Television reception Spain

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have heard a rumour that BBC tv now cannot be received in Southern Spain, with ITV soon to be lost also. This comes from someone in Mojacar. As we are travelling next week can anyone confirm this. Just wondering if it is worthwhile lugging TV etc if we can't use it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The new Astra satellite launched a short time ago is being commissioned and gradually taking its channels. It has a far smaller footprint that is optimised for the British isles which means a weaker signal as you move south. I've read that you would need a dish greater than 1m to possibly obtain a signal in southern Spain. It looks as if your friend has found that to be correct. You could try Internet TV.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok dont know much about this but Sky has not moved to this new satilite so if you take your sky box with you wouldnt you still get english programmes?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Down near Malaga at the moment......did not bother to bring my Sky kit + 1 metre dish as could not pick up any British channels down here last year even on Sky's southern beam.......... New Sky Satellite being commissioned at moment and no one knows what the reception areas will be....... You need a good internet connection to stream live TV........better than most campsites........British internet TV players do not work abroad as they are blocked since your computer will have a foreign IP address........ Spanish companies now offer a service that gets around this restriction ......they will also provide you with internet access via the 3G network if you need it...... I have free Wifi on the campsite I am staying at and making do with radio podcasts.....................
The good old British invented TV ........... the Germans ...Dutch...French....are all down here in their caravans and camper vans watching satellite TV from their respective countries so it can be done!!!!

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I had a glich last year but only for a few hours, and managed to watch Downton Abbey on my laptop using www.filmon.com. so it looks like I will be using it again this year. However, that was at Dolores, which is around 20 miles from Torrieveja. Will take the TV and stock up on DVDs before I leave the UK.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Confirm the BBC now cannot be received in the Mojacar area. Camp wifi will just about run filmon but not in the evening when everyone is indoors trying to use it or Skype.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
For the record the satellites are NOT Sky, they are owned and operated by a company called SES based in Luxembourg. You do not need a Sky box to receive them. Sky just use their services as do the BBC. However you may well still be able to receive Sky programmes as they actually use a number of satellites located in a satellite cluster at 28.2E only one of which - as now used by the UK national terrestrail broadcasters (i.e. BBC, ITV, Ch4 and five) - has the new smaller footprint.

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Just come back from touring Spain along its southern coastal area from Valencia to near Gibratar.
The "normal" UK channels were switched onto Astra 2F while we were there. I have a one metre dish and we were unable to get any of the "normal channels. The only UK based broadcast was BBC World. However there were other English broadcasts available from Chinese, Russian and Euro News. No BBC radio channels were available.
It does seem unfair that there are loads of German, Dutch, French, Italian, Turkish, Arabian, etc, etc, but no UK TV.
There are probably very valid reasons why they have been effectively switched off to a majority of Europe, but everyone else seems to be broadcasting.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......yes I was down near Malaga earlier on in the year and did not bother to take my 1metre dish as the loss of signal had already been flagged up.

The expats down there are all going for internet TV at so many Euros/ month but the onward march of the internet now sees free provision from Filmon.

I was on a site with free wifi but with so many users the signal was poor and TV via Filmon was intermittent.
It was very easy to download BBC radio pod casts via the web.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
If you were getting BBC World TV it would suggest that you were on the wrong bird.

You won't be able to get BBC domestic channels from 2F but your should still be able to get Sky originated channels as most of them come from Astra 2A or Eutelsat. Have a look at www.lyngsat.com to see what comes from where.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts