Television issue

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
my television in my caravan keeps going into standby mode, when i switch it on it stays on for about 30 seconds then goes into standby mode i switch it back on and it does exactly the same thing again i have tried it at home and it works fine can anyone advise please its driving me mad

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried replacing the batteries in the remote control, or placing the remote control out of range of the TV ?

The reason I ask is that on certain models of TV, when the remote control batteries are very low they transmit false “ghost” signals, most of which are translated by the TV as a standby request.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Have you tried replacing the batteries in the remote control, or placing the remote control out of range of the TV ?

The reason I ask is that on certain models of TV, when the remote control batteries are very low they transmit false “ghost” signals, most of which are translated by the TV as a standby request.

Surely that would also happen in the home?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Steve
The most common and perhaps obvious is the sleep timer and idle standby mode need to be switched off. See your tv instructions. However that doesn't explain why this doesn't happen at home. So two other things. Is the power supply from the EHU to the caravan sound? Is your aerial booster functioning correctly? Do you have any other electronic devices in the caravan that maybe interfering with the TV sensors for remote control?

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi, this may seem daft but when you are out of area the first thing your TV will do is look for a signal. So in the first 30s when it is on you need to scan for TV channels. That`s how mine works, but I stand to be corrected. If this is the case you will have to rescan when you get home

Regards
Simon

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Not exactly the same problem,but when our TV is using the roof mounted aerial the picture pixelates and loss of signal message comes up every now and then on the screen.We haven't pinned it down but we think it's due to sites' weak electrical supply.It seems to happen during high demand times such as dinner time.
Incidently when using the satellite dish we don't experience this problem

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
SEMPTIE said:
Hi, this may seem daft but when you are out of area the first thing your TV will do is look for a signal. So in the first 30s when it is on you need to scan for TV channels. That`s how mine works, but I stand to be corrected. If this is the case you will have to rescan when you get home

Regards
Simon

I ours is the same regarding that it needs to be tuned in every time on site otherwise you get 30 seconds and it'll automatically give you a count down and switch off .

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
It won't be a voltage question because mains voltage varies very little. Also the tv probably operates on 12 volts anyway. Suggest it might be signal strength. If it is tuned in properly then some tvs are programmed to switch off after certain time if you don't do anything to them or there is no signal. Weak signal can be due to the aerial, coax connections and other stuff running. I notice where we have a weak signal the truma pump will stop the signal, purely due to magnetic fields. What sort of aerial do you have?

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
waffler said:
It won't be a voltage question because mains voltage varies very little. Also the tv probably operates on 12 volts anyway. Suggest it might be signal strength. If it is tuned in properly then some tvs are programmed to switch off after certain time if you don't do anything to them or there is no signal. Weak signal can be due to the aerial, coax connections and other stuff running. I notice where we have a weak signal the truma pump will stop the signal, purely due to magnetic fields. What sort of aerial do you have?

'....purely due to magnetic fields.' Eh? If the TV mutes on a weak signal when you operate the pump it is nothing to do with magnetic fields, it is just pure radiated interference and maybe a dip on the supply to the aerial amp.

Not knowing the age of the OPs van, I would observe that any vans made much more than about a decade or so ago not have modern copper foil screened co-ax cable fitted so the cable itself will pick up signal and cause degradation to the signal coming from the aerial.
Add to that (with no disrespect) that most people haven't a clue about aerial direction and polarity and you have the answer. You've only got to look around on a site and see how many aerials are at 45 degrees (which is never used for TV broadcast) and pointing the wrong way (compare with the warden's fixed aerial)!!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried running the TV direct from 12V just as a process of elimination. It would prove your mains power supply or not.

We always run our TV in the caravan on 12V as we then dont have the power box cluttering things up.

Not exactly the same problem,but when our TV is using the roof mounted aerial the picture pixelates
I dont know how true this is but I was once told by an engineer that if you have a very weak signal, turning up the GAIN on the status box can exacerbate the problem rather than help it. I always have mine on MIN and dont seem to have any problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts