Television reception?

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi, We are totally new to caravaning to please excuse our lack of knowledge. We have an external aerial and have just purchased a Freeview LCD television. The only channel we are getting are the normal analogue channels. Do we need a special aerial. The caravan is on a site in South Devon which is switching to digital reception only this week.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
you are aware that for every move to a location served by different transmitter that you need to do a channel scan?

If the aerial is the Status round job. whilst it is okay for digital you will struggle to lock on to any channels where the signal is anything but strong; to be honest they are all but useless most of the time.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
That sounds like a status aerial, which will receive freeview.

But i found ours to be poor, i now have a ariel fitted to a pole attached to the jockey wheel.

as JTQ has stated you must retune your receiver, each time you change location.

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Ok...... tha aerial is called an omni-directional aerial and is designed to recieve signals through 360 degrees. Unfortunately it recieves good and bad signals at the same time.

In order to get reasonable / better reception you will be better off with a directional aerial. Either one you put up yourself on a pole (sometimes attached to the A frame or side of the van. Another option is the Status 530 aerial which is attached to the roof in much the same way as your Status 315 you have.The mast is located in a wardrobe or overhead locker and can be elevated from inside the van. It can also be vertically aligned as required in some areas.

Have a look at your caravan dealer, they all are normally on display.

Hope this makes sense to you,

Jim

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
If you have a Status omni-directional aerial you will get the best results if the booster is on its highest setting. We have this aerial and get really good freeview reception, also the signal will get a really big upgrade once the analogue is turned off..

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
If you have a Status omni-directional aerial you will get the best results if the booster is on its highest setting. We have this aerial and get really good freeview reception, also the signal will get a really big upgrade once the analogue is turned off..
Depends where you are though!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Another important issue in being able to tune in is the quality of the tuner fitted into the TV. They are far from all as good as each other.

We have an obsolete SONY 15" which can and does get pictures where many sets can't including the MobileTv that's integrated into the van.

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

Tried the built in Status areil in a few locations and found it to be nothing but poor at best. Used freeview with Areil on A Frame with no real problem (just have to retune channels every move but no great hardship) Also found in one area no digital signal and site power booster tv box had been stolen, so went to B&Q and for less than

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
So far in 4 trips since I bought my Bailey Ranger with the Status omni directional aerial I have failed to pick up a freeview channel and while on 4 of the 4 trips we got analogue signals, the picture was unwatchable. I have bought a cheap digi Sat system, but have yet to sort out a way of getting the cable from the dish into the caravan (without having to have a window open).

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Tried our Status aerial on the new van at Southport last October with a Toshiba with built in freeview, excellent picture got all freeview channels, Mrs well pleased.

Don't know how it will work at sites with bad reception such as Sandrigham, have been told that the EHU sockets will only transmit analogue.

Anyone know when CC intends to upgrade EHU sockets to digital, been told it's not that easy to do.

NigelH

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
The CC site at Edinburgh had digital TV piped into their EHU bollards. I think the Status aerial only works in areas of very very good reception. I have had more luck with a little indoor set top aerial (which I at least could move around).

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
William

not sure what layout you have, but we have a coax running under the bunk into the bottle box,(requires hole drilling through from bulkhead into bobottle box) then drilled a hole in the plastic bottle box floor, to the outside.

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
William

not sure what layout you have, but we have a coax running under the bunk into the bottle box,(requires hole drilling through from bulkhead into bobottle box) then drilled a hole in the plastic bottle box floor, to the outside.
Dangerouse drilling into Bottle box from inside caravan as this is highest pottential for getting gas leak into caravan...unless you done gas tight seal to cable.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Dangerouse drilling into Bottle box from inside caravan as this is highest pottential for getting gas leak into caravan...unless you done gas tight seal to cable.
The greatest risk to a gas leak is in the habitantion area, the hob,cooker,fire,hotwater boiler, are all potential leaks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts