Tin Openers

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Is it me or have tin cans become harder to open in recent years?
Our hands free battery driven opener now has to go around the can at least 10 times before the very top of the lid comes off.
It looks ok but maybe they wear out or have the design of tins changed?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Our hands free battery driven opener now has to go around the can at least 10 times before the very top of the lid comes off.

I use these. Very light weight. The hand method is always best. :unsure:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dustydog, we had I repeat we had a battery operated tin opener, that used to crawl its way around the tin , like the one you were referring to, when in the process of opening a tin of custard it just stopped, no matter what we tried to do it would not disengage from the tin, could not change the batteries with the mover attached to the tin ,used our old hand tin opener on the bottom of the can to remove the custard from the tin rinsed the tin and chucked the tin still held in a vice like grip with the battery tin opener into the local tip.
In reply to cans with ring pulls,if only they were , life would be so much calmer.

Royston

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Royston said:
Hi Dustydog, we had I repeat we had a battery operated tin opener, that used to crawl its way around the tin , like the one you were referring to, when in the process of opening a tin of custard it just stopped, no matter what we tried to do it would not disengage from the tin, could not change the batteries with the mover attached to the tin ,used our old hand tin opener on the bottom of the can to remove the custard from the tin rinsed the tin and chucked the tin still held in a vice like grip with the battery tin opener into the local tip.
In reply to cans with ring pulls,if only they were , life would be so much calmer.

Royston
We don't buy much in cans, mainly fresh or frozen, but I don't recall the last time we got the manual tin-opener out - maybe it's just our selection of tinned products that have ring pulls.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:

Yep old paws and Mrs paws also use a battery operated tin opener and its great, never had any problems with it...I wouldn't be without it... broken wrists (paws) and metal plates holding all the bones together don't make for easy manual tin opening!
and
Yes Dustydog they have become more difficult in recent years, just like the caravan battery.... its put on lots of weight over the last 5 or 10 years.... it used to be so easy to lift it and carry it, but now its put on so much weight its not so easy anymore!!
Same goes for the awning and poles...boy have they put on weight as well!
:silly: :silly:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Guys
I suspect the cutting edge may have worn out on ours. Our hand held one struggles too . They bot try and cut the can right on the side of the highest point of the top edge. The thickest part of the tin.

We do use tins a fair bit . When you travel a lot and stop overnight a soup or tinned veggies are so convenient but admittedly not as good as fresh.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
After having problems with a few tin openers a few years ago ( maybe eight to ten :dry:), yes its frustrating :woohoo: when the damned thing packs in half way round a tin, so i bought one of these :p :lol: the bottle opener comes in very handy :whistle:

We did try one of the battery ones when they first came out but i was not impressed, maybe i got a friday one :( i do remember that it used to get bits of the labels pulled into the gear wheel and seem to jam it.

If i dared to look in the van we will have one that takes the lid off normally,and a spare one that takes it off via the side ( bought from Aldi ) but we do try to buy the tins with the ring pull top for ease when away in the van if possible.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
We have a battery operated one at home and it is not as good as it used to be. Cutters probably worn.
On our last outing the hand held one in the van refused to open a tin more than half way so it was brute force until we purchased another the next day. Even the new one struggles to open a can and is not as well built as they were.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Never realised that opening a tin was such a complex and problematical subject. It apparently nearly drives grown men to desperation.
Must remember to let the wife keep doing ours, never seems to cause her a problem! (Obviously not a mans job.!)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Sproket said:
After having problems with a few tin openers a few years ago ( maybe eight to ten :dry:), yes its frustrating :woohoo: when the damned thing packs in half way round a tin, so i bought one of these :p :lol: the bottle opener comes in very handy :whistle:

Heard sSprocket carries one of these as well.................just in case :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bosch-1347A-rw-80731-148352.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts