Tinned food in overhead lockers?

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I know that we are supposed to store heavy things low down in the caravan but in practice, it would be easier to put some tinned food in an overhead locker. I am thinking of about 12 tins in total. These would be in a plastic basket to restrain them, which in turn is on a non-slip mat? Would it make THAT much difference to tow with these higher up as opposed to lower down?

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I did that once.When we got to where we were going,a big hole in the worktop,one of the tins had fell out,keep them on the floor till you get there,much safer and cheaper..

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
I personally don't consider a few tins of beans to be "heavy items" and have never had a problem carrying them in overhead lockers. We always make sure the doors are locked so nothing can fall out - unless you drive like Richard Hammond of course

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Why not put the plastic basket containing the tinned food on the floor until you get to your destination and then simply lift the basket into it's locker?

The decision is yours but............

There is much less chance of any 'flying missile' damage then and it would only be a matter of seconds to put the basket into the locker.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We don't put any items in the overhead lockers whilst travelling (bar the crockery which is securely held in place in their holders).

Someone I know left a jar of coffee in an overhead locker when on the move and it fell out and did some damage to a worktop.

We put the cold items in the fridge and tend to put the tins in the back of the car.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
An alternative strategy that I often use, is to check there is a shop or supermarket near our destination, then only take the bare essentials for the journey, and visit the local SainTesMorAs when when we have set up, that way you can save a surprising amount of weight not carrying excess food weight.

Just out of interest has anyone actually weight all the none essential food stuff and beverages they load into a caravan?

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I tightly pack only light goods in a top locker, well away from the work surfaces, eg a packet of part baked bread rolls, cerials, sauce mixes, tea bags, crisps and the like. I would never carry anything heavy in the upper lockers.

I even remove books from upper lockers to the back of the car before travelling. Perhaps I am being extra safety conscious, but there you go.

Ann

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Why not put the plastic basket containing the tinned food on the floor until you get to your destination and then simply lift the basket into it's locker?

The decision is yours but............

There is much less chance of any 'flying missile' damage then and it would only be a matter of seconds to put the basket into the locker.
Sound advice parksy , we put all our heavy tins and other items in collapsible baskests and put them over the wheels ,once on site the crates can be flattend and stored under the bed or awning

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
The tins I was thinking about are tightly wedged in baskets, which are deeper than the tins themselves. The baskets fit perfectly to size in the cupboards and they are on non-slip matting. There is no way any of these could move, even if they wanted to. I am going to give it a go and see how things fair. I have weighed the total amount of food stuffs previously and know that they do indeed add up to a fair weight, which is why I posted the original question really. Once we get to site we very gingerly open the cupboards the first time as we did have something fall out once, hence all the baskets now!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
What is stopping the heavy items jumping up and down as the caravan jolts around when under tow?

This will create a hammer effect on the overhead lockers and they are not built to withstand this type of treatment.

There again it is your caravan...

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I think some of it depends on how you pack the baskets and cupboards. On many previous trips we arrive at site and the cupboards are exactly as they were at home, so I don't think things do move that much if they are packed properly.

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Each to their own I say, otherwise, we'd all be towing a swift charisma with a Kia sorrento.......but, in my experience which turned out to be a costly one, a rogue jar of coffee which was in an overhead locker which I missed, fell out in transit and burst open. As the carpets were slightly damp from a very wet weekend, the coffee granules then 'melted' onto the carpets. I couldn't believe how much mess there was from one end of the 'van to the other.

Another point which may or may not be relevant, I was always of the opinion that weight high up in the 'van was not good should, heaven forbid, you start to wobble.

Sophie

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your coffee disaster Sophie. I think this discussions is proving the fact that everbody's idea of 'heavy' is different, and that in the caravanning world, there are no hard facts about some things.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts