Television Connection

BLT

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
Our new Bailey Unicorn has an external plug for a coaxial lead which connects the television signal from a point on the pitch bollard to the caravan. When connected to the caravan the television shows “no signal”. I have used a signal detector which shows a strong signal at the caravan end of the coaxial cable. I’ve also checked the lead connecting the television to the internal plug. The television is fine if connected directly to the bollard, bypassing the internal system. Is there a switch to change from roof aerial to bollard? Friends of ours with a new Coachman have the same problem!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Have you switched the signal booster on? I seem to recall having the same problem a while back and that fixed it. I have no idea why, but worth a try.

Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
When we had a Coachman it had two input leads adjacent the booster one for the roof-mounted aerial and another for site aerial input. Also, in the relevant locker were instructions for their use.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
On our Lunar, the outside point went to the satellite connecter inside. So when used to connect to a site aerial the TV aerial fly lead needs swapping to this outlet. This may require ‘F’ connectors to coax converters.

John

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
On my coachman the Vision Plus VP4 signal booster is in the wardrobe. There is a loose co-ax cable attached with a cable tie nearby. When I used the TV connection from the pitch bollard to the connector in the battery box, I had to disconnect the Ant. In roof aerial cable from the VP4 and connect the spare cable which runs to the battery box connector to get it working.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.jpeg
    IMG_0678.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

BLT

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
Many thanks for responses. Unfortunately, no luck so far. However, recently I’ve had to return the caravan to the dealer for other faults to be attended to, and I took the opportunity to query the television input issue. I was very surprised to be informed that the plug is in fact an output socket so we can watch the television in an awning via the aerial (great idea, especially during Aurumn in the UK). My initial one-weird reaction to that response is not something I would wish to repeat on this family-friendly forum. I have now emailed Bailey requesting clarification, and will update this post when I receive a response. Thanks again to all who have taken the time and trouble to offer advice.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 18, 2006
Visit site
Our Buccaneer has an aerial point inside the locker on the side of the van. It is an output socket so you can watch TV in the awning. Never use this.
Inside the battery box there is a satellite in point. I bought a f plug to coax convertor and plug the cable in from the bollard to the van.
Inside the van, near the TV position there is a satellite point and I fitted a f type to coax adaptor and plug the aerial cable into the TV. Works fine when plugged inti the site booster system from a bollard.

BLT

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
Our Buccaneer has an aerial point inside the locker on the side of the van. It is an output socket so you can watch TV in the awning. Never use this.
Inside the battery box there is a satellite in point. I bought a f plug to coax convertor and plug the cable in from the bollard to the van.
Inside the van, near the TV position there is a satellite point and I fitted a f type to coax adaptor and plug the aerial cable into the TV. Works fine when plugged inti the site booster system from a bollard.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have never used the satellite or coxial outlets on our Buccaneer although we have 2 TVs in it both connected to HDMI. We have a Freesat box in the caravan and a Smart TV.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
No, you've got it wrong.
The cable from the outside end (nowadays on Baileys usually in the mains outlet socket) is wired to be adjacent to the aerial amp. It can the be connected to a spare outlet on the amp to fed a TV in the awning, or can be used in reverse to feed signal in from a bollard, from a satellite dish or external aerial to be used inside the caravan. However if it is used for bollard feed it needs to be connected.

Bollard feed is usually quite strong, so all that needs to be done is for the outside cable to be connected to the cable disconnected from the aerial amp that feeds the TV socket. It will require a F-type back-to-back socket adapter (often known as a barrel connector and usually supplied with the caravan) so that the bollard signal by-passes the amp. If the amp feeds more than one TV outlet and there is likelihood of both TVs being in use at the same time, then the white cable feeding the aerial amp input must be disconnected and replaced by the external cable BUT the amp gain must be turned to minimum to obviate the possibility of overloading the amp input. However note that in this last wiring method, removing the white cable will likely result in the radio failing to work as bollards don't usually provide a radio feed.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In a previous caravan where we had Sky+HD to supply the other sockets in the caravan with a signal from the RF out on the Sky box we took the signal to the nearest coaxial outlet and plugged it in there. We then had signal to the bedroom area of the caravan.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Further to my last #12 above, note that F-type connectors and adapters are significantly cheaper at the likes of Screwfix or Toolstation than at a DIY shed or a caravan dealer shop. Sfx/Tstn will cost you about £3 for a pack of 10 plugs against the same price for two plugs elsewhere.
It is also a good idea to carry a length of WF100 or similar cable in case of problems/vermin bites, some cable plugs as above and a couple of barrel adapters so that if you run into any issues you have the bits to hand. Fitting F-type plugs is dead simple - you will need a slim 'Stanley' knife (other makes of knife are available) and a pair of inexpensive electronics cutters. There is oodles of fitting help on line.
A 10dB F-type attenuator (fits in series with a cable) is a good thing to carry so that if you pitch up close to a high powered main station transmitter (yes, it does happen!) you can reduce the signal entering the amp and prevent it being overloaded. You could of course connect the aerial (white wire) directly to the cable feeding the TV but it will mean loss of radio signal feed which comes of the same amp.
You will probably have a VP3 amp fitted? For info the signals coming out of the radio port and the TV ports are the same but the radio output is not amplified. If your radio signal is poor the radio cable can be connected to a spare TV output.
Finally remember that in the UK we only use aerials vertical and horizontal NEVER slanted. Horizontal is generally used by main station transmitters (where you get 70+ TV stations) whilst vertical is used for relays that transmit 'Freeview Lite' and you only get 14/20 stations depending whether you have a HD TV. The aerial will work best if vertical for both FM and DAB, but TV polarity takes priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Oct 20, 2022
Visit site
I had the same problem on Bolton Abbey site,if bollard cable plugged direct in to through window to was ok,if cable put on plug in electric box,it would not work but has worked on plenty of other sites.was told there is a conflict of Tv signals because the “outside socket in electric box” is connected to the caravan aerial system,best way is to install a outside socket free from the caravan tv system

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had the same problem on Bolton Abbey site,if bollard cable plugged direct in to through window to was ok,if cable put on plug in electric box,it would not work but has worked on plenty of other sites.was told there is a conflict of Tv signals because the “outside socket in electric box” is connected to the caravan aerial system,best way is to install a outside socket free from the caravan tv system
Sounds like cross modulation?

BLT

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
I’ve checked, and our Bailey only has the one external output socket feed through the serial booster. After exhausting numerous options, the answer appears to be that I need to disconnect the external socket feed from the aerial booster, disconnect the feed from the booster to the internal television point, then use an f to f connector to connect the external socket lead to the internal television point- as per the excellent advice received through the forum. To test, I am going to run a coaxial cable from the aerial to the external socket - cumbersome, but the only signal source I have access to where the caravan is parked - if the modified connections are correct I should get an indication of a signal on my signal detector at the television point in the caravan.

Reactions: cooky1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts