This Summer

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi everybody, this summer we are taking our caravan abroad for the first time.
Can anyone give me a simple checklist of things I need to have in place officially before driving on the continent.
We are travelling through Holland, Luxembourg and Switzerland however I will check the route in case we will pass through any other countries on the way.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Hi everybody, this summer we are taking our caravan abroad for the first time.
Can anyone give me a simple checklist of things I need to have in place officially before driving on the continent.
We are travelling through Holland, Luxembourg and Switzerland however I will check the route in case we will pass through any other countries on the way.

A good source of information is the CMHC or CCC websites. The former also produce European touring guides. There are three covering different areas of Europe. Not only do they give details of campsites but lots of information on technical, legal, culture etc of the countries covered. Example speed limits, tolls, power supplies, gas, emergency numbers, kit required, etc. The CMHC would be my first port of call as their touring guide was all I used when I first went to France before the internet came along.

Ps I do think you need to check your route to Switzerland as getting there from Luxembourg probably requires a foray into Germany too. Unless you do the longer way via France! I suspect Holland to Luxembourg requires a venture into Belgium too.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for that Clive.
Yes we will need to go into Germany as well I think, we are travelling across to Holland from Hull on the overnight ferry as we live 20 minutes from the port. I will check out the sites you have mentioned for more information. Our campsites are all Eurocamp so I’m hoping they will be pretty straightforward.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Thanks for that Clive.
Yes we will need to go into Germany as well I think, we are travelling across to Holland from Hull on the overnight ferry as we live 20 minutes from the port. I will check out the sites you have mentioned for more information. Our campsites are all Eurocamp so I’m hoping they will be pretty straightforward.

Thanks. Enjoy your holiday Switzerland is beautiful.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Here we go:-
Make sure when you get off the ferry in the Netherlands that your caravan snatch cable is attached to the towbar and not just looped around the ball as in the UK. You will get a ticket if you do not - stories of Police sitting outside the dock gates!
If you pass through Belgium it is technically illegal to use cruise control on the motorways - although how the fuzz can prove it is a different matter.
Luxembourg has probably the cheapest fuel in Western Europe at something less than 1€ per litre for diesel. The fuel prices in Belgium get cheaper and cheaper as you approach the border but never get down to Luxembourg prices! Good excuse to give your engine a treat with a fill-up of super diesel.
As your caravan does not have the necessary Tempo100 sticker in Germany (requires something similar to our MoT on your caravan done in Germany) you are limited to 80Kph on the autobahns.
You don't need to go into Germany to get to CH. If you go across towards Strasbourg you can drive down Alsace to the Swiss border at Basel. The road south of Strasbourg is a RN so free, the countryside is beautiful, and the fuel is cheaper than in D.
In Switzerland you will need a vignette for your towcar AND one for your caravan - costs 40CHF or €36.50 each and runs from the beginning of December one year to the end of January 14 months later. Can be bought at the border crossing or petrol stations close to the border.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure about the countries you will visit but France bans use of radar detectors or warnings of speed cameras s o make sure this faculty is disabled on any satnav you have, and Spain doesn't like dashcams= taking photos of others without their prior permission or such like 9Don't ee how this works in major tourist attractions).

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
To get to switzerland , we go to Freinberg about 30 km south of Zurich on the west side of lake Zurich. We go through Belgium Luxembourg back into France then before hitting Strasbourg go south through Colmar to Basel, all toll free, , easier than going through Strasborg into Germany and back again. But we buy our vignette on line, sorry cant find the website, Swiss tourist board,
Beware you can only take in 1 kilo of meat per person, although having the vignette I have never been stopped by the Customs guys.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for this everybody.

We are doing 6 nights in Holland coming across from Hull to Rotterdam, then one night in Lux before heading to Interlaken for 6 nights. All advice has said stay in France down to Strasbourg so that’s the route I’m planning. My main concerns were about the legalities of caravanning abroad and any campsite issues I should be prepared for.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ste, your Outlander may have a max train weight of over 3500 kg in which case you will be limited to 90 kph on the French motorways, even if you are below 3500kg. you will see Dutch and German outfits whizz past you, looking much heavier, I tend to stick to what the legal limits are,

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
So we have to stick to 56'mph if our combined units over 35oo kg ?
Not happy with that when I've already got a 5 hour drive from Calais !
As for turning the speed camera settings off ... i never have .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
So we have to stick to 56'mph if our combined units over 35oo kg ?
Not happy with that when I've already got a 5 hour drive from Calais !
As for turning the speed camera settings off ... i never have .

Craig its not if your train weight is above 3500, its if your cars train weight is capable of 3500. You are limited to 90 kph. Even if your combined weight is lighter.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
We are having our weekend away trying it all out. Loving the awning - we can tailor it for however big the pitch is.

Here it is before and then with both annexe and conservatory attached.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
We are having our weekend away trying it all out. Loving the awning - we can tailor it for however big the pitch is.

Here it is before and then with both annexe and conservatory attached.

Mahoosive, it looks wonderful, I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot. :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As I understand it the dash cam is legal if you are recording your tour for your own use. You cannot use the footage on a public venue or use it in court after an accident though.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Raywood said:
As I understand it the dash cam is legal if you are recording your tour for your own use. You cannot use the footage on a public venue or use it in court after an accident though.

Legal with Conditions.
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/08/using-your-dash-cam-abroad-what-you-need-to-know-about-driving-in-europe/

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:

Dash cams are currently a bone of contention in Germany and Austria. What is clear is that you cannot expect to use the recording for accident evidence. But since the prime purpose of most users is to use the recordings for evidence the dash cams not much use. I came across an interesting article recently Austria where a driver was fined for recoding their general motoring progress as opposed to the trip up the Grossglockner Pass. A substantial fine too.

As the jury seems to be out I’d turn mine off.

https://helpv2.orf.at/stories/1717004/index.html

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Not related to dash cams.
If I wanted a good paper atlas of Europe that is great for caravanners, which would you recommend?
I’m happy to get one for the whole of Europe, or at least Western Europe.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Not related to dash cams.
If I wanted a good paper atlas of Europe that is great for caravanners, which would you recommend?
I’m happy to get one for the whole of Europe, or at least Western Europe.

I got s Collins atlas when we went to Poland as we travelled mainly by main roads on the way out. But as it covered the whole of Western Europe its scale meant it was difficult to use for touristy routes. So for the return trip which was touristy I bought fold out Michelin maps for specific countries or areas.

TRENDING THREADS