Thank you BBC

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve always thought that the BBC licence fee was good value for money and I am aware that last Autumn the government were making noises about cutting it right back possibly to a subscription service like NetfliXs, Sky etc. But with the advent of coronavirus and lock down I’ve appreciated even more the benefits of this public service broadcaster. The Beebs ability to respond not only to news but in putting out a whole range of services and programmes via the airwaves and internet has quite frankly put other media providers to shame. Even our 15 year old granddaughter has been doing bedroom gym classes as well as picking up the educational programmes, whilst her mum like the free audio books.

At times I don’t align with Aunties view of the world but at time like this I appreciate her being there with such a raft of talent and ability to flex as developments occur.

PS The next series of Killing Eve has been brought forwards and I’m still on episode 2 of World on Fire.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I’ve always thought that the BBC licence fee was good value for money and I am aware that last Autumn the government were making noises about cutting it right back possibly to a subscription service like NetfliXs, Sky etc. But with the advent of coronavirus and lock down I’ve appreciated even more the benefits of this public service broadcaster. The Beebs ability to respond not only to news but in putting out a whole range of services and programmes via the airwaves and internet has quite frankly put other media providers to shame. Even our 15 year old granddaughter has been doing bedroom gym classes as well as picking up the educational programmes, whilst her mum like the free audio books.

At times I don’t align with Aunties view of the world but at time like this I appreciate her being there with such a raft of talent and ability to flex as developments occur.

PS The next series of Killing Eve has been brought forwards and I’m still on episode 2 of World on Fire.
Try Sky TV more informative better reporting and not left wing,

Reactions: Grey13

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I hope this isn't interpreted as " political." However, I am becoming extremely concerned about attempts to undermine the BBC. It is still the most reliable and respected news source in the world.
Perhaps attacks from both the left and the right are the result of its reporting news and opinions that do not reflect the political views of the committed? This happens when outlets try their best to be impartial. Life and politics are not black and white.
People who want (fake?) news and opinions to conform to their convictions can source;
a) Fox News- for the right wing perspective.
b) RT- for the left wing perspective.
Let's not undermine attempts to find and publish/broadcast truth..
End of (non political) lesson.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The widespread availability of instant mass communication via social media gives everyone a platform with no accountability.
All mainstream news outlets come in for criticism from those who disagree with the views and opinions that are routinely imparted with the news.
The BBC is funded through compulsory subscription via the licence fee which gives the general public the right to criticise when they feel that the opinions are at odds with public opinion.
Unfortunately for the BBC if politicians win an election with an overwhelming majority, and the general perception among these politicians is that the BBC have not been completely impartial, the funding is open to attack.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Blimey! You must be almost as decrepit as me.
I remember Macdonald Hobley evening presenter in DJ. My dad bought the first tv in our street. His demob grant of £400 and all the neighbours would come round for significant events like the Coronation. Drink flowed freely.

Reactions: PTA and camel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
24 hour rolling news has in many ways devalued news broadcasting, not only for the BBC but for all channels which carry 24 hour news.
Back in the day the national news would come on and the newscaster would report the facts more or less accurately.
These days we have the news studio anchor person and various so called editors and special correspondents who give their opinions and who invariably try hard to adopt a combative posture whenever they 'interview ' some hapless political figure from any political party.
The 'interview' is often more like a cross examination conducted by a barrister determined to catch the interviewee out or to trip them up.
Because of this, political figures try hard to avoid giving direct answers, so the whole thing becomes a meaningless merry go round until the interview ends.
The special correspondent or 'editor' then gives their take on the proceedings and quite often the studio anchor interviews the correspondent.
It's not only the BBC who are guilty of this, but it's only the BBC that we are required by law to pay for whether we like it or not.
I'd argue that more of us would prefer to keep the BBC than to undermine or damage it, but along with all tv news providers they should listen to a wider spectrum of opinion from their audience across the whole of Britain, not just from the London bubble

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
My purely personal opinion regarding the BBC is that they are no better or no worse than many other broadcasting companies, rather than it being the BBC as a company that is better than others I see it as they have some excellent news reporters and some awful, so do other channels, the daily briefings have shown just how bad the reporters are, every day we have to listen to the same waste of time questions, a question gets asked then the next reporter will rephrase it and ask the same question, it is more a case that each wants to hear their own voice live on tv, I don’t think the BBC are any worse than others but I certainly don’t think they are any better, I’m confident that should there ever be a referendum on the BBC continuing to exist and being paid for by licence money, it would be a definite vote to disband the corporation and it wouldn’t be missed at all, any decent people, reporters, actors, presenters etc etc would be snapped up by other broadcasters and the rest would have to get a proper job, close down every BBC tv and radio channel, cancel the licence fee immediately, it’s a disgrace that we have to pay for something that we have no choice as to whether we want to watch it or not, how would people feel if they were told they had to pay a fee to fund sky or netflix etc etc regardless of whether you watch it or not? Personally I wouldn’t miss the BBC whatsoever, they only exist because it is forced on us by law not because we choose for it to exist.

BP

Reactions: Grey13

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts