Thetford Fridge not cooling

Sep 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi, we have a 2005 Thetford N90P fridge fitted in our van which does not cool either the fridge or freezer compartment on gas or electric. The van has been unused for 8 months and when initially powered up the van earlier toady it was far from level. I've now levelled the van.

Removing the outside vents I can feel that the heater element is working well (too hot to touch) on both gas and electric but the heat generated only travels through the first 6 - 8 inches of pipe. I know from a totally different fridge that works using the same heat transfer process that the full length of the pipe should get fairly hot.

I'm guessing that either the system has lost pressure or that the thermostat has stopped working, any ideas anyone?

We're going away tomorrow for a week so does anyone know any mobile repairers in the Poole area?

Sep 14, 2008
Visit site
Spoke to local Thetford agent this morning re my fridge. They have advised fridge probably knackered which is amazing as not even 4 years old yet and probably only been used 15 times!! A replacement is over

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The fridges in caravans are absorption fridges.They have no motor. They work with a mixture of ammonia gas and hydrogen. If the heaters work the fridge should. If the gas has escaped then it won't work at all and this might be a possibility. Have you tried a mobile engineer?

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
Mine seems to be freezing everything. Last weekend I had it on the lowest setting and still the stuff froze, OK it was cold outside (the car window was frozen) but there is no lower setting.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roger

Will Thetford fridge adverts now say

" Our fridges only last four years" I doubt it!

I suppose you have tried to obtain some goodwill from Thetford without success?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ours didn't last 4 months

Once the weather warmed up it was useless and 5 weeks in France in May/ June meant we had to buy a cool box

It was replaced by the dealer on our return to UK

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi, what happens sometimes and for no reason is the lubricant which is in with the refrigerant separates and stops the unit working.

If you turn it upsidedown (take it out of the caravan first) and give it a good shake for 10 mins that should do the trick.

It happened to me and I just rolled the fridge round the lawn for 10 minutes (empty fridge first)

It's cheaper than a new one if it works.

Good luck, Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts