The white stuff again!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For the first time in several years we had a rather heavy snowfall in our area. For us anything over 2" is heavy. LOL! Anyway I had no option except to get in the vehicle and drive even though it was snowing quite a bit.

Came to a rather steep hill and in front of me there was a Discovery and also a Range Rover who were stopped. I could not see any obstruction so passed them and went on my merry way up the hill. In my rear view mirror I could see the RR doing a U turn. At the top of the hill there were 3 HGVs parked up as they did not want to risk the descent in case they started sliding on the packed snow.

Once on the dual carriageway I got stuck behind a some one doing about 20mph which is fair enough considering it was still snowing quite heavily. As my vehicle was more than capable I pulled across into the other lane to overtake. I was not going much faster than the vehicle I was overtaking, but I noticed a pickup bearing down on me at quite a rapid pace and the next minute he was tailgating me. When it was safe I moved back into the nearside lane and the pickup disappeared into the distance.

Eventually got to my destination and I was 5 minutes late for my appointment. Coming back I returned through the town as the roads were a lot clearer and also quiet.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You handle the situation quite well took it nice and steady to your appointment So far in North lincolnshire we have had no snow

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was hoping for some snow in order to see how the all season tyres performed as we live at the bottom of a reasonable slope. They did okay yesterday on some muddy sections up on Salisbury Plain. Didn’t have to engage the X drive mode.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I love the snow, and driving in it, every car I have had, (since being sensible and having to think about the wife and rug rats) I carry all sorts of survival stuff, Foil blankets, energy bars and water, self heating coffee, first aid kit, tow ropes, jump leads, Shovel, grip mats, strobe lights, and if decent snow is predicted snow chains, and a bucket of Dishwasher salt, 10 kg for £5 from local hardware store.

Thankfully never got stuck for more than a couple of hours, normally due to helping to get muppets out of trouble on very light snowy roads, with tyres that could not handle the conditions.
At the moment my tyres are Nokian Weatherproofs, which are just down to 4 mm so hopefully will get me through the winter.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I love the snow, and driving in it, every car I have had, (since being sensible and having to think about the wife and rug rats) I carry all sorts of survival stuff, Foil blankets, energy bars and water, self heating coffee, first aid kit, tow ropes, jump leads, Shovel, grip mats, strobe lights, and if decent snow is predicted snow chains, and a bucket of Dishwasher salt, 10 kg for £5 from local hardware store.

Thankfully never got stuck for more than a couple of hours, normally due to helping to get muppets out of trouble on very light snowy roads, with tyres that could not handle the conditions.
At the moment my tyres are Nokian Weatherproofs, which are just down to 4 mm so hopefully will get me through the winter.

Modern summer tyres just cannot cope with much depth of snow. Like you I use all seasons which have a major deterrent effect on the white stuff. In 1981 we were travelling back from Leicester to Wiltshire with snow all of the way down the M5 and M4. It was an outside lane trip as lanes 1 and 2 were snowbound and had stuck vehicles. We had ourselves, two kids and the Labrador and Red setter plus Christmas presents, shovel, wellies, thermos etc in the 1.8 Marina estate. . Going eastwards on the M4 towards the Bath A46 junction we passed many vehicles that were stranded. We managed to get up the slip road onto the A46. Great I thought it’s downhill from here into Bath. But the road was closed. A large snowplough was being dug out by smaller diggers from the nearby road depot. So everyone was treated to hot soup and drinks in the depot. In the early hours we left to take the M4 back to Bristol and home via the A4. The Marina had what used to be called “ town and country” tyres and did fantastically well.

A certain lady of note travelling to Windsor down the A46 from visiting relatives in Gloucestershire didn’t do too well either, and her Range Rover plus security detail stayed that evening at a hotel in Old Sodbury.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
How deep was the snow where you are? Any photo pics?[/QUOTE

Hi otherclive not very deep but since then we have had some rain /sleet and the sun is out but i could not take my mobility scooter out early this morning but i have been out now and the dogs love there run , next time i will take a picture .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: otherclive
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We have winter tyres fitted to both our Minis as SWMBO is very wary of snow and ice; they come in to their own below 7deg c and given we wear our sets of tyres half as much well worth it; haven't got them for the Navara but am assuming the 4wd will sort things out-bit tail happy otherwise! Given how winters perform though we could find our Minis being the vehicles of choice if we do get any snow-last year my wife had to pass a struggling disco-in her Roadster S (Mini)! His face was a picture!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have winter tyres fitted to both our Minis as SWMBO is very wary of snow and ice; they come in to their own below 7deg c and given we wear our sets of tyres half as much well worth it; haven't got them for the Navara but am assuming the 4wd will sort things out-bit tail happy otherwise! Given how winters perform though we could find our Minis being the vehicles of choice if we do get any snow-last year my wife had to pass a struggling disco-in her Roadster S (Mini)! His face was a picture!
Don’t forget they changed the rules of the Monte Carlo Rallye to stop the mighty Mini keep winning it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Freezing cold here, only a slight smattering this morning. Just had a yellow weather alert for tonight, snow. No panic it’s not usually bad here. Must admit my Sorento had BF Goodrich All Terrains. They were brilliant in the snow and mud but noisy on ordinary roads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts