The caravan has been separated from the chassis

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some things appear to me from the pictures.

It would appear that the fixing bolts have pulled through the floor. Understandable due to the soft sandwich construction. But I can only see 4 places on one side and just 3 on the other, plus two on the cross members. Though there are plenty of fixing holes.

Also.

If the bolt, nut and washer, had pulled through the floor. Why are they missing from the chassis? There just appear to be small-headed bolts on the cross members and a little something on one rail.

John
I find the pictures to have insufficient detail to be certain about the size of fixings and what's left. I suspect the moments prior to the incident would tell us a lot more.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I find the pictures to have insufficient detail to be certain about the size of fixings and what's left. I suspect the moments prior to the incident would tell us a lot more.
Completely agree. But still begs the questions, why so few fixings? and where are the bolts?

Logically, the remains of all bolts should still be in the chassis. In the same way they are in the cross member. Was the head of the bolt too small for the hole in the chassis? Perhaps they pulled through.

John

Reactions: ProfJohnL

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The above is a very different item to the light weight caravan the OP had, with very much higher weight and costs to build implications.
I am not convinced claiming that an item built for a different market, one with way higher ruggedness, and where weight implications are better tolerated, helps at all in claiming that technique should have been employed here in the OP's case. A product designed to be light weight. Also, I expect a product priced to sell more expensively, because of its higher cost to build.

I would agree with the OP, their caravan's body seems lightly secured to the chassis.
However, I still feel the primary and overwhelming cause of the caravan's damage lays elsewhere than with that feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erdener
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As far as I know , there are no construction regulations in the U.K. regarding floor to chassis attachment.
UK floors are 22/25 mm ply.
The OPs looks very thin and flimsy.
John Cs blown up photos show no sign of a penny washer sized bolt head pulling through the thin floor. In fairness the entire caravan by U.K. standards is very flimsy.
The question for me is the overall extent of damage. Had the chassis not parted company from the body would the damage have been greater? Academic really.
Turkish Consumer Laws are unknown. Do they have something similar to our Consumer Rights Act 20215?
Sorry , not much help to the OP.

Reactions: Erdener
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
UK floors are 22/25 mm ply.
I don't think caravan floors have been solid ply for a long time. It would be a lot stronger if it was. A typical description of an insulated floor (which I stole from elsewhere). Is:

“Caravan floors are typically sandwich construction - thin plywood top and bottom with insulation in between - total thickness varies but Baileys quote 44mm for 2006 models.”

I think the thin ply is only about 3mm top and bottom.

It is made like a plasterboard. What strength it has is in the design. Imho. If bolts are to pass through to the chassis. They should have steel spreader plates on the floor surface. Hiding these with the furniture would be difficult.

IMG_1386.jpeg

Reading on another site. There are dome headed bolts through to the chassis. But, unlike the OP’s, they are only about 450mm apart.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John
I’ve lost the plot! I fixed a delamination floor issue on a friends Lunar some years ago ! I was thinking about the overall thickness of the OPs floor

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I suppose it's possible that while some bolts pulled through the floor, others simply snapped during the body pulling away from the chassis. It's all supposition really but certainly not something I've ever seen before.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts