatched the Swift Video on the Smart HT construction where they show a cutthrough of the materials used. From what I can see is the roof and walls on my caravan are made of the same materials. You have seen the pictures of the transparency issues that Swift are having with these models in respect of the roof, and what I dont get is why then dont the sides suffer from the same issue.

https://www.swifttv.co.uk/video/swift-elegance-and-sterling-continental-under-the-skin-of-smart-ht

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am fairly sure that the Elddis caravans have aluminium sides and not GRP. We have a Buccaneer from Elddis and yes at times you can see the frame work if looking along the ide of the caravan in bright sunlight. Standing away from the sides it cannot be seen as looks perfectly flat. Don't worry and enjoy your caravan as this issue is common across all brands of caravans due to the thinness of the walls!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " I am fairly sure that the Elddis caravans have aluminium sides and not GRP"

You are wrong in that, the model mentioned by the OP has GRP moulded side panels.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are on our seventh caravan and I do not remember ever seeing telegraphing although it does sound as though it only shows up in I may have missed it. It does not seem to be a problem though.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote " I am fairly sure that the Elddis caravans have aluminium sides and not GRP"

You are wrong in that, the model mentioned by the OP has GRP moulded side panels.

That is strange as on the Elddis website it states;

‘StrongLite Aluminium one-piece sides – up to 40% stronger and 30% lighter

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Buckman said:
Damian-Moderator said:

That is strange as on the Elddis website it states;

‘StrongLite Aluminium one-piece sides – up to 40% stronger and 30% lighter

I also noticed that but that was on the Elldiss Advante, the Supreme has GRP. Its a Preston special.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I also noticed that but that was on the Elldiss Advante, the Supreme has GRP. Its a Preston special.

Seems strange that they would use GRP on only a few caravans as that would make them very expensive as generally dealer specials are enhanced versions of standard caravans however you are correct. I think that Elddis stopping making standard caravans with GRP sides in 2017? Our 2016 Buccaneer had GRP sides, but the 2018 does not. Still not sure which is better in case of a ding?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts