Thetford c250

Feb 19, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, I have a sterling eccles 90 jewell 2010 and having issues with the c250 cassette toilet, it's basically not working, the issue is with the 12v, the 12v comes up through the skim of the floor inside the cassette compartment on the right hand side, I have cut the cables and temporarily connector blocked to eradicate resistance issues within the compartment wiring, I only get 2.5vdc, are there any other connectors that I can check as wiring seems to go through skim of flooring so may be fighting losing battle, am tempted to run a new cable under van direct from battery unless I've missed something obvious, thanks for any help

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi Mattwelsby85, welcome :)

What do you mean by the skim of the floor, skim is not a term I am familiar with.

Lots of very knowledgeable people on here, and a very good chance they will provide you with answers.

Anseo.

Feb 19, 2019
Visit site
Maybe the wrong terminology, basically between the undercarriage of van and the floor, this is why I cut the cores as they don't seem accessible past this point where they enter the cassette compartment, unless I'm missing something obvious

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
With the Thetford C250 that is not working best to start at the the inside of the van. If yours is the one that has the little red on led that tells you when its full then there is a good chance the problem is with the micro switch on the board. My van is now 9 years old and on its fourth board . The grey inlay on the top of the flush tank needs to be removed carefully as you can use this again.You then have the board in view press the clips in to release and gently remove the board . Its possible to just give the micro switch a small blast of switch cleaner NOT .WD 40. that stuff has no place in a caravan at all.Now press where you would normally press and try it. Also you will see to the left of the board is a connector block with about 4 wires to it. carefully remove connector block and again a squirt of switch cleaner. and replace .This is a common fault with C250 its a condensation trap and both board and switch get corroded .. Good luck Im sure you will get this sorted .If this is not applicable to your van Im sorry but I ve shared my issues with you and it will help somebody

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
With the Thetford C250 that is not working best to start at the the inside of the van. If yours is the one that has the little red on led that tells you when its full then there is a good chance the problem is with the micro switch on the board. My van is now 9 years old and on its fourth board . The grey inlay on the top of the flush tank needs to be removed carefully as you can use this again.You then have the board in view press the clips in to release and gently remove the board . Its possible to just give the micro switch a small blast of switch cleaner NOT .WD 40. that stuff has no place in a caravan at all.Now press where you would normally press and try it. Also you will see to the left of the board is a connector block with about 4 wires to it. carefully remove connector block and again a squirt of switch cleaner. and replace .This is a common fault with C250 its a condensation trap and both board and switch get corroded .. Good luck Im sure you will get this sorted .If this is not applicable to your van Im sorry but I ve shared my issues with you and it will help somebody

I had to remove the board on top of the tank and did just as you say. I also sprayed it with some pcb lacquer. Two years now and going strong.

What’s the objection to WD40? I use it to lubricate and keep the internal cupboard and locker hinges working smoothly and rust free.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
WD 40 is a multi-purpose penetrating oil , basically not good for switch contacts, probably make them worse (electrically speaking) It is however a great lubricant and water repellent

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Caravan manufacturers do not recommend WD 40 or the service engineers . There are better lubricants in the field that dont clog up .The information I received was WD 40 is not suited to materials within the caravan As posted above this one, electrical components in a caravan WD 40 would lubricate ok but 9 cases out of 10 will make switches worse also on the printed circuit boards.
Sir Roger .

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Another fan of ACF50 here, though it is not specifically designed for electrical contacts it doeas a great job of protecting them.

Available in aerosol cans or bulk liquid with an applicator (the latter is the cost effective option)..

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Mattwelsby85 said:
Hi there, I have a sterling eccles 90 jewell 2010 and having issues with the c250 cassette toilet, it's basically not working, the issue is with the 12v, the 12v comes up through the skim of the floor inside the cassette compartment on the right hand side, I have cut the cables and temporarily connector blocked to eradicate resistance issues within the compartment wiring, I only get 2.5vdc, are there any other connectors that I can check as wiring seems to go through skim of flooring so may be fighting losing battle, am tempted to run a new cable under van direct from battery unless I've missed something obvious, thanks for any help
Have you cleaned the fuse and it’s holder at the rear of the cassette tank housing? Spray with a quality electrical contact spray like the one suggested by Anseo.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
The C250 has to be the worst thing Swifts ever came up with so many things to go wrong.. The reed switch in the cassette housing for one then the fuse thats in there so suspect to corrosion and then the dreaded board on the flush tank.As I have said I am on the 4th board in 9 years .. I am giving up on the idea of the flush light as you know when the cassette is full by looking down the hole .When my service comes round my service engineer is going to do away with printed circuit board and reed switch and put in a Micro switch for the flush. Problem gone .I know this isnt everybodys answer but it does away with two problems .
Sir Roger

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
The C250 has to be the worst thing Swifts ever came up with so many things to go wrong.. The reed switch in the cassette housing for one then the fuse thats in there so suspect to corrosion and then the dreaded board on the flush tank.As I have said I am on the 4th board in 9 years .. I am giving up on the idea of the flush light as you know when the cassette is full by looking down the hole .When my service comes round my service engineer is going to do away with printed circuit board and reed switch and put in a Micro switch for the flush. Problem gone .I know this isnt everybodys answer but it does away with two problems .
Sir Roger

Fortunately mine hasn’t been anywhere as problematic as yours. But should it give problems then I too will be fitting a manual switch for the flushing.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
.When my service comes round my service engineer is going to do away with printed circuit board and reed switch and put in a Micro switch for the flush. Problem gone .I know this isnt everybodys answer but it does away with two problems .
Sir Roger
Its not the reed switch that is the issue - these contacts are commonly used on doors for home alarms and how often do they fail?
The issue as I found, is with the pcb that holds the reed switch. The copper tracks are very thin and the pcbs are not lacquered, so they corrode away to nothing., as do the fuse blades and their holders. Micoswitches have contacts too and there have been plenty of problems with these in caravans when used on taps.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Not had a problem with the reed or blade fuse in the cassette locker since I used a surgical glove to protect them from damp. Before using the glove it was a regular change for both. Also had to change the circuit board a few times.
Worst piece of equipment in a caravan but nearly all manufactures use them

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts