Thetford cooling fan issue.

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,
I have a Thetford K1520 series oven hob unit in my 2018 Swift Challenger 480 Hi-Style and have noticed that the fan cuts in immediately after lifting the glass cover, even without switching any of the rings or oven or grill on. On my other Thetford units the fan only cut in when the temperaure was high enough to warrant cooling.
We're finding this anoying as we like to store our gas kettle on the gas rings but can't now as the fan is on all the time and the continual whiring is a pain! I was told that after about 20 mins the fan should stop but after testing that theory it was still going. Your thoughts, advice please? Thanks.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sounds wrong to me, ours have only responded to the heat.

To store things, we bought a shelf liner material cut to the size of the glass top. It improved the appearance but also prevented the glass from scratching over time.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clearly the fan system is faulty, There is probably a sensor circuit or switch somewhere that's malfunctioning. I suggest you ask the dealer to repair it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,
I have a Thetford K1520 series oven hob unit in my 2018 Swift Challenger 480 Hi-Style and have noticed that the fan cuts in immediately after lifting the glass cover, even without switching any of the rings or oven or grill on. On my other Thetford units the fan only cut in when the temperature was high enough to warrant cooling.
We're finding this annoying as we like to store our gas kettle on the gas rings but can't now as the fan is on all the time and the continual whirring is a pain! I was told that after about 20 mins the fan should stop but after testing that theory it was still going. Your thoughts, advice please? Thanks.
We were told that the fan is only supposed to work after everything has been switched off and is there to cool down the oven and not the hob. Our issue totally contradicts this. The caravan would be well out of warranty if bought new from a dealer, but if bought recently dealer needs to sort out issue.

However going by past experience it would probably be best to contact Thetford and ask as they are quite helpful.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We were told that the fan is only supposed to work after everything has been switched off and is there to cool down the oven and not the hob. Our issue totally contradicts this. The caravan would be well out of warranty if bought new from a dealer, but if bought recently dealer needs to sort out issue.

However going by past experience it would probably be best to contact Thetford and ask as they are quite helpful.
If the fan only operated after everything was switched off, It could easily overheat while using the oven.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the fan only operated after everything was switched off, It could easily overheat while using the oven.

John
I am not sure how it is configured, but it is there to cool down the oven once finished cooking. The ovens are not a fan oven which is what we thought originally.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Our oven has a fan which comes on as the oven or grill heats up and can carry on after cooking is finished - it's there to prevent the exterior of the oven overheating.

I presume it's switched by a simple temperature sensor.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am not sure how it is configured, but it is there to cool down the oven once finished cooking. The ovens are not a fan oven which is what we thought originally.
My point was, that the fan should come on before the cooking finishes in order to keep the compartment from overheating. The fan may well run after the cooking finishes if the temperature is still high. Or as Roger said.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The K1520 has two cooling fans , computer style. Controlled by a sensor . According to various other Forums they will kick in at a preset temperature and the run until the lower temp,is reached whether or not the oven grill is in use.
Courtesy of Caravan Talk

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Many thanks for all your replies. I have an update. The Thetford technical dept and my supplying dealer have confirmed that the K1520 series have been "re-engineered", making the fan cut in as soon as the hob lid is lifted. This apparantly is to keep the oven body cool as they were having issues with the body of the unit getting too hot and I'm fine with that and can tolerate the fan running for 20 mins and then cut out. However it doesn't and keeps on running so this is the issue that needs to be addressed. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts