Thetford Toilet Leak??

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am told by SWMBO on No 2s, lay a cross of toilet paper on top of blade ( lotus Flower) then blade open, and !!!!no skids. Getting very Woosie this thread.
No 1s blade open.
:sick:
Hutch.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
After 38 years useage, didn't realise it was so technical at the loo! (Some of the dangers of Thetford useage I've heard of, Thetford elbow etc. and that , but not suffered from it.)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Been to the van today and replaced the seal and as I had a new blade changed that one as well (Dusty do you want your old one back ;) ) Checked it all and all's well, happy days. :woohoo:

Well it was happy days until I found a leak at the top of the fire flue in the wardrobe, :angry:
Water coming in from the seal on the roof, took the old stuff off and re-sealed, lucky it wasnt raining, but all done.

If I get any more problems with this van I'm going to buy a TENT :lol:

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I have never previously had to replace a main seal because it was split, lost pliability or pee-rotted! The call to replace it is a bit like the call to replace your car battery the moment it won't start leading to loads being replaced unnecessarily, as the cause lies elsewhere.
First time out in our latest van we had this problem too, the cassette being our first wheeled type. At some point a previous owner had applied some sort of tape to the wheel 'tracks', presumably in an attempt to tighten the seal as suggested in a couple of posts. These tapes were now sodden with...pretty disgusting, but the effect had been to make the cassette more difficult to locate properly as something was catching. I removed the tape, replaced the seal, (finding that the old one showed absolutely no difference from the new one). I also realised that this type of cassette has to be clipped home-which I was unaware of-so almost certainly the cause of the 'leak'
Further thorough checking also revealed that there is a separate curved section below the bowl, held with two screws, that aligns the bowl up above with the plastics below, and this had been displaced and had one screw found loose in the compartment, so was probably a contributory factor.

In other words make sure the original components are all in place and functioning as they should before resorting to diy remedies.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Been to the van today and replaced the seal and as I had a new blade changed that one as well (Dusty do you want your old one back ;) ) Checked it all and all's well, happy days. :woohoo:

Well it was happy days until I found a leak at the top of the fire flue in the wardrobe, :angry:
Water coming in from the seal on the roof, took the old stuff off and re-sealed, lucky it wasnt raining, but all done.

If I get any more problems with this van I'm going to buy a TENT :lol:

Keep it as a spare Kev. Somehow I seem to have two spares so I must have had three when I last saw you!! :woohoo:
Just goes to show what looks ok isn't.

Glad you are back to normal and hopefully you have taught Mags how to peeeeee properly :p

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
I have never previously had to replace a main seal because it was split, lost pliability or pee-rotted! The call to replace it is a bit like the call to replace your car battery the moment it won't start leading to loads being replaced unnecessarily, as the cause lies elsewhere.
First time out in our latest van we had this problem too, the cassette being our first wheeled type. At some point a previous owner had applied some sort of tape to the wheel 'tracks', presumably in an attempt to tighten the seal as suggested in a couple of posts. These tapes were now sodden with...pretty disgusting, but the effect had been to make the cassette more difficult to locate properly as something was catching. I removed the tape, replaced the seal, (finding that the old one showed absolutely no difference from the new one). I also realised that this type of cassette has to be clipped home-which I was unaware of-so almost certainly the cause of the 'leak'
Further thorough checking also revealed that there is a separate curved section below the bowl, held with two screws, that aligns the bowl up above with the plastics below, and this had been displaced and had one screw found loose in the compartment, so was probably a contributory factor.

In other words make sure the original components are all in place and functioning as they should before resorting to diy remedies.

Whats wrong with DIY remedies?? Better than paying some "Qualified" person,just for them to tell you It's knackered and you need a complete new unit at so many ££££££££'s
Think after 5 years with this van I am aware it Clicks into place, if not done the blade is difficult to operate anyway.
You also suggest...... leading to loads being replaced unnecessarily, at the cost of a blade and a seal which was done in about 10 minutes coming it at less than £16.00 I think it was worth it, it cured my problem
and is now in working order.

And NO I do not have a screw loose. ;)

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Gagakev said:
And NO I do not have a screw loose. ;)

Ok but you have form :kiss:
68190-Screw-Loose.jpg

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Gagakev said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But as an engineer you should know they are not screws.... they are nuts and bolts :lol: :lol:

They look like round head slotted - machine screws ...... Is that a slot for a screwdriver that I see and not a hexagon for a spanner ........... ;)

round_2_2.png
:woohoo: :kiss:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Sproket said:
Gagakev said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But as an engineer you should know they are not screws.... they are nuts and bolts :lol: :lol:

Is that a slot for a screwdriver that I see and not a hexagon for a spanner ........... ;)

round_2_2.png
:woohoo: :kiss:

OK I give in,,,, I DO HAVE A SCREW LOOSE........Goodnight!!!!!!!!!!!! :silly: :blink: :S

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Maybe not, :dry:

Many screws use a screwdriver head fitting, rather than an external wrench. Screwdrivers are applied in-line with the fastener, rather than from the side. These are smaller than most wrench heads and cannot usually apply the same amount of torque. It is sometimes assumed that screwdriver heads imply a screw and wrenches imply a bolt, although this is incorrect. Coach screws are large square-headed screws with a tapered wood screw thread, used for attaching ironwork to timber.

Hutch.

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Okay heres my take on the subject.

I've used all three main types of Thetford loos over the years heres a few helpful tips

[ol]
[*]I find they only leak if not pushed home fully
[*]Clean check and grease seals a couple of time a year
[*]Always open the blade first, lets the waste away quicker.
[*]If we get a paper jam then it's dam near imposable to get the cassette out till its cleared first.
[*]Loos are fine to use for number 2s just don't use wipes
[*]Don't buy the expensive Thetford paper we have tried lots and find one of the best is Andrex Classic much cheaper and dissolves down well.
[*]No need to lay paper over the blade this can cause paper jams just open the blade before use, number 1s and 2s
[*]We got a second cassette, with 6 of us, 4 kids using at night I got fed up of having to empty the cassette at 3 or 4am (Dad the toilets full. ) Even after emptying just before bed time.
[*]Don't buy cheap chemicals from places like Aldi there a lot thiner don't go as far and don't dissolve the paper as quick plus the Thetford pink flush is supposed to have a lubricant for the water pump, have heard stories of the pumps gelling up solid after using cheap brands.
[*]Start to empty cassette before pressing the air vent button, I learnt this lesson when I pressed it a little quick before I had lifted it high enough and got my hand covered in poop. :sick:
[*]Full strip down once a year you wouldn't believe what gets behind the seals, scum, scale, poop, to name a few
[*]Empty water tank before winter storage.
[*]Bribe the kids to empty the cassette.

[/ol]

There are a few ideas but there are no real SET rules just use as you see fit and what works for you.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You should never grease the seals, not only will stuff stick to the grease it will also be a breeding ground for germs, that might be why maybe you have so much crud behind the seals.

Silicone spray is the best to use,must admit never had to strip mine down.
By the sound of it you may as well use cheap chemicals as the amount you are emptying the cassette , it will never have a chance to break down anything?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
MichaelE said:
You should never grease the seals, not only will stuff stick to the grease it will also be a breeding ground for germs, that might be why maybe you have so much crud behind the seals.

Silicone spray is the best to use,must admit never had to strip mine down.
By the sound of it you may as well use cheap chemicals as the amount you are emptying the cassette , it will never have a chance to break down anything?

Thetford sell a silicon spray to keep the rubbers pliable and lubricated see here but it also says can be used on locks, hinges, awning rails, bicycles, etc. Why bikes??

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
having just read what Reevco has posted sod that I am bricking it up and everyone can go native never mind lotus flower any flower will do or leaf :) :woohoo:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
:eek:hmy: Did you notice WC, that you need to buy 45 cans of the stuff to get free delivery. :(
Hutch.

If you watch the John wickersham video on u tube he uses Olive oil, you should have some in the cupboard
I used the Thetford spray......didnt want to fry he OH's butt :lol:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts