Thetford oven glass lids come loose

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Just a note to check the grub screws are tight regularly as they do loosen and people find the glass lids on the floor after travelling. Ours in our Bailey Pegasus did this and have seen a lot of posts lately saying it was on the floor. I have strapped it with a luggage strap but yesterday used some clear silicone to save me the bother. Let's see if it works.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Good call.

A further warning. Don’t put canned goods in the cupboard above the glass lid. I can vouch that it breaks into 10,000 (approximately) bits. Finding it for years.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Good advice, we are due to go for a short break on 1st October so I doubt I’ll be over to storage before around 26th sept So I’ve put a daily reminder in my phone from the 25th to check the grub screws, not something I’d enjoy clearing up, thanks for notification.
BP

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Interesting !
I have a new (2020) Elddis Crusader Mistral. All was fine when we had a short break in late June. However, after towing from Bilbao to Salamanca we opened the door to find the glass lid on the floor. We contacted a friend and he told us the same thing had happened to his (2020) Crusader. Luckily no damage was caused to either caravan.
As stated , check those grub screws on the hinges!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You would really think that after all of mankind’s advances over millennia it would be possible to keep a oven lid in place. This isn’t a new problem so clearly the manufacturer has no inkling as to the performance of their product.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Lid on floor too. Some distortion of the metal frame but "bendable back".

It's difficult to know just how tight to screw the grub screws - visions of breaking the glass.

JezzerB's use of silicone is something I'd not thought of but, I think, a great idea. thanks for that.

Edit to change "off" to "of"

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Just a note to check the grub screws are tight regularly as they do loosen and people find the glass lids on the floor after travelling. Ours in our Bailey Pegasus did this and have seen a lot of posts lately saying it was on the floor. I have strapped it with a luggage strap but yesterday used some clear silicone to save me the bother. Let's see if it works.
Hello,
Our Thetford stove glass lid blew up when we close the lid onto a ring that was still on (stove didn't have a gas cutout fitted.Never had a problem with cover coming loose.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
A small dab of clear Fernox leak sealer will retain the screws, or some loctite thread lock, but not stud lock.

That's as maybe Clive.
But doesn't alter the fact that you have to risk over tightening the screws and destroying the glass I'm afraid.
I suppose you could argue that if you've judged the tightening ok then your idea would at least preserve it! lol

Fortunately (touch wood) mine has stayed in place so far.

Now - how about loctite and silicone? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's as maybe Clive.
But doesn't alter the fact that you have to risk over tightening the screws and destroying the glass I'm afraid.
I suppose you could argue that if you've judged the tightening ok then your idea would at least preserve it! lol

Fortunately (touch wood) mine has stayed in place so far.

Now - how about loctite and silicone? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Fernox goes onto the screw thread prior to tightening " or Loctite" , otherwise I would have advised using Duct tape, or putty across the screw heads.:eek:

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I found that after my last tyre changes, when i had both wheels balanced, a lot less internal doors were open when arriving on site.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
You would really think that after all of mankind’s advances over millennia it would be possible to keep a oven lid in place. This isn’t a new problem so clearly the manufacturer has no inkling as to the performance of their product.

Which manufacturer are you referring to Clive, the manufacturer of the oven or that of the caravan ?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The microwave cooker is where our 12 eggs travel,, cupboard door over it, so double secure, but have to remember to remove any left when we get home. They can hum if left for 8 weeks. 😫

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts