The new x-trail

May 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi All

Can anyone out there tell me how the new x-trail is, I am currently running an 06 2.2 dci x-trail with no problems what so ever. I was thinking on the new 2.0 173 dci to tow my sterling europa 620 any advice would be great.

Thanks

Stephen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the new XT 150 and its just done 1000 miles

I have only so far had two short tows but it seemed effortless

I have had 3 2.2 diesel XT and as they say in all the reviews the new one is much better --hard to believe I know

The engine is very smooth indeed and the gearing is higher so that its quieter at motorway speeds

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi stephen, is your sterling europa 620 the twin axel with fixed bed because theres 2 620's?.

if it is the sterling europa 620 twin axel it weights 1640kg fully loaded. i got them off whattowcar.com

with the new x-trail 2.0 173 dci the figures are below

europa 620 1651kg fully loaded with 200kg payload, x-trail 1651kg kerb = running on 98% with 200 payload

running on 101% with 250 payload

with the x-trail you have now 06 2.2 dci 136?

europa 620 running on payload 200 101%

running on payload 250 104%

my figures might be wrong because it might be the single axel 620 you have but if it is the twin axel the figures seem a little high but thats my opinion but im a stickler for the 85% ish.

the santa fe 11 tows a lot more so that might be worth a look.

jo-anne

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi stephen,

We have just ordered our new x trail to replae our 05 model with the 2.2 dci 136. We have gone for the Aventura Explorer 173. Have only had a test drive in it so cant say what its true performance is like but it was very quick, and much quieter than the old model. It drove very well and i think the extra power will be an advantage when towing, especially when fully loaded for our summer hols in france. Also it has a higher kirb weight than the previous model so would be able to tow slightly heavier vans when you would appreciate that bit extra pull. We are very much looking forward to getting it, you can get some decent discount on them now too which is always a good thing.

Darren

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
I cannot advise on towing, but like you I have the 2.2 DCI (2004 T Spec)with the 136hp engine. I have kept it, but now also have the latest 173. I have only done 1500 miles, and have not pushed it, but the extra power is certainly noticeable.

My main reason for writing here is to find out, (assuming you bought one) how you are finding the clutch pedal. I find the spring return is not smooth & at a certain point the tension changes, making it difficult to make a smooth pull away in first & second gears.

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
I cannot advise on towing, but like you I have the 2.2 DCI (2004 T Spec)with the 136hp engine. I have kept it, but now also have the latest 173. I have only done 1500 miles, and have not pushed it, but the extra power is certainly noticeable.

My main reason for writing here is to find out, (assuming you bought one) how you are finding the clutch pedal. I find the spring return is not smooth & at a certain point the tension changes, making it difficult to make a smooth pull away in first & second gears.
I have only just realised, when logging back in, that others had already replied to you. So I would appreciate if anyone has experienced the same clutch pedal problem as me.

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
I have only just realise, when logging back in, that others had already replied to you. So I would appreciate knowing if anyone has experienced the same clutch pedal problem

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Now that you mention it I did find it strange and needed a lot of feel at first but now its second nature

I did learn how to stall it and can now do it easily

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. I am now getting use to the clutch. I have now done 2000 miles & noticed both front discs are getting hot, dusty (brake dust) & smelling due to the heat. They are not smooth to the touch. Will get it checked out at Nissan dealer. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Sep 29, 2007
Visit site
The 173's clutch action is a bit odd - maybe it's the geometry of the linkage, either that or I keep changing my shoes. It never seems to "catch" in the same place twice.

Apart from that it works well enough though.

Shame that the chap who designed the electrics had never driven a VW - he missed so many nice little touches that would have cost peanuts. The headlights are better though, and overall it's highly capable and comfortable.

Bryn

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
Dealer reckons front brakes normal, but at least I have it on record if future problems occur.

Even though I am more use to the clutch, I still find myself having to concentrate to get it right. When I drive another car & get back into this one, I find I tend to 'jerk' when pulling away in first, until I get use to it again.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I've the 150 dci model had it since Oct & with 6300miles it broke down in France 3 weeks ago. Took 7 days to get new part. Hope it 's not going to be as bad as our last one was in the first year we had it. It tows our ranger 460/2 great about 27 to gal.Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts