Thetford Toilet

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
hi, iam wondering if someone can advise me, i think i have a thetford 402 toilet any way when i turn the handle to close the blade it like a 2" oblong plate that swings across to cover the hole, however i can still see down into the waste tank either side of the plate is this correct or should the waste tank be completely closed off if so as anyone got any idea what i need to sort this out?
thanks in advance for any advise

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I agree Your Royal Woosieness.

Sounds just like Sir Gagakev's failed blade. I now carry two spares and a full working mechanism for the next time :cheer:

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
There's two bits to the blade movement, the drop and the swing, the drop being achieved by a two levels on the plate that moves with a slope between the two. It seems you need to disassemble the waste container.

The document linked in Sproket's posting is correct but you will have one hell of a job to twist the top plate using the cover as a level. Better to remove the cover (slide it out) and use a bit of 3x2 timber. You only need to turn it for the arrow to point from one marker to the other.

Having said all that are you sure you are fully moving the operating level on the toilet? They sometimes stick part open. Also remember the trap needs to be fully closed before the empty waste container is replaced in the housing.

If you do disassemble the waste container it is a good idea to have a new trap seal to fit, and make sure the float that triggers the full warning is sitting properly in its mount. If/when you fit a new seal wipe it over liberally with olive oil to help it work. It is also not a bad idea to put the full contents of a bottle of Milton in the container in nearly hot water and leave it overnight to remove the crud, especially the calcium from the water.

Good idea to use vinyl or nitrile gloves when working on the box.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
It is difficult to turn the cover with the slider, but it can be done, as I found out whilst on hols. Also change the main seal as mentioned.
Can anyone suggest why this new mail seal still dribbles a bit when being transported? The slider seems a good enough fit until it clicks into position over the hole, then seems v slightly loose. Can't see an easy way to resolve this. Slider appears to be original - do they and the guide grooves wear?

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
If it is the blade mechanism and sounds like it is, it's not a cheap item, we renewed ours over 7 years ago and it cost over £40 back then, good luck and I hope you get it sorted, cheaply too.

Sean.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hang on my old dogs. You're barking up the wrong street.
The blade is a poor technical design whereby a tiny piece of plastic is stressed every time the toilet is open and closed..
The main mechanism rarely fails.
The blade costs £5.00 or less.
Change that first and I am sure you will be okay.
You Do Not have to change the whole unit normally.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts