Television for Sprite 2 Alpine caravan

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi Marigoldfairy.

A caravan is a caravan. What television you choose is personal on questions like.

What size do you want?
Does it need to work on a 12 volt supply ? This is the biggest limiting factor.
Does it need to run apps? (But a firestick can often be added).
Does it need a satellite receiver built in?
Does it need Bluetooth?
Is the sound any good? (But a smart speaker can be added).
What resolution suits you?

There is a lot of choice out there.

John

Sep 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi Marigoldfairy.

A caravan is a caravan. What television you choose is personal on questions like.

What size do you want?
Does it need to work on a 12 volt supply ? This is the biggest limiting factor.
Does it need to run apps? (But a firestick can often be added).
Does it need a satellite receiver built in?
Does it need Bluetooth?
Is the sound any good? (But a smart speaker can be added).
What resolution suits you?

There is a lot of choice out there.

John
Sorry, I wasn’t very clear! Query was more to see if anyone had installed one with a swivel bracket. There’s an area opposite the kitchen where it looks like a tv/bracket should go, but the sales yard have said the wall won’t support it. It seems weird, as it’s a big waste of space if so, so thought I’d check if anyone else had issues. I wondered if the sales yard just didn’t want to install for liability issues

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the caravan is only to be used with an electric hook up any conventional model will work provided it will fit in the space for it. Do check what size will fit but that is the only criteria. Unless you go for a satellite dish it needs Freeview built in but I think they all do now but check this.
If you plan to go off grid there are dual 240/12 volt models like Cello but they are more expensive.
We keep ours in the original packaging to protect it and use the car boot for a softer ride. They can be fragile so need protection when travelling so do make sure they are secure and have padding round them.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Sorry, I wasn’t very clear! Query was more to see if anyone had installed one with a swivel bracket. There’s an area opposite the kitchen where it looks like a tv/bracket should go, but the sales yard have said the wall won’t support it. It seems weird, as it’s a big waste of space if so, so thought I’d check if anyone else had issues. I wondered if the sales yard just didn’t want to install for liability issues
To be fair, you were not clear at all.

Caravans are lightweight and, therefore weak structures. I did once mount a TV onto a wardrobe wall so that was not too difficult to strengthen. Always best to use a quick release mount as it is not a good idea to tow with the extra weight of a TV straining on its mount.

John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I have an Alpine 2 and I know where you mean. I would share your workshops concerns about the board being able to take weight. A television on the end of a swivel bracket would exert some downward pull. I am not very technical though. We just stand ours on the near side dresser. ( which is itself a masterclass in how to render useable space into wasted space)
mel

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Sep 13, 2023
Visit site
To be fair, you were not clear at all.

Caravans are lightweight and, therefore weak structures. I did once mount a TV onto a wardrobe wall so that was not too difficult to strengthen. Always best to use a quick release mount as it is not a good idea to tow with the extra weight of a TV straining on its mount.

John
Thanks for the advice!

Sep 13, 2023
Visit site
I have an Alpine 2 and I know where you mean. I would share your workshops concerns about the board being able to take weight. A television on the end of a swivel bracket would exert some downward pull. I am not very technical though. We just stand ours on the near side dresser. ( which is itself a masterclass in how to render useable space into wasted space)
mel
Thank you! They were my thoughts about that dresser….such usable space until the other half sets up the TV so was looking for options to keep the space free but can make do. It’s our first caravan so novices!

Sep 13, 2023
Visit site
If the caravan is only to be used with an electric hook up any conventional model will work provided it will fit in the space for it. Do check what size will fit but that is the only criteria. Unless you go for a satellite dish it needs Freeview built in but I think they all do now but check this.
If you plan to go off grid there are dual 240/12 volt models like Cello but they are more expensive.
We keep ours in the original packaging to protect it and use the car boot for a softer ride. They can be fragile so need protection when travelling so do make sure they are secure and have padding round them.
Thanks for the advice, and I was also wondering about keeping it in the packaging so will do they same….better safe than sorry!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry , your post seems to have arrived while I was composing mine and I missed it. We have had four caravans with TV mounts fitted by the makers and they have all been attached to furniture, either the wardrobe or toilet side panel. This should work provided you follow he instructions with the mount and check the TV is withing the limit of the mount.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Our caravan has a TV mount on the dividing wall between bedroom and kitchen.
It was a factory fitted item, but I don't see why you couldnt fit one yourself. I doubt Bailey did anything special to strengthen the boarding.
As long as you aren't mounting a CRT TV you should be ok
Just remember to remove the TV from the wall bracket before traveling (Ours just slides on and off)

We just place our TV on the bed, under the duvet for traveling, TV is now 8 years old and we have had no problems

This is the one used by Bailey, I have never used this seller so at your own risk

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It was a factory fitted item, but I don't see why you couldnt fit one yourself. I doubt Bailey did anything special to strengthen the boarding.
Just remember to remove the TV from the wall bracket before traveling (Ours just slides on and off)

We just place our TV on the bed, under the duvet for traveling, TV is now 8 years old and we have had no problems

This is the one used by Bailey, I have never used this seller so at your own risk

The face of most parts of caravan internal structures is about 2 mm ply. On its own, not strong enough to support much at all. In vans I have had, the TV mountings have been to reinforced hard points.

John

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
The face of most parts of caravan internal structures is about 2 mm ply. On its own, not strong enough to support much at all. In vans I have had, the TV mountings have been to reinforced hard points.

John
fair enough, but I'm not going to peel the laminate off to see what they have done

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry , your post seems to have arrived while I was composing mine and I missed it. We have had four caravans with TV mounts fitted by the makers and they have all been attached to furniture, either the wardrobe or toilet side panel. This should work provided you follow he instructions with the mount and check the TV is withing the limit of the mount.

Unless you know the construction used in that part of the caravan is designed to take the load, I'm sorry but you can't assume it will strong enough to cope with the weight of the mount and the TV whilst the caravan is being towed. If the caravan is towed through a pot hole and creates a 10G acceleration, a TV that weighs 4Kg could endu producing an impact load of 40Kg on that same piece of wall board.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
The problem the OP has is that I think that the wall that they are looking at is a board which backs directly on to the shower. I am in my Alpine 2 as I type. Hence there is no scope to put long screws in as they will puncture the shower wall, neither can they put some reinforcement on the other side of the wall board as it would be fixed to the inside of the shower. It is a wasted space but much better to put some stick on coat hooks and use it for a lightweight coat or dig lead.
The other place they may be considering is directly over the near side dresser but that is against an outside wall. May be stronger but I would worry about puncturing the outer skin.
Has to be said that much as the Alpine 2 has much to commend it, there are areas of daft design that wastes space. The near side dresser and the under sink cupboard being glaring examples.
Mel
Edit. Just been on on Swift Touring Caravan Owners Group on Facebook 😲There is a post by Steve Webb asking the same question but putting the bracket on the wooden “framing” ( sorry the OP will understand) of the wall directly above the dresser. Other posters say in rely that they have done this and it is OK. Wouldn’t like to say myself but the OP may want to have a look.
Mel

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Our van is the same layout as the alpine 2, we have a TV that sits on the front table / drawer box during the daytime then we move it to sit above the fridge at night.

Kev

Reactions: marigoldfairy
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site

Unless you know the construction used in that part of the caravan is designed to take the load, I'm sorry but you can't assume it will strong enough to cope with the weight of the mount and the TV whilst the caravan is being towed. If the caravan is towed through a pot hole and creates a 10G acceleration, a TV that weighs 4Kg could endu producing an impact load of 40Kg on that same piece of wall board.
I take the point about not assuming that the wall maybe not designed to take the load, and fitting is at the owners risk, However I clearly said in my post to remember to take the TV off the bracket before towing

Reactions: Buckman
Sep 13, 2023
Visit site
The problem the OP has is that I think that the wall that they are looking at is a board which backs directly on to the shower. I am in my Alpine 2 as I type. Hence there is no scope to put long screws in as they will puncture the shower wall, neither can they put some reinforcement on the other side of the wall board as it would be fixed to the inside of the shower. It is a wasted space but much better to put some stick on coat hooks and use it for a lightweight coat or dig lead.
The other place they may be considering is directly over the near side dresser but that is against an outside wall. May be stronger but I would worry about puncturing the outer skin.
Has to be said that much as the Alpine 2 has much to commend it, there are areas of daft design that wastes space. The near side dresser and the under sink cupboard being glaring examples.
Mel
Edit. Just been on on Swift Touring Caravan Owners Group on Facebook 😲There is a post by Steve Webb asking the same question but putting the bracket on the wooden “framing” ( sorry the OP will understand) of the wall directly above the dresser. Other posters say in rely that they have done this and it is OK. Wouldn’t like to say myself but the OP may want to have a look.
Mel
Thank you! I’ll have a look what we can do with the framing to attach something. That is the wall I’m looking at, opposite the kitchen. It looks like it’s framed for the purpose of putting a TV, otherwise I have no idea what they thought you’d use it for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts