The saga of French gassing attacks

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Did anyone see Richard and Judy today( I cant believe I am that sad that I watched it)but they interviewed a couple that had suffered gas attacks twice (some people never learn)and also Mike Cazelet who was at pains to point out that the gas used was now in the public domain and went close to saying what it was and went on to say it is easily available so no doubt DIY shops will have a run on it 2mrw.Best way to stop this happening is to only use proper sites or failing that block up all the vents and die from lack of oxygen!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
We returned from france this sunday having spent the last 16 days theire, on our first night we got off the boat at caen at round about 10.15 french time and drove towards trinite, we had done about 80 miles when we decided to stop for a brew and a break at an aire and found about 10 other french and dutch units all fast asleep. having seen so many apparently unconserned people we decided to stay the night after all we had wisely invested in a narcotic gas alarm so we felt pretty safe. i had only just got the legs down when i saw another two english vans pull up and one of the drivers came over and asked me straight out if i was concerned about the possibility of being gassed, i explained that i had a gas alarm due to my concern and as such was confident enough to have a good nights sleep, we ended up with about six uk vans all in a row and all agreeing to keep an eye on each other. it later turned out that one of the dutch people spoke very good english and told me that all the other vans where in a group and all had gas attack alarms fitted to theire vans due to the increasing problem. i would strongly advice anybody going to france to get a gas alarm they are after all only

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
1 day no one has any proof that gas was used or what it was, now its and over the counter UK or anywhere else purchase!

That provides hundreds of options, NOT.

Most advice I've read here relates to safety in numbers and picking and choosing with care where you stop.

We now have a couple doing Richard and Judy, what some will do

for fame! I wonder about such peoples motives. Of course the scares must be a bonus for the gas alarm manufacturers. I'm sure there will be no link, but what a convenient bonus.

"Increasing Problem" but where when and how often compared to any other crime in Europe or the UK. How many have goods stolen from their vans when they are just parked or on a camp site. How many vanners get mugged on holiday or have bags snatched or get cards ripped off in restaurants and shops? I bet a lot more than get gassed!

No doubt continental roads are filled with gas carrying criminals and the lazy continental bobbies are to stupid to have caught on to this crime wave.

Im France we generally find the roads quite quiet at night, I assume that the other night time road users must be gas carrying crims and the police just turn a blind eye to their activities around the many stops.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Since when have Richard and Judy been the purveyors of all truth?

Sorry I still don't believe it for reasons I have already stated several times.

And I wouldn't stop on an aire for a night's sleep, even if you paid me to do so.

There are as I have said 11,000 campsites in France, so why not use those?

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Since when have Richard and Judy been the purveyors of all truth?

Sorry I still don't believe it for reasons I have already stated several times.

And I wouldn't stop on an aire for a night's sleep, even if you paid me to do so.

There are as I have said 11,000 campsites in France, so why not use those?
so you dont believe this threat is real ? but you would never stay on an aire, why?. just out of interest.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To answer the question posed by Evans, if you are travelling through france in the winter there are not 11,00 campsites. We have travelled from Le Havre to Andorra a few times and have always had problems finding a site open.

We have stayed on aires (not out of choice) and the main problem we found was that the HGV's keep their engines running for for their freezers. The noise and fumes mean that you dont get much sleep.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To answer the question posed by Evans, if you are travelling through france in the winter there are not 11,00 campsites. We have travelled from Le Havre to Andorra a few times and have always had problems finding a site open.

We have stayed on aires (not out of choice) and the main problem we found was that the HGV's keep their engines running for for their freezers. The noise and fumes mean that you dont get much sleep.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
We have stopped in carefuly selected stops on numerous occasions and I see no reason to justify our choice of stop.

Biking to Bordeaux a couple of weekends ago we passed I guess Over 250 caravans and motorhomes stopped for the night. I know of a few areas where there can be 200 or so vans and motorhomes parked nearly every night in the summer in France within a mile or two of one another.

I'm still looking for the vast numbers of these incidents.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Gassing is a real problem in Belgium, France, Spain, It's a real problem when it happens to you !! Luckily It hasn't happen to us; but I know of two truck drives who both have been gassed one literally fell out of his truck in a heap. The other was admitted to hospital in Lille with breathing difficulties.

There lots of stories on Motor home forum's and Truck drivers forums and it's not something I think most people boast about.

Icemaker your spot on with your advice especially when a gas attack alarm often have other functionality such as a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm. It's not just caravaners that suffer Recently French football star Patrick Viera was gassed at home as was a some students staying in a Youth hostel near the French Italian Border.

MH

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
P C could well be right about the safety of numbers of vans in the summer.

Most of the people we know who think they have been gassed and certainly robbed during the night, were travelling to Spain for the winter.

You will always get folk who poo poo the dangers and they could well get less experienced people into trouble.

We have been travelling to Iberia for 20 years now and although daylight robberies have been common for all that time, the reports of gas are only within the last 5 years or so.

Unfortunately as soon as a gang is sent down for these things there is a copy cat taking over. It used to be gangs from South America in Spain, then North Africa and currently Eastern Europe.

Hardly a week goes by when the Spanish press doesn't report a new incident.

James

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
We've only ever stopped where there are plenty of others stopping. My point was that there are actually thousands that stop on roads and pull ins every night in Europe and the UK.

Try searching the net for details re these gas attacks on Caravanners. For something that gets so much concern it is hard to find any facts or figures on.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
My ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff docks at 10pm, by the time your off loaded its 10.30pm....which leaves very few campsites to chose that are still open at that time of night.

I therefore decided to drive as far as possible before stopping for a sleep in an Aire / Service station. I finally stopped just north of Nantes after 4 hours driving. The Aire was quite so tried to get some sleep with my head buzzing about gassing stories!

I finally managed to get about 1 1/2 hours before waking still worried sick about Gas Attacks so decided to drive on through the night.

The experience was fantastic , very little trafic just a few lorries. I had slept for about 4 hours on the ferry so wasnt to tired finally arriving in the Dordogne about 10am in the morning.

Afterwards I thought that everything is a numbers game, if you imagine the thousands of people sleeping in services across Europe what really is the chance of being gassed. You have a much bigger chance of being side-swiped by a lorry or van and turning your caravan over on the motorway but you would still continue to use a Motorway despite the risk.

I admit that the risk is there but the chance of it happening to you at that Aire on that night in that country is less than minimal.

On my return to work today a colleague came straight to ask me if I'd heard about a friend of ours who was gassed and robbed just outside Le Mans a couple of weeks back!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are probably right - but why take a risk if it can be avoided.

I still don't believe in stories of gassing though.

Is there a contradiction here in what I have said?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't see anything particularly contradictory in what you say, EoS, since it is pretty much my own view. I certainly believe that thefts and break-ins happen to tourists and other travellers, but I have yet to come across any evidence that gas is involved. The fact that someone asserts 'I was gassed', does not prove that they were.

On the other hand we do not stay on motorway aires when we are on holiday, although we have done it a few times in the past. There are two reasons. Firstly, I do think it increases the risk of being a victim of crime, but more importantly, when we are on holiday, we like to enjoy every moment of the time, not just the bit in between the journey there and the journey back. By stopping off at proper campsites along the way, we can park the caravan in a spot which is likely to be more attractive than the busy parking area of an aire, then go off for a while to find a supermarket, a restaurant or just explore the local area. If we prefer, we can sit outside and relax with a drink, without the noise and fumes from other traffic disturbing us. We have spent many happy evenings in this way, and have often dicovered unknown areas to be returned to and explored properly at a later date.

I sympathise with those of you who arrive in the early hours and personally, in your circumstances, I would certainly look for an aire in which to get a few hours rest before travelling on. But, on the other hand, I avoid these night-time crossings like the plague: that is just not the way I want to start my holiday. Each to their own!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
try doing a search for "narcotic gas attacks" or "gassed and robbed" or even simply "gas attacks" they all return results and stories, searching the internet isnt that difficult. to say that one day we have no proof of gas attacks or what the gas may be is just plain silly, these attacks are relatively unknown in the uk simply due to the fact that few brits have been involved untill recently, it has been a problem mainly in france italy and spain involving mostly truckers who have had theire goods stolen but in the past five years it has spread to the boating community who are seen as rich pickings and motorhome users and more recently caravanners. I too took the threat as something that i did not need to worry about untill it came too close to home when a relative was robbed in spain, everything was stolen and they never heard a thing they sleeped right through it, the thing that gave the gas away was the blinding head aches they both had. most people who have done some simple searches will know what gas is being used and will know why it is easilly purchased even here in the uk strangely for some the product does not have the words NARCOTIC GAS FOR USE IN ROBBERIES written on it, it does in most circumstancies have its legitimate use on the can, how many times have you read a label and seen the words "asphyxiant" written on the product label ?. another clue is in the alarms which double up as propane and butane detectors, i'm not going to say what the most used product is as it would be irresponsible but please before you respond critisising my comments please remember that although you have up to know been lucky and god willing you will never suffer any harm other like me have experianced the trauma that this evil is bringing to our hobby and we only wish to bring the potential threat to your attention.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Front page story in a Scottish newspaper yesterday was of a family from Aberdeen on holiday at a villa in Mazarron, Southern Spain who awoke to find their villa ransacked. Money, kid's computer games, camera, jewellery all gone. The family consisted of four adults and two kids. The father described how he had gone to sleep on top of bed clothes with his legs lying on top of a pair of jeans, when he awoke the jeans were lying on the doorstep of the front door, he reckons the theives must have lifted his legs to get to the jeans. They described symptoms like headache and sore throat. He is normally an early riser because of his job and his first indication that something was amiss, before he saw the place had been ransacked, was that he had overslept by several hours,something he says he never does. Police are investigating and all seem to be convinced the theives introduced gas via air conditioning system in similar fashion to the robberry at footballer Patrick Viera's villa. This is the first report where I've seen the name of the gas actually printed. End of story relates how this gas has been used to "knock out victims in camper vans and HGVs parked overnight in motorway service stations in France and Spain"

Robert

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
**** happens every where.

No doubt some old couple on holiday had their pocket pi cked in Amsterdam , Nice or Rome yesterday.

My brother inlaw Brian was in the Vendee last week and a families van was gone through as they slept on a 4* si te. They lost wallets and cards etc, and had terrible headaches in the morning along with another family next to them.

Gas was mentioned, but others had se en their behaviour in a local bar the night before !!!!!! makes you wonder !

Aug 27, 2006
Visit site
Why is it that no has said THEY have had a gassing attack, it always some friend of a friend or a relative (supposedly) with all the people on forums lets hear from a victim otherwise i wish people would just shut up on this. its just blatent scare tactics.

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why is it that no has said THEY have had a gassing attack, it always some friend of a friend or a relative (supposedly) with all the people on forums lets hear from a victim otherwise i wish people would just shut up on this. its just blatent scare tactics.
Well if you want concrete evidence send an email to sbroom1@ntlworld.com and ask him and his wife if he like being a victim.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Whether these attacks have or have not happened is not the issue but the fact that they could happen. The suggestion that gas could be administered though the waste pipes seems to me to be feasible and would be enough to make me buy a monitor and stay on proper sites

Oct 12, 2006
Visit site
I don't see anything particularly contradictory in what you say, EoS, since it is pretty much my own view. I certainly believe that thefts and break-ins happen to tourists and other travellers, but I have yet to come across any evidence that gas is involved. The fact that someone asserts 'I was gassed', does not prove that they were.

On the other hand we do not stay on motorway aires when we are on holiday, although we have done it a few times in the past. There are two reasons. Firstly, I do think it increases the risk of being a victim of crime, but more importantly, when we are on holiday, we like to enjoy every moment of the time, not just the bit in between the journey there and the journey back. By stopping off at proper campsites along the way, we can park the caravan in a spot which is likely to be more attractive than the busy parking area of an aire, then go off for a while to find a supermarket, a restaurant or just explore the local area. If we prefer, we can sit outside and relax with a drink, without the noise and fumes from other traffic disturbing us. We have spent many happy evenings in this way, and have often dicovered unknown areas to be returned to and explored properly at a later date.

I sympathise with those of you who arrive in the early hours and personally, in your circumstances, I would certainly look for an aire in which to get a few hours rest before travelling on. But, on the other hand, I avoid these night-time crossings like the plague: that is just not the way I want to start my holiday. Each to their own!
Hi Chris

You seem to be experienced in planing your route to spain please could you suggest some good sites for us first timers to use.

We are considering going in January to avoid some of the uk Winter.

Regards

Malcolm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts