The Caravan Club 12 oclock rule

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Agree in principal with Pip, but I suppose the practicality of facilitating a variety of departure times would make bookings, arrivals and departures a very complicated process.

Two weeks ago I asked for a late departure and the warden said simply, no probs leave whenever you want there is plenty of space.

Conversly, on a different booking, I amended the booking on line for another site and found that the cc club system offered me a variety of departure times in 2 hr blocks up until 20:00 !

Take a look, login, go to 'my bookings', View a booking, go to additional requests, then select 'change'. On the subsequent page arrival and departure times can be selected from the drop downs. Baltic Wharf and maybe others contains a range of times until 20:00, although other sites are only up until midday.

I chose the 18:00 - 20:00 departure time and the subsequent email confirmation confirmed this departure time.

On the day of departure I showed this to the warden to check how this would work with keys etc and they refused point blank to honour it despite the fact that the departure time was confirmed in print.

I've tested it since and the facility is still available at Baltic Wharf.

I've taken this up with the club as I don't see the point of offering a facility on line which isn't honoured in practice.

Be warned if you thnk you have made this type of arrangement it may well not be honoured.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pip,

Unfortunately it requires extra work to put in place staggered arrival and departure times yet no site could cope with us all arriving or leaving at the same time. Imagine the queue trying to book in. Most CC sites are flexible and I personally have not had a problem. But that said even CC will have jobs worths. Vote with your feet. Appreciate you dont wish to lable the site but we have the same constraints with time due to work and plan to use a cotswold CC site. DID YOUR ONE HAVE A LARGE WILDLIFE PARK NEXT TO IT ???
Ian , I did not hear any lions . I note others comments about booking an extra night in order to guarantee your pitch for the whole day , thing is this then only removes another pitch for the night when infact it actually would have become free later in the afternoon .

We have been to other CC sites and managed to stay longer , i think what annoyed me more than anything was the bluntness shall we say with which the request was received .

I posted the comment to judge the response , before writing to the Club to voice my opinions on the weekends events , i seem to have touched a nerve .

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
I have always found the CC very helpful when we ask if we can stay a little longer.

I am fully wheelchair dependent and it therefore takes me more time to get ready but I have asked on numerous sites about ataying after twelve and they have said that it is not a problem and that I can stay until two. I do try to get off for twelve but there are times where I just can't do it but as I say I have asked if it would be possible.

There have been one or two occassions where the wardens have asked if I could be as quick as possible as they require the pitch and I have done as it works both ways.

I did stay on a private site in Scotland, a lovely site and I explained my situation on arrival and asked if it would be possible to leave a little later on the day of our departure. They said it should not be a problem but that I had to go and ask on that day. The site was really quiet and we went and asked at reception to be told that we had to be off the site for twelve or we would have to pay. We asked how much and we were told that we would have to pay

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I have no problem with a hard and fast departure by time. I just think that 12 noon is too early. The majority of people arrive on site in late afternoon/early evening. There are times if I have a long distance to travel that leaving in the morning is what I want, but more often than not barely having time for breakfast before you have to start decamping is a real pain in the behind. Not only doe sit shorten your weekend but also means that you have to get up on the Sunday as early as you do for going to work during the week, thus spoiling one of the major attractions of caravaning (ie to relax). As I said a departure time of 14:00-16:00 depending on the time of year would not cause any major inconvenience for those arriving (and lets face it Sunday is not a major arrivals day) but would be a major plus for those leaving. This thread is aimed at CC sites but applies equally to C&CC and private sites.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's well known that I'm not a CC member, I'm a member of the C&CC but I rarely use their main sites.

I do however endorse Susan's point. We've recently returned from a cs which is our lot's version of a Caravan Club c.l.

We had much more space than would have been the case on a mainstream site, it was quiet apart from over the weekend on this particular site and there was a shower / toilet block but we used our own. The whole thing was less expensive and more relaxed than on any commercial or main C&CC site that we have stayed on.

There was absolutely no time pressure regarding our arrival or more importantly our departure time and I'd suggest to forum members who encounter departure time problems with main sites to give c.l's a try.

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
It is alright to say to use CL's or CS's but not a lot of them have facilities that I requires and having a son that is twelve years old I would rather he found some company.

Horses for courses comes to mind but the only way to address this issue it to ask the CC to do something about it.

Mar 24, 2008
Visit site
We all know that the departure time is 12 o'clock. People seem to forget that to be allowed to stay on after this time, and expect to do so free of charge, is a bonus not a right. Most holiday houses don't allow you to arrive before late afternoon yet expect you out by 10am so the CC in comparison is more than reasonable allowing a full 24 hour stay. That you arrive after 12 o'clock is your problem not theirs and if you think you can get a better deal somewhere else then go somewhere else.

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
love to see a face of someone who want later times turn up on a site at 12 and told by the wardens sorry you can't come in till 8pm as we have let them stay later you would moan about that more.

12 is 12 and it works

it also works the other way can you arrive 6 hours early and expect to get in i think not

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Sheila , i tried the first 10 people request with the wardens , but this fell on deaf ears, on the road away from the site outfits were driven by the older generation as you say
Is there a problem with the older generation? One day you will also be old! Why can't a retiree arrive on site at 12pm?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
If you want to stay later all you do is book the pitch only for the Sunday night and pay the pitch fee only. I have doen this one C &CC sites no issue which is why we no longer belong to the club. By the same toke we have never had to pay on a CC site and have always been allowed to stay on past 12pm unless it is a Bank holiday weekend. C & CC stinks!

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
This problem will never get solved. There will alway be those who want a bit extra and feel that it's their right. As was said earlier if you wnat your own rules, buy your own site. We always aim to arrive after 12 and it's bloody annoying to see all the "hangers on" waiting unti 4 or 5 in the evening and then scuttling off leaving all the best pitches empty. The other problem is the Early arrivers who feel that they can get in before everyone else and cause havoc in the entry roads as vans are trying to get past each other because the basic rule of leaving before 12 and arriving after 12 is being ignored. Why is it those that are at still working feel that those who've probably done 40-50 years of work and are now enjoying a well earned retirement are less entitled to a Sunday afternoon on site.

I've had my stint of only having weekends and am now retired, so I feel I can comment on both sides of the argument

If you don't like the rules go somewhere else and let those who are happy with them stay.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Dave as I have said, I have no problem with a hard and fast departure time (also arrival), I just feel that 12 noon is too early. Having the hard departure time 2 hour later at 14:00 in the winter and 16:00 in summer would greatly reduce the numbers of people looking to be allowed to stay later (without paying) and really would only inconvenience a small number of early arrivers. I don't deny that it would inconvenience some, but I am sure far far fewer than the 12 noon departure inconveniences. I am not a pensioner basher, but they certainly do have an advantage over the employed when it comes to using the Caravan Club, mainly because they are able to book every weekend as soon as the club opens up bookings for the year. This is a luxury few employees will have. It is made worse by the fact that half the time the people don't show for the booking they have made. Incidentally I attend my local centres rallies and the older members also book into every rally as soon as the years booklet comes out. They then (sometimes) book out of ones they are no longer interested in at the last minute. This again disadvantages people like myself who can often only find out a few days in advance if I can get a given weekend off.

Regarding this issue, no one should be able to book more than 2 stays, no more than one month in advance. Would be fairer for the employed and would mean the club is less likely to loose money to no shows.

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
12 o clock rule

This is one rule that needs looking at and up dating fast.

weekenders really need to be able to stay on until 2 pm and am sure most would not mind paying a small fee for that.

12 o clock is just to early for families who are having fun and enjoying themselves and relaxing from work.

The oap's have five days out of seven without the laughter of kids and people enjoying themselves.

Give the workers a chance its much to ask for.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I really cant see why moving the departure time to 2pm on Sundays only is such a big issue. Its a 2 hour extention for on one day a week for goodness sake and it would make such a difference to those who have to leave on Sunday to get back to work. There are plenty of us.

BTW " if you dont like the rule buy your own site" - a really sensible contribution to the debate if ever I heard one!!!

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
personally I always try and arrive as near to the earliest allowable time at least for my main holidays. I travel overnight stop in the services and time it to arrive within the first hour. That way we get everything sorted and set up while fresh and can enjoy our holiday more and relax

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I don't know why every one is getting theuir knickers in a know as most CC sites will let you stay on at no extra charge providing they are not expecting a load of new arrivals in the afternoon. Although I may not agree with it, I think the 12pm rule needs to remain in place in order that it can be enforced when required. Why should any one who has booked in on the Sunday afternoon be expected to wait around until 4pm before they can start pitching the unit and by doing so waste half their day? Without a doubt this thread shoudl have been named "Pensioners not welcome on Sunday afternoons". Remember one day without doubt you will be a pensioner!

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Martin J.

Really glad you liked my suggestion, I have several others to offer to deal with this type of moaning, but I doubt if they would pass the moderators.

Steve.W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Been following this thread since it started, so here goes with my views. I have no real problem with the 12oclock rule. When we arrive on site we plan to be there as early as possible, and if we had to wait until later in the afternoon we would be far from impressed. We generally ask to stay past 12 on the day of departure and almost always it had been granted, a couple of times we were able to stay until 5. But if the board is out stating departures by 12 noon we dont bother to ask we pack up and go. I can see the point of weekenders wanting to make the most of the weekend, we do to as we both work full time. All I can say is if you dont like the rules go somewhere else. Having variable departure times to benefit weekenders would just be confusing. If we arrive on a Sunday, and we often do for holidays, we want to be there at 12 not 1,2,3 or even 4oclock. I think the 12oclock rule works and have always found the warden accomadating if we want to stay later.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin J.

Really glad you liked my suggestion, I have several others to offer to deal with this type of moaning, but I doubt if they would pass the moderators.

Steve.W
Steve W , the aim of the original post was not to " Bash Pensioners etc " , but it seems that certain people are of the opinion that we cannot express a reservation on a rule that could be changed , and as quite a few have agreed would not affect that many . Ian in the post above says why should he waste half his day by arriving later / mid afternoon on sunday but then have the following working week for us workers free. We the workers are wasting our day off by having to leave at midday .For info I have contacted the CC , but only after having gained a feel for what is a very valid and resonable request to the club . We are not talking flexi hours , but only on a Sunday , and yes I will be a pensioner one day and I will remember what it was like to have to leave at Midday , I will try to arrive later or even on mondays , to give those who would like the time on site to at least have a chance to enjoy it to the full.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Why don't all the people that appear to be incensed by this 12.0 clock rule, lobby the club concerned and demand a vote to establish exactly what the veiw of the majority is. Then perhaps we can bin this continual snipping at the different parties expressing their opposing veiws.

Steve W

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
To be honest Steve, the debate on this forum is good natured and members taking part have been reasonable with one another.

Our friend Dustydog who is away from the forum on family matters contacted the Caravan Club about another matter and asked if they would make a statement on this forum but he tells me that they declined to do so on that occasion.

It would be nice to think that both major clubs monitored this and other caravan / camping forums, I know to my cost that the C&CC did at least once ;0)

They would gain an insight into the current thinking amongst their membership and take action to improve the services that they offer.

I can understand why no club posts comment on forums, it's probably not the way that they want to conduct their business.

They are missing a trick if they don't benefit from the 'instant focus group' that forums provide, Swift and Bailey recognise the value of internet forums.

How would anyone who wanted to go about lobbying the club? Do they have an active website to address these issues or must it be done either at meetings or via snail mail?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts