Thinking of a trip to Koblenz in 2018!

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
With an eye on a possible adventure in 2018, my wife and I are thinking of a trip with our 'Coachman Pastiche 520/4' to Koblenz, Germany!! I wonder, therefore, has anyone done that particular trip with a caravan (not a Motorhome)? If so, I'd love to know more, please - about your route from the UK, Ferries/Euro Tunnel, Sites, Stop-overs, and whether or not you stayed perhaps at the 'KNAUS Camping Park Rhein-Mosel'? If you have and you have a little moment to share it with me then I would love to hear from you. My wife is not too keen on Ferries (even though from our home to Hull is only 166 miles and an excellent P&O Ferry crossing to Rotterdam and/or Zeebrugge) so, possibly, the Euro Tunnel route would suit her better (even though getting down to to the Euro Tunnel Terminal is a very long trip from north Wales!)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi dewin ,
we have not done this particular site in Germany , we normally do France but we would normally drive down from the northeast which is about the same for you from Wales down to Dover and get the shuttle over which takes about 35 minutes on the euroshuttle then from there to where you want to be is only about six or seven hours so depending how you like driving you could do it in a one with a few breaks, we have just come back from Holland via the ferrys which you said but the cost was over £800 return so if you do the shuttles down from Dover to Calais you will save a bit if you don't mind a little bit of driving , hope this helps a bit , craig :unsure:

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi Craig!
Thanks for taking the time and interest to read and to respond to my post. Much appreciated. The information was a great help to me - and confirmed that Ferry prices are quite high (so is 'Le Shuttle', come to that!) I still fancy the trip and I'll start to collate some information about routes, mileage, tolls, Fuel stations .. without forgetting Caravan site(s) for a stop-over or two on the way there and on the return leg. I'll need to find out more about what exactly you get on a German Caravan Site, e.g, Superpitch?; space for a porch awning; electricity supply and waste water /chemical toilet disposal points, etc.
Thanks again for your time.
Happy caravanning!
Dewin

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Another option is t drive down to dover daytime , stop on a site close to the shuttle like what we did the other year , literally 5 minutes drive from it , (Black horse farm cc site), then get a 5am'sh shuttle , ( we got therr earlier and got an earlier train ) and get a good start and you could be at your german destination early afternoon , happy researching !

Craig.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
This is a trip we've done twice, staying at Lenacre Court ,ten minutes from the ferry, Dover /Dunkirk. We then stay for a few days at "camping la Chaumiere",near St. Omer, but have also done it by making our first stop at "camping Roosendaal",in Berlare, in Belgium.
For Koblenz itself, there is a very busy commercial site on the river bank, but I don't know the name as we've never used it.
We stayed at "camping Eissenbachtal" near Montabauer, twelve miles from Koblenz and drove into the city. Parking is good down by the river, with good restaurants there too. Don't miss the river trips and the chair lift.
The campsite is a rural paradise, which Herr Wolfe the owner has created over the last twenty five years. The whole place is a giant nature reserve, and the walks around it superb.Kiddies are also catered for, but the play areas are away from the main camping pitches.
The town of Montabauer is also well worth spending some time in.
I suggest you google the journey on AA maps, but it isn't a difficult trip.
Whilst I and others are quite happy to give advice, I must admit that when I started European touring, I always found it more fun to do my own research, but please don't take that as criticism: it's just my opinion!

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi Craig!
Thank you for that extra bit of information. We stayed at 'Black Horse Farm' on our way to Dover /France three years ago. I liked your decision to take an early morning Shuttle - it's one that crossed our minds too (if, that is, we were to opt for Dover/Calais instead of Hull Zeebrugge). We've driven extensively abroad and always planned our own routes etc - but asking other people's experiences in these things has (on more than one instance, brought up interesting points. Thank you for yours. Much appreciated.

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi Emmerson!
Thank you for your response to my post. Much appreciated and valued. We've driven extensively abroad and always planned our own routes etc - but asking other people's experiences in these things has (on more than one instance, brought up interesting points). The AA Route Planner has its attractions for some but as we've been planning trips long before the internet was even a concept I guess we're kind of used to doing the planning the old fashioned way! Your comments are very useful indeed and I thank you for your time and trouble to write such a helpful response to my post.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If you want your route planned for you then use ViaMichelin.

If I were going to Koblenz I would go Dover/Dunkirk, then up the coast road towards Brugges turning inland towards Bruselles. At the city go round the north side of the ring then head for Liege. From Liege to Aachen then follow the A4 towards Koln turning at Kerpen onto the A61 to Koblenz. The autobahn is free of course but as you will not have a Tempo100 badge on your caravan (requires a test and paperwork in Germany to get one a requirement of which is that your van must have shock absorbers) you are limited to 80Kph. The A61 is a particularly pleasant autobahn to drive with superb scenery.

Give some consideration to staying on a site on the Moselle SW of Koblenz - beautiful country and wine to die for.

You must get a picture whilst in the city of you standing on 'German Corner.'

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Good Evening, Woodentop!

I liked your post very much indeed. I've done the Brugges bit and also the route through Aachen (on my way down to Stuttgart, some time ago now). The information you've provided is most useful and very interesting. The bit about the "Tempo 100 badge" is also very helpful. Thank you for your response and also for taking the time and trouble to write it. My wife and I will look at it again in more detail when we start to compile a plan for the route and stops that we want us take. Thank you once again.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We have done this trip and Germany many many times over 35 years . I can do a route for you with ACSI Camping sites en route. Look at my website in my signature below. You can contact me on there.

DianneT

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This is an interesting thread as for 2018 we were thinking of going through the Ardennes to Trier. After reading the posts on this thread a route taking in Koblenz would look attractive too. Dianne, thank your offer, when our planning becomes a bit clearer I will certainly access your website blog asa source of information.

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi Dianne T!
Many thanks indeed for your most helpful post. Apologies for such a late response ... but I've been away. I will, most certainly, take up your invitation to look at the link. Many thanks.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I have not been on since your posts but have not been well. Fine now. Just contact me when you need more info contact details on my website.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers DianneT

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts