The Caravan Club 12 oclock rule

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Parksy, I take your point that both of the caravanning clubs could well monitor forums such as this one, but if they do, they don't appear to be doing anything to resolve the problem.

As for lobbying, all clubs have to have a constitution ( A set of rules )this should lay down any proceedure for changing existing rules, failling that, I suggest those that feel aggrieved by this rule make the effort to attend the annual general meeting and express their dissatisfaction there.

But that would take more effort than just moaning on forums like this, so I don't think that will happen somehow.

Steve W

G

Lobbying the Clubs, or any institution is what any average citizen would think would be the best way to highlight concerns and get change.

Unfortunately, I do not believe it works that way except in exceptional circumstances where a tidal wave of opinion is addressing a particular issue. I am not stating that the Clubs et al are against representation but merely pointing out that as large Organisations they are like huge ships. They take for ever to turn. Each year they look at what they plan to do as far as their business is concerned. Once that is agreed and implemented it is obviously difficult to change the strategy. There is, dare I say it, also a lethargy from the senior management to push for this, as it indicates that they have not been bluntly 'up to speed', and nobody admits errors do they? Even attending the AGM may have little success as firstly you have to get the topic on to the Agenda, or raise it under AOB. Even then you have to get a majority of votes in favour, and usually even although the hall may back you, there are often hidden votes that are managed by the Board.

Now I am not stating it is impossible, but Joe Public has to get an awful lot of his/her mates to tag along to get anything to happen. As we know even sending petitions with a multitude of signatures can often only get a 'we will look at it' which means 'we will bin it asap'.

My suggestions for anyone to try and get something changed in either the CC or C&CC is to first write a formal letter to the Secretary asking the procedure to have a motion submitted to the AGM. Once that is confirmed then it requires as many members as possible to write offering support to the Motion. It is also a good idea to send a copy of the proposed Motion to each and every Board member in advance and ask for their support. Ideally, something like this Forum could be used as a catalyst, but it is possible Haymarket feel that is outside their remit. The other option is for a 'chain letter' to be circulated, we all sign it and send to a common source for submission to the Club. If we are lucky it will get on to the AGM and then we can attend said AGM and see what happens. You never know we may be lucky and win the vote. At least the Club will be aware of the concern of a significant number of members and will in time probably move towards a solution.

The catch in all this is getting the required support in more than just a arbitrary manner. A 'I am with you all the way' on the Forum is not really enough. It requires written support with name, address etc. Far to many people like the idea, but cannot be bothered actually getting off the sofa.

Sorry for the long winded comment but unless we arrange a convoy of caravans endlessly passing by the Club head office with megaphones of course, then I suspect we are 99% talk and 1% action.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm all in favour of those who feel that they want to change the rules for them to propose a motion at the next AGM and then for it to be voted on by the club members - then we'll see how many are really upset about the rule and how many are happy with the present situation or just don't care anyway.

If the majority of memebers are in favour (ie over 50%) then lets change the rules.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am amased at all the comments within this forum .

Having been a member of the cc club for the past 10 years , arriving about 11oclock and leaving by 9-15am at the latest,why is it now that certain people are having problems with the arrival and departure times.

When first joining the cc club one agrees to abide to the set rules , if you do not like them as it would appear you do not then leave, let the rest of us who enjoy the cc sites .

As previously stated when the income of caravanners onto site is a very large number, the wardens correctly so put up the notice will all members please vacate their pitches by 12oclock.This can happen any day of the week, If that particular day the incoming caravanners are small then the same wardens allow you to stay extra hours.

The fairest way to solve the problem would enforce a rule of minimuim stays of 3 nights.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Having been caravanners for almost 30 years using mainly CC sites,we have abided by the 12 o'clock rule - because that is what we are offered. Many factors influence departure time eg. distance to travel, weather on the day, places to eat locally or en route. I think feeling is changing regarding departure times because nightly fees are also getting quite expensive, and workers in particular, want as long a Sunday as they can reasonably get. I think a 2.00 clock departure is a good compromise in that newcommers get a reasonable afternoon but those leaving have the choice of lunch at least before having to pack up and leave to head home.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Chrissylizzie,

A reasonable idea as you say.....but how long would it be before people started complainig about being thrown off site at the ridiculously early time of 2pm on a Sunday afternoon when they have to work all week.

People who have worked all their lives and now retired and even people who are working but on their hard earned holidays are unable to stay on sites for more than weekdays because all the sites are full at weekends.

It's a double edged sword isn't it.

(Ducks back down behind parapet).

Regards,

Ron.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, we are a young family with two children, both myself and my wife work full time, due to extras on site ie extra charges for each child, awning, dog, etc we now find we pay on average

Jul 8, 2005
Visit site
Totally agree with Ron. I joined the CC in 1968 so have had 40 years of the CC rules and at times have not agreed with some of them but have just got on with it. Now that I am retired if I decide to go away for two weeks unless I book well in advance I am turfed off the site in the middle of the two weeks as the site is booked by weekenders who have travelled a few miles. I have no complaints about that except that if I arrive after 12 I expect to access my pitch after I book in.

If people are so keen to stay on, book another night and leave early in the morning! I have done this in the past.

Another alternative is to join your local Centre and go rallying and usually you can stay 'till 4 pm

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I agree with you Ron in that it proves that there is not one time that would suit all people's needs. If I am arriving I would like the option of arriving earlier in the day. If I am leaving I would like the option of staying later!! So you see, there is no easy solution!!

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
as i've said before I plan my journey traffic permitting to arrive as early as possible but on the other hand when it comes to leaving i'm usually gone by 9.30 I don't really go away weekends but onthe few that I have i've booked an extra night and left at teatime

TRENDING THREADS