Thoughts on old shape x-trail or old shape crv.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Frank

Not only do I know Hammonds in Halesworth but it's where I bought my XT in 2006 and where I had the high service costs mentioned earlier. I've now taken out a 36 month service agreement with them.

As far as fuel is concerned and I have to be careful what I say but my eldest son works for a national company, based in Norwich, that have a fleet of vans mostly transits. Following a spate of engine failures last year they all got letters telling them to only use proprietary branded fuels. This advice was given by a main Ford dealer and has influenced by fuel purchasing. I'm probably lucky but my local Shell garage is very competitively priced and often is the cheapest local price quoted on the 'petrol price website'.

I can't remember why I discounted the CRV originally because I'm a great fan of Hondas having had motorbikes in the past and currently have an outboard, generator, strimmer and lawnmower made by them.

Bill

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rod 1, I was going to buy the CR-V for a good price at the end of its lease as I am retiring in April this year. I bought a Motor Home instaed last June so do not need a tow car. I am buying a colleagues ex lease Megane to run as my company car for the next 3 months until I retire and then use it as a run around.

Ray

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gavin, I'm on my second Cr-v and have been very pleased with both. First was a petrol, currently running the diesel 2.2 which is significantly more economical. Solo on a run anywhere between 38 and 46 mpg depending on average speed, 26-28 towing. Covered thousands of miles towing and solo and would definitely recommend the diesel.

I agree with the comments regarding the rear diff, both mine have suffered a similar problem, both fixed under warranty. Dealer said the problem with the second one was water getting into the diff (it has to have a breather), I think they were still learning with the first because they completely rebuilt it! Some thing to watch for is the outside edge of the rear tyre wearing if you have a regular full lock application in one direction. i.e. I make a regular full lock turn to the left through about 160 degrees and when the diff was noisy it would wear the outside edge of the nearside rear tyre.

Hope this helps

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
wow, lthanks you everyone.

Loads of good comments for me to mull over.

I managed to sell my car private this weekend, so its all out looking for a replacement now.

After test driving a '56 crv on Saturday we've pretty made our minds up to go for a CRV. Not a nice to drive as the car we've just sold, but much much more practical.

David W raised an interesting point, the crv we test drove had an alko tow hitch. On the plus side it saves me having to folk out getting a tow ball fitted, but should it put me off?

Finially......our van has an MTPLM of 1450kg, do people think this is too close to the 1500kg towing limit?

Thanks

Gavin

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
wow, lthanks you everyone.

Loads of good comments for me to mull over.

I managed to sell my car private this weekend, so its all out looking for a replacement now.

After test driving a '56 crv on Saturday we've pretty made our minds up to go for a CRV. Not a nice to drive as the car we've just sold, but much much more practical.

David W raised an interesting point, the crv we test drove had an alko tow hitch. On the plus side it saves me having to folk out getting a tow ball fitted, but should it put me off?

Finially......our van has an MTPLM of 1450kg, do people think this is too close to the 1500kg towing limit?

Thanks

Gavin
Hi agin Gavin, if you are an experienced tugger and load the van OK you should be fine I rekon, particularly if it is a diesel. Don't know what your towball weight limit was before but I think the earlier CRV had a low figure which would need "balancing"

On the tow hitch already fitted issue, is it possible to find out what was towed? Personnaly if I thought the car had been towing horseboxes or the previous owner was a rally fan then I would walk away.

Was it a two plug setup or a multipin because that is a clue to van towing.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
It wouldn't put me of the car. I would be more interested in weather the tow ball needs replacing due to wear, if the bar was secure, test it by standing on it.

Check for corrosion, it is you only link with the van. check to see if the rear springs are sagging.

on the socket issue i can't see how you can determine what has been towed by the sockets?

Some vanners only have the one black socket?

Horse box, boat, van, what difference does it make?

Has it been hard used is more of a issue for me.

I prefer the crv in the old shape, in red it looks good.

just the side opening door, and wheel sticking out puts me off.

but owners get round it.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
It wouldn't put me of the car. I would be more interested in weather the tow ball needs replacing due to wear, if the bar was secure, test it by standing on it.

Check for corrosion, it is you only link with the van. check to see if the rear springs are sagging.

on the socket issue i can't see how you can determine what has been towed by the sockets?

Some vanners only have the one black socket?

Horse box, boat, van, what difference does it make?

Has it been hard used is more of a issue for me.

I prefer the crv in the old shape, in red it looks good.

just the side opening door, and wheel sticking out puts me off.

but owners get round it.
whether not weather

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts