The end of a era !!

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well after enduring a damp week away with kids being bored we have come to to a desicion I never thought imaginable...we are selling up, packing it all in.
After four caravans and many years of happy memories my wife and I have come to realise that the money we invest and have tied up in caravanning must come to an end.
Oldest daughter off to uni, middle daughter 16 not really that bothered and youngest daughter wanting to go somewhere warm and sunny, which sadly is not UK.
For some reason the last couple of years we have found things hard ,always watching the dog, trying to keep the kids entertained, and it just sees as soon as we get home it just gets easy again.
We love our caravan which we have owend from new but feel we owe it to the kids to take them on a holiday abroad so we are planning Florida next year ( not everones cup of tea i know )
I'm sure i will always get envious when I see a van on the road and maybe one day will give in and return but for the forseable future its back to a tow free life.
Regards
John
( I will still be a caravan geek though, that never leaves you !! )

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It's your decision and I'm not criticizing it, but I suspect that there are just as many people using the arguments that you are putting forward to give up caravanning as their reason for starting it.
Maybe when retired, you'll have time to take the caravan further afield to where it is warm and sunny, if that is what you are looking for, so the caravanless years will only be temporary.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi John, I understand your reasoning totally and can relate to it very well although in reverse, I am now in middle 50's and kids have grown and fledged thankfully to happy lives of their own, we did all the hot sunny holidays abroad for years until around 5 hrs ago when we decided to give a caravan a try, we now love it and are total converts to the way of life, I've little doubt you will be back in a van once the kids are off on their own but now is the time to do things that you all enjoy, one thing I miss is the weather abroad but that's about it, anyway enjoy the sunnier side of holidays and hope it all go's well.

BP

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John,
In the words of the prophet - been there done it!
We also packed up shedding when in the position you are now in. Instead whilst both working we saw as much of the world as we could. Then after about 10/15 years of this we went back to vanning after we both retired and are now in the 8th season of 2nd caravan life. At present we can justify the cost side (but its a close thing) and we are in the position now to use the van more often and on our own terms. However it is again becoming difficult to justify the annual outlay plus the difficulty these days to get a pitch where we want to stay! We used to take the van to the continent every summer but could never justify this any more after carefull review of all the costs and distance's, instead we jump on a plane twice a year for an instant fix of sun and good food which sees us through to the next soggy uk summer.
Good luck for the future.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Think most of the other replies sums most of it up John, many of us have done the same thing, I did, and now back for the last 3.5 years.
And we love it and our only regret is that we can only do 30 to 40 nights because of work commitments. No doubt you will return in a few years time, just one experiance that helped make up our mind to return was the time spent in airports!!! We flew from Exeter (15 mins from home) to Jersey, a 45 minute flight, oh no it was'nt, arrive 2 hours earlier to check in,and then add in a 2 hour delay. But the best bit was the return flight a 2.5 hour delay on top of the 2 hours for check in. Think I could have walked across the water quicker!!!!!!
We now take our daughter ( she still loves it at the age of 28) and grandson about 50% of the time. And the rest of the time is just OH and myself.
So what I'm trying say is, enjoy whatever you decide to do, and take into account all the pitfalls for and against.
Good luck

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
we went through the same thing many years ago. Our kids wanted to try abroad, I,d already done that in my younger days before children. anyway we sold up the caravan and went abroad for a few years. Now the kids have left home and we are back caravanning, been caravanning for abt 9yrs and loving it. Now we are going away every week and the time is flying past its that good. A stress free lovely life at long last.

PR

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
We went to caravanning after many years of wet camping in the UK combined wit three foreign, hat holidays abroad each year. Now spend an amazing amount of time in the caravan, and take it abroad to places where it is Hot. I am sure you will be back!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good luck to you John, we're thinking about jacking it in too.

Lisa
smiley-cool.gif

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Paul_ with many numbers says

“we jump on a plane twice a year for an instant fix of sun and good food which sees us through to the next soggy uk summer.”

This I cannot argue with and sounds like anjoyable plan! Left home at 4:10 and was stting in Vinaros (Spain) at 11:30 enjoying 30degrees

BUT!

Pitching up at Friday teatime in 16 niegh 14 well 12degrees and raining knowing that all you have to worry about is the dish being knocked over is also very appealling.

Enjoy what ever

Kel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
LMH said:

Lisa
smiley-cool.gif
Oh Lisa that's not good news, is yours the same reason as John's? Have you got teenagers?
Stay in touch with the forum and let us know what you decide, good luck and hope you make the right decision for you and your family.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Ah, the dreaded curse of the "wouldn't be seen dead...." teenager. We gave up camping as our birth children got to teenage years and restarted when they were old enough to be left at home without burning the house down. Trouble is then we started fostering (we love it really) and our foster son is now a tenager. Have no intention of packing it in again, but it does mean we don't go as often as we might, and go to sites/locations where he would be most entertained. We do also go on the occaisional package holiday to break it up for him.
So, I totally get it John. Have a break, wait a few years until the youngest has no intention of coming with you, wherever you go; then come back. it won't be much longer after that and you will be taking the grand children. Thats when your children REALLY appreciate you.
all the best
mel

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
<<<<<<<<<<<<< being serious now
smiley-surprised.gif

Being truthful this was the reason we bought a 2 berth. After bringing up our own kids we thought it was time that we spent more time together now we are retired and in the autumn of our lives. This doesn't mean we love our grandchildren any less because we have been to places in the van near to where they are renting a cottage which is usually Cornwall. Last year we paid for a cottage in Cornwall for the lot of us. Now 2 of the grandchildren are of the age they don't even want to go with their parents, one is working and the other starts at Cumbria University in a few days time.
Besides, a larger van would have been too tight a fit on our drive. That's my story at least and I'm sticking to it
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Heh! heh! heh!
smiley-laughing.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
LMH said:

Lisa
smiley-cool.gif
Oh no Lisa!
smiley-surprised.gif

And there's me thinking caravanning was in your blood
smiley-wink.gif

John
I bet in a few years time you'll be tugging again.
All that travel abroad stuff was ok when we were younger but we now hate all the queuing and hanging around airports, and we have the dogs!!

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Ma Lord B

Your cunning plan was our cunning plan but the results seem to be different! Have awning will erect and sleep!

If the car ever gets fixed (out of action now for 6 weeks following me blowing the engine, they cannot get it right) we were planning a weekend this week end and it was going to be; the motherinlaw and our grandson in the van and ‘she’ and me in the awning! Got a strong feeling it will not happen but I will know more when I get a status report on the car later on today,

I need therefore to know how you get away with it?

Apr 22, 2004
Visit site
We had the same thoughts as our 2 boys reached the age of going to university, now one is in the Royal Navy and the younger one is living in Lille France doing a PHD. Without the caravan we would not have seen as much of them since they moved away.
We have now spent time on the continent as well as North Wales, youngest went to Bangor University and a lot of trips down to Portsmouth to see the oldest and his new family.
We would not be without the caravan and going to see the kids is great but expensive.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
kelvin said:
Ma Lord B

Your cunning plan was our cunning plan but the results seem to be different! Have awning will erect and sleep!

I need therefore to know how you get away with it?

Simple Kelvin, we only have a porch awning, the Kampa Rally 260, and with everything that's kept in there like shoes, table, clothes airer, recliner chairs etc. there's no room for putmeup beds
smiley-smile.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
<<<<<<<<<<<<< being serious now
smiley-surprised.gif

Being truthful this was the reason we bought a 2 berth. After bringing up our own kids we thought it was time that we spent more time together now we are retired and in the autumn of our lives. This doesn't mean we love our grandchildren any less because we have been to places in the van near to where they are renting a cottage which is usually Cornwall. Last year we paid for a cottage in Cornwall for the lot of us. Now 2 of the grandchildren are of the age they don't even want to go with their parents, one is working and the other starts at Cumbria University in a few days time.
Besides, a larger van would have been too tight a fit on our drive. That's my story at least and I'm sticking to it
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Heh! heh! heh!
smiley-laughing.gif
Did LB say he was being serious
smiley-undecided.gif
?

Well think I have gone the other way, I spent so much time working when the kids were little I hardly saw them, had a failed business partnership that I had to walk away from. Yes I had the mortgage arrears, etc etc etc and use to buy the weekly shop on credit card just so the little uns could eat, so to save every thing i got myself a full time job and had an evening job as well. Hence the reason this year to purchase six birth van and take the grandchild away as much as poss. I suppose I am trying to make up on what I missed out on with my own little uns.

And on the other foot I can see where you are coming from, as at the moment I only have the one to contend with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smiley-smile.gif

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
What sort of van are you selling. We are looking for our first van and we also have the 1.9tdi Touran so interested in your towing experience with that vehicle.

TD

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Ma lord B

My car is still in a poor way so no go this weekend and probably for a few more to come (don’t ask)!

But this is not what I am writing about. I need Ma Lords advice because I am going wrong somewhere? Because we have our grandson for the weekend and upon telling him of the demise, he spouts up with: we can go for a ‘Big Pan’ then (Chinese eat as much as possible). OK! I said and arranged for me, she and himself to go tonight. Oh no no no it didn’t stop there. 1st his dad found out, couldn’t do tonight so 5 for the Big Pan tomorrow night. Oh no no no it didn’t stop there. My other son got wind and now it’s 7 for the big Pan tomorrow night.

Bets are off that the mother in law will find out so it’s probably 8 for the Big Pan tomorrow night. And And Guess who will end up paying. (the mother in law I hope)

Will they ever leave us alone?
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts