Thinking of changing to an Avondale Argente 642-4

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

We are thinking of changing our current van which is a 2004 Bailey Pageant Moselle to an Avondale Argente 642-4. Does anyone have any comments on the Argente good or bad? Do you know if Avondale will be changing them for 2008?

Many thanks,

Mel.

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Melvyn,

Don't do it! we bought a 2004 Argente new and had nothing but trouble with it but to make matters worse the warranty only covers most things for 12 months and once you have bought the van Avondale have no interest in you at all, I had to buy new tyres for mine at 22 months old as the side walls were cracking and the seating cusions were sagging so I could feel the woodwork through the bed [I am less than 15 stone] but Avondale would not pay for either. It had new front and rear panels at its first service, the water heater was not wired up correctly and the cooker nearly fell out as the screws kept dropping out when I towed it anywhere, a few other more minor things went wrong but I was shocked with Avondales attitude when problems occurred. We got rid of it last year and do not miss it, our 1986 Elddis we had before was never any trouble. We now have a 2007 Fleetwood Heritage, the van is faultless but the Alde heating has been trouble from a month old, Alde came to our house twice to repair it but Fleetwood don't chase up suppliers to check if the problem has been sorted out and left me to do the chasing which I find unacceptable with a 22k caravan, it's a shame to say but maybe I will buy from abroad next time.

spj

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi SPJ,

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you had with your Argente. I am glad you have replyed to my listing as you may have just prevented me from making a big mistake.

Regards,

Mel.

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Melvyn,

It is a shame we had so much trouble with the Avondale as the van its self was well laid out and user friendly, the spare wheel was kept out of the weather under a trap door inside, this is the best idea I have seen, it's interior was light and roomy and the end washroom was excellent but without any back up all this was not good enough.

Unfortunatly all UK manufacturers seem to have problems, but some deal with them far better than others and that does make a difference. Parting with your hard earned cash and then being told a fault is not covered by your 3 year warranty after less than 2 years leaves a bad taste, I would now buy a tent before another Avondale.

spj.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Melvin,

As others have said, watch the front and rear panels, I had them go on my Rialto which Avondale had to repair and I have seen Argente's with exactly the same problem. Mine started as hairline stress cracks in the top corners, and one of the cracks let a bit of damp in. Fortunately the dealer was on my side!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Melvyn,

We had a 2000 Golden Mayfair (Dart upgrade) list of faults were unbelievable. 2 new kitchen worktops,3 pumps, new washand basin, bathroom resealed. dividing door fell off,new oven door, floor delaminated, front window rained in and the list goes on!. Also a lot of niggly faults which I fixed myself.

The faults were done under warranty and I must say when the van was accidentally damaged big time the van went back to Avondale's

factory and the customer service was excellent, even bringing the van back to my local dealer after repair.

We now have a new Hymer Nova, what a difference to the Avondale. Solid build and fantastic workmanship to all details.

I would never buy British again (unless they alter drastically).

I know that I am paying a higher price and that the weight is greater, however if you can I would certainly look to a foreign build van.

Regards

Nidge

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts