Thetford Cassette toilet Seal lubricant

May 18, 2008
Visit site
Helo all, just preparing the van for another outing and on checking the loo, found that it wouldn't open smoothly. The seal seems to be 'sticking' to the slider. Is there anything I might have around the home/garage that I can lubricate it with? Don't want to ruin the seal!!

Thanks Peter

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi peter,

You can get the proper stuff from Thetford. Whatever you do dont use anything like vaseline. Make sure it's a Silicone based lubricant.

Regards

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Lidl are selling silicone oil much cheaper than caravan accessory shop its also good for the rubber seals around windows and doors ,i also use virgin olive oil

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
I bought one can of Thetford stuff and when it ran out i used WD40. that's all i use now and I've never had a problem. Anyway, you can simply renew the seal if it goes soft or whatever. Not that i have had to.

May 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all, been and bought a can of silicone lube, seems it will do a lot more jobs around the house as well.

Thanks for the input.

Peter

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hey Peajay

The Thetford stuff's the biz.

It's also great for lubricating your awning channel and, as I have found, your shower door screen (at home and in the van)!

We could start a thread - 'What do YOU use it for?'

Oo-er....

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tram,

"I bought one can of Thetford stuff and when it ran out i used WD40"

You may want to rethink that - WD40 is a mix of petroleum hydrocarbons - and like Vaseline, these compounds cause rubber to swell and go sticky. You'll find that each application is less effective as the seals expand and the rubber starts sticking - needing another spray - and so on.

Silicone oil (and vegetable oil) aren't absorbed by rubber - so the lubricant stays on the surface (admittedly veg oil goes rancid but that's easily wiped away)

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts