Tips - of how to help keep a caravan cool

Jun 4, 2019
Visit site
Any tips of how to help keep a caravan cool parked up in storage, late to ask maybe......

All the blinds and curtains are closed, but it can be like an oven when entering when stored.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The only thing we do is pull the curtains shut not the blinds as you may loosen the tension in the blinds and shut the blinds on the top hekis so that no sunlight gets in even though I went to get mine last week and it was like an oven inside even with everything closed off to the sun !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
happyvanna said:
Any tips of how to help keep a caravan cool parked up in storage, late to ask maybe......

All the blinds and curtains are closed, but it can be like an oven when entering when stored.

All caravans have a certain amount of fixed ventilation. You could make sure none of the vents are obscured. That will allow some natural convection through the caravan even when all the windows are shut.

Your insurer will not cover your van if you store the van with windows open, and very few storage sites have EHU's so you are unlikely to be able to run an air conditioning unit. So the only other thing is to arrange to park the caravan where direct sunlight cannot reach it. Or only get the caravan out of storage during the night!

That being said, I do wonder why you are concerned about the caravan heating up when in storage. Your not using it and caravan manufacturers should making caravans that can be stored outside, and they should be able to withstand the storage conditions in the country where they are sold, otherwise they are not fit for purpose.

If your complaint is the fact the caravan is hot when you open it up, then open it and brave the heat whist you open doors and windows to allow it to ventilate before you start doing whatever you were about to do.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have deleted a post by Prof JohnL and the reasons are that the OP asked for tips on how to try and keep a van cooler in storage.
The response was nowhere near the question for the following points:
1. Why was the subject of Insurance even mentioned?
2. Why was the use of aircon used, no storage site has electricity available for use like a site does.
3. Why was the subject of "fit for purpose" raised, it has nothing to do with tips to keep a van cool.
4. Why the reference to "only get the van out at night"
5. Why the question about "wondering why the OP was concerned about heating the van ?

Despite a long reply not a single tip , apart from opening the door and windows to allow the van to ventilate was forthcoming.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I do like Craig. If you close blinds on windows the reflective side can generate so much heat that it could damage windows. To be honest though unless you go to the storage and open up the roof vents it’s virtually impossible to keep the temperature down. It’s dufficult even when your living in the van. Caravan dealers are like car dealers such that on hot days doors and vents are opened. But they still get uncomfortably warm in hot weather.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Came back to the caravan last week and the thermometer in caravan read 46 degrees and the thermistor sensor had crashed. Outside was 34 so we should be able to cool the inside. Opened the door and all rooflights with fly screens across. Opened windows on the windy side so a draft went through the van. Blinds down on the sunny side but a gap at the top to let out heat between blind and window. Our blinds are to non-sprung ones. When we had the latter we closed curtains because a heat build up can damage the window. We had left windows on night catches but still got hot.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
I have deleted a post by Prof JohnL and the reasons are that the OP asked for tips on how to try and keep a van cooler in storage.
The response was nowhere near the question for the following points:
1. Why was the subject of Insurance even mentioned?
2. Why was the use of aircon used, no storage site has electricity available for use like a site does.
3. Why was the subject of "fit for purpose" raised, it has nothing to do with tips to keep a van cool.
4. Why the reference to "only get the van out at night"
5. Why the question about "wondering why the OP was concerned about heating the van ?

Despite a long reply not a single tip , apart from opening the door and windows to allow the van to ventilate was forthcoming.

Crikey i missed that one !!
The prof don't do a straight forward short reply though !!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
From what I've read it all seems to have stemmed from an earlier misunderstanding on a different topic.
All I will say on the matter is that the Prof often provides very detailed technical information which can be long winded at times.
The number of 'Thank You' icons that he's received is testament to his commitment to helping others.
The old saying holds true for everyone who uses this forum however, if you don't like what you read but it doesn't actually break any forum rules, or it's too long for you to bother with that's fine, just skip to the next thing that is interesting to you. ;)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Back to the OP, its very difficult to give any sort of tip to keep the van cool. As Damian quite rightly says, storage sites dont provide an EHU so anything electrically operated is going to drain the battery PDQ. Leaving windows open, even on the security latch may very well invalidate the insurance so I would be wary about that one. Personally I have never seen a window "go" due to the heat build up from blinds, but there is a lot of thought about the subject and I guess it holds that there is no smoke without fire. Keeping the curtains closed, or almost closed would help, but I suspect that the results would be minimal.

IDK that youcan get solar powered fans for cars, which would probably work in a caravan, but I think that with all the doors and windows shut, all that is going to do is circulate the hot air. I wonder is a solar powered fan could be hooked up direct to the roof solar panel if indeed the OP has one?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would not recommend entirely closing the blinds on many caravans. Many windows will have a sticker at the bottom advising you to avoid this practice. There can be a heat build up between the blind and the window causing the window to become deformed.
While in storage we pull down our blinds halfway and at the top have the fly screen showing. This allows any hot air to escape and there is no build up of heat in that area. We also do this on site. The blinds are only fully closed at night if we are on a site.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Closing the blinds completely is not a good idea although you can close them partway which will help or use the curtains assuming you have ones that will close.
You could in most cases open the roof vents to their lowest setting without rain getting in but do remember to close them before setting off if you do.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Raywood said:
Closing the blinds completely is not a good idea although you can close them partway which will help or use the curtains assuming you have ones that will close.
You could in most cases open the roof vents to their lowest setting without rain getting in but do remember to close them before setting off if you do.

Probably not a good idea if in storage as you do not know how much muck can be blown in.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Buckman said:
Raywood said:

Probably not a good idea if in storage as you do not know how much muck can be blown in.

Ill second that one as I've just spent 4 and a half hours washing and waxing my van this morning , I can't believe how black the roof was just off standing in the field , you'd think it had been standing in a coal Pit !!

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I must be one of the few because at my storage facility I have access to two outside power points, mind you I' m not dumped in some field but in a removal and storage yard,

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
camel said:
I must be one of the few because at my storage facility I have access to two outside power points, mind you I' m not dumped in some field but in a removal and storage yard,

Mines not dumped i'll have you know , its amongst 22 other ones on grass kept better than some sites I've been on !!

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
camel said:
Well done Hope it's not expensive like some round my way,
Mines not dumped i'll have you know , its amongst 22 other ones on grass kept better than some sites I've been on !!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Arriving a bit late to this one.
The Prof is a very clever bloke but does go off piste now and then. So what! Do I care ? No!
All my caravans over the years have been designed to withstand a Finnish winter and a Sahara summer :cheer:
As Clive and Craig say do not leave t(e blinds down , either the remix or rollers. Use the curtains. They stop your fabrics and furniture getting sun bleached. I agree all the sky lights I just use the remix blinds . No problem. If are that worried find an undercover storage. Waste of money imo.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I tend to leave the roof windows on the first catches to give an airflow through, I don't have the blind problem of being up or down as we are luckily in an under cover barn with six others, and I have prime reverse in drive out position. Only £440 a year.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I have done the usual of closing the curtains (I only use the curtains for storage) and partially closing the Heki and Sunroof blinds but the kitchen and 'bedroom' windows have no curtains, so are open when the roller blinds are left up to save the springs. This is not so much of an issue I my case, as they usually face away from the sun and are against a fence. But as I had some large sheets of cardboard surplus to requirements, so I cut them to size and inserted into the blind channel, covering these windows from the sun and prying eyes. The bathroom window is occluded, so no point doing that one.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Same here , the kids's bunks windows don't have curtains so one off their pillows fits spot on into each off the window spaces to stop nosey people also :unsure:

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Our van instruction book says blinds should not be drawn when the window is closed
If the van is in storage all I can suggest is use curtains instead of the blinds and park in the shade.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
38° over here in France at the moment , windows and roof hekis open to the max through the day , no breeze , and never never before but even sleeping with the top roof hekis wide open on the night time with a small fan pointing down at us from kitchen bench when in bed :blush:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts