Tip for families with schoolkids

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
We are finding it increasingly difficult to get the kids out of school to leave Bristol before the rush for the SW starts on Bank and school holidays.

So I had a look at the wife and kids catching the train after school while I went down early to set up.

Not that expensive and a lot less stressful then sitting in a queue for possibly 5-6 hrs with bored kids.

They take 3hr 20 mins from Bristol to Truro and with a family railsaver Card (£24 lasts a year and paid for on first trip) the tickets cost £19 for the three of them.

Got to be worth a look if you are thinking you need to get caught up in holiday traffic.

May 2, 2005
Visit site
What a great idea.

My better half and daughter don't like the trip down South.....to Devon for example..from Ayrshire.....too long for them.

This would be a great way of giving them the freedom to move about and less stressful for me.....

Thanks for the tip....

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Great idea JCS, tell them to give me a wave as the train goes through Dawlish.

Caravan all setup by the time they arrive, no arguments about who doesn't want to fill the aquaroll.

Handy stations at Dawlish, Hayle(for St ives and Godrevy) and Penzance amongst others.

If they get seats on the left side of the carriage they get the spectacular views going down the Exe estuary, along the sea wall at Dawlish and Teignmouth and then up the Teign estuary to Newton Abbbot.

I can vaguely remember that train journey to holidays in Cornwall from Bristol when I was knee high and we had no car. Puffer trains then of course.

Lets hope the rail companies don't see that one, they will triple the prices around school hols.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Have you looked at flights into Newquay airport as well?

Not sure if they would fit your needs but it was a option for me last year when I needed to get back to Birmingham for a vital football match (dont ask the wife's still miffed cos we lost 2 days of the holiday instead!!!)

I know some flights are seasonal but I believe there was a scheduled service as well?

TRENDING THREADS