The West Country Invasion has commenced!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I did my first towing on the motorway back in July,

This tow was a bit nerve racking, partly I not a fan of motorway driving at the best of times, but also due to how I had to load the caravan, normally I'd always put my awing over the axle, but due to the 70kg tow bar weight, I had to put the awing at the back of the caravan to achieve this. Tried all other combinations but nothing worked so a little bit apprehensive but did seem to get a stable tow

But some of the other caravans tanking past us, was a bit concerning, I'd estimate some of the speeds were in the excess of 70mph.

I live near junction 23, and well come to the main school holidays, Friday and Saturdays, the motorway is chocka, with traffic heading down to Devon and Cornwall.

But what you've always got to remember, there's an hell of a lot of Gypsies transferring the motorways, and earlier int he year, when there was an nasty accident back in at the beginning of the pandemic when the media were showing caravans and motorhomes heading down towards Devon and Cornwall in convey style, then one blocked the motorway due to over turning, it wasn't holiday makers, it was Gypsies heading down, funny enough after the police checked the vehicles and caravans, they found 3 stolen caravans and several stolen cars!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I did my first towing on the motorway back in July,

This tow was a bit nerve racking, partly I not a fan of motorway driving at the best of times, but also due to how I had to load the caravan, normally I'd always put my awing over the axle, but due to the 70kg tow bar weight, I had to put the awing at the back of the caravan to achieve this. Tried all other combinations but nothing worked so a little bit apprehensive but did seem to get a stable tow

But some of the other caravans tanking past us, was a bit concerning, I'd estimate some of the speeds were in the excess of 70mph.

I live near junction 23, and well come to the main school holidays, Friday and Saturdays, the motorway is chocka, with traffic heading down to Devon and Cornwall.

But what you've always got to remember, there's an hell of a lot of Gypsies transferring the motorways, and earlier int he year, when there was an nasty accident back in at the beginning of the pandemic when the media were showing caravans and motorhomes heading down towards Devon and Cornwall in convey style, then one blocked the motorway due to over turning, it wasn't holiday makers, it was Gypsies heading down, funny enough after the police checked the vehicles and caravans, they found 3 stolen caravans and several stolen cars!
We went out beginning of July and when on the motorway stick to 60mph, but were over taken by numerous cars towing caravans or trailers. Even saw a car towing a trailer use the third or fast lane to overtake. He was probably doing more than 70mph!
I seem to recall the Traveller incident and the police recovering some stolen caravans.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We went out beginning of July and when on the motorway stick to 60mph, but were over taken by numerous cars towing caravans or trailers. Even saw a car towing a trailer use the third or fast lane to overtake. He was probably doing more than 70mph!

It's no excuse but there are some motorists who genuinely don't know about the reduced speed limit when towing or the outside lane ban on motorways with 3 or more lanes.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with you RogerL about the reduced speed limit it no excuse some i think are not bother about speeding with a caravan on back me i stick at 58mph on motorways and 50mph .

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As with any roads, motorways will always have a few idiots driving along with everybody else.
The majority of caravanners are safe drivers but the idiots are always among us.
I adjust my speed according to road conditions and to what I can see, the 60mph national speed limit for towing on motorways is a limit, not a target to be maintained at all costs.
Let the idiots speed away in front, if they do manage to clip a few minutes from their journey I wonder if the stress involved is worth it?
For us, the journey is part of the holiday.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts