Tire pressures when towing

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We're just changing our car - same type just a different newer model.

The old car manual states when towing inflate the rear tires to the maximum on the rating plate. The new car manual states when towing inflate the tires to the maximum on the rating plate - implying all tires.

What do you?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our cars advice is similar, but the maximum figures for the front and back are different. The handbook has a section covering tyre pressures which I normally use.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
I follow the plate inside the door shut.
I have towed a shorter distance using the 'not towing' pressures but it felt walliwy and bouncy.

Kev

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would inflate the front and rear tyres to the pressure specified for towing on the makers plate. The rears went up from 220 to 270 kpa but front only from 230 to 240 kpa.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I increase my front tyres to their max load recommendation and the rears about half way to their max load setting - I can't be bother to drop them back down while touring from site so this seems to give the best front-rear balance and even wear.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On the Shogun it was a real pain in the rear and consequently when on site I left tyres are same pressure and only lowering them once home. However with the Jeep there is no need to inflate rear tyres.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Just a word of caution... When I had a Kuga, the door plate wasn't the definitive number, because in the towing section of the manual it said add 2PSI to the max load rear pressures...

Reactions: Hutch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

On the current car the rating plate has no recommendations for towing, just the tire pressures for front and back, which are different, and depend on the car loading i.e number of passengers and luggage. The manual only says inflate the rear tires to the maximum.

The new car hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure what the rating plate will say. I've downloaded a manual but the advice says see the rating plate although it implies all the tires should be at a maximum.

I confess that I alway set the tires to the recommendation for towing but when on site drop them down to the normal running rating. I seem to be in the minority in this since I've never noticed anyone else doing this. Ditto checking nose weight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

The old car manual states when towing inflate the rear tires to the maximum on the rating plate. The new car manual states when towing inflate the tires to the maximum on the rating plate - implying all tires.

What do you?
If in doubt it might be worth contacting the manufacturer for clarification, otherwise in the absence of any superior advice follow manufacturers instructions.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Things may become clearer when the new car arrives and has the manual with it. Some of the online manuals seem to vary in detail and are also ambiguous in some areas.

To me it seems that hanging a caravan on a tow bar is similar to adding a load in the rear of the car e.g having 3 passengers in the back and some luggage. So tire pressures could be set to the same as a fully loaded car.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If in doubt it might be worth contacting the manufacturer for clarification, otherwise in the absence of any superior advice follow manufacturers instructions.

Not always. On a previous occasion 2 weeks ago I contacted Jeep UK customer care using the chat system to inquire whether the Jeep should have a lead acid or AGM battery. I was told to look in the owner's manual! I was asking because it was nto in the owner's manual. I eventually got the answer that the AGM was standard fit.

A few days ago I asked what for the specifications of the AGM battery and this was the reply I got from the manufacturer.

"Further to your enquiry, we would like to invite you to contact your nearest Authorised Jeep Retailer the parts department they will be more than willing to provide you with the Technical information you are requesting in regarding to the AGM type battery."

I had contacted the UK Jeep customer care as the parts department were unable to give me a breakdown i.e. AH, CCA etc. All they knew was that the battery was suitable for the Jeep. I was not going to pay nearly £500 for the Mopar battery!

So much for the manufacturer being a mine of information!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Things may become clearer when the new car arrives and has the manual with it. Some of the online manuals seem to vary in detail and are also ambiguous in some areas.

To me it seems that hanging a caravan on a tow bar is similar to adding a load in the rear of the car e.g having 3 passengers in the back and some luggage. So tire pressures could be set to the same as a fully loaded car.
In the case of my car a full five person load with luggage only requires the rears to go from 220 to 230 kpa. A minuscule amount, whilst the the fronts stay at 230 kpa.

Towing puts the rears to 270 kpa. So after pitching up I would always then reduce the tyre pressures to solo settings for touring about.

Jul 30, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

On the current car the rating plate has no recommendations for towing, just the tire pressures for front and back, which are different, and depend on the car loading i.e number of passengers and luggage. The manual only says inflate the rear tires to the maximum.

The new car hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure what the rating plate will say. I've downloaded a manual but the advice says see the rating plate although it implies all the tires should be at a maximum.

I confess that I alway set the tires to the recommendation for towing but when on site drop them down to the normal running rating. I seem to be in the minority in this since I've never noticed anyone else doing this. Ditto checking nose weight.
Everything is well explained, in a fairly common language. Also happens when I need to write something for college, I use http://essaypapers.reviews/ for this. The best way for me to solve the problem is without applying force. So thank you.
(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a word of caution... When I had a Kuga, the door plate wasn't the definitive number, because in the towing section of the manual it said add 2PSI to the max load rear pressures...
This is true, Bluetronic, notice on page 5.88 in the SantaFe handbook it does state that if you tow at 15% above, max axle weight then increase the tyre pressure. Which means the max axle weights "can be excedded"
Barney Rubble Here. 😮

• Wow
Reactions: Bluetonic
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I always follow the car’s plate. It’s there for a reason. I understand there are three different pressure measurement scales but prefer psi which is also shown on my caravan plate.
8B9AE544-4307-441A-8514-5FAEFAA167D7.jpeg

Reactions: Kevin M
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

What do you?
I don't suppose it matters what others do,just follow the instructions.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but the plates on the actual car are the most correct, like the weight plates🤪
To some extent you're correct except that the rating plate on my current car has no mention of what to do when towing.

As I mentioned previously the new car hasn't arrived yet but I'd bet the rating plate doesn't mention what to use when towing. I'll be happy to be proved wrong though.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
To some extent you're correct except that the rating plate on my current car has no mention of what to do when towing.

As I mentioned previously the new car hasn't arrived yet but I'd bet the rating plate doesn't mention what to use when towing. I'll be happy to be proved wrong though.
Thinking about your last post . The manufacturers plate quotes the pressure for the maximum load, my VW. Surely that’s it whether towing or not. It’s about the eternal word
”Load”.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thinking about your last post . The manufacturers plate quotes the pressure for the maximum load, my VW. Surely that’s it whether towing or not. It’s about the eternal word
”Load”.
It would seem that’s what’s intended. Although my label has solo light load, solo full load of five passengers and luggage, and tyre pressure when towing. Must admit when towing unloaded and just noseweight on the car I did nit go to the full towing load specification. But when towing with the car loaded I used the towing specification tyre pressures.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clive. I think you are the first person I know who uses kpa. I grew up with psi and bar . What does everyone else use?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts