Tire pressures when towing

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Returning to TPMS systems. When I've had tires replaced I usually get the valves replaced as well. With the TPMS system do you keep the valves or get new ones? If new do they have to be OEM versions?
Haven't got that far yet - the batteries in TPMS/valve sensors are rated at 5 years but in reality it depends how many miles the car does as the sensor goes to sleep when the car is stationary - when the original tyres needed replacing, the original sensor/valve was retained -I'll do the same when these tyres need replacing and wait until the batteries actually fail - I can get pattern sensors for my VW by specifying the Audi equivalent, lot cheaper than the VW dealer (had to do this for my winter set).

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Whilst it may be of academic interest to see how other political systems might legislate and define towing requirements, foreign systems should not be assumed to be acceptable in any other country. There may be some allowance for temporary visitors to use approved foreign systems for a short defined period of time, but for the long run or permanent domicility all local towing protocols should be fully adhered to. Always check the destinations towing law requirements before entering a foreign area.

Regardless of where you are across the globe, the mechanical challenges of towing center axle counter balanced trailers will have similar causes and effects, so the real need for good loading and outfit matching applies everywhere, but local laws and limits vary as might any advisory information.

The Australian system depicted above by Sam, uses different names and acronyms compared the the UK for parts of the outfit, and apparently the advisory values for tongue weight (Nose Load) also differ to the UK.

I am impressed with diagrammes they use as I think it shows detail of how some of the criteria should be measured. Based on many comments here in the forum its clear how some criteria are not fully understood, and that can easily lead to incorrect loading, and an illegal outfit.
Aussie tuggers often get issues because caravan weights and noseweight limits are much higher there but rear axle limits usually the same as ours - so running a 3500 kg trailer with 350 kg noseweight can often limit the car payload to avoid overloading the rear axle - wheras in Europe a 1500 kg caravan with a 100 kg noseweight has much less effect on the rear axle.

Reactions: stirlingwine
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Just back from a trip to North Norfolk today. Unsurprisingly there were quite a few outfits on the road. We were horrified as long time caravanners at the number of caravans that were very badly loaded . The weight was clearly placed to the rear . The noseweight must be very low in such situations. How the outfits handled is anyone's guess.
I really can't imagine that these dtivers are going to be checking and adjusting tyre pressures !

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I’ve just been to my granddaughters to check her car out as she has her driving test this afternoon. The makers label on the nearside B pillar gives pressures for front, rear for three conditions. Solo, loaded and towing. But her manual just gives noseweight but says nothing about the interaction of load and towing hitch loading. But since she doesn’t plan on towing it’s not a problem for her. My feeling is that most families would just load up the car and then put the 75 kg noseweight or whatever and drive off into the sunset. Practically who is going to measure axle loads, apart from this anorak.
This Anorack,
I bought a wheel weight gauge from a friend 6 months ago, a Reich about, I have used it on the car and the caravan this last few days. On the car it seams fairly true to expectations, the Caravan, I am a bit dubious. Maybe about 50 kg light. But the only way to know is to get the car and caravan checked against a 40 tonne weighbridge. At how many % + or -.
Any one else used these roll over Reich gauges.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just back from a trip to North Norfolk today. Unsurprisingly there were quite a few outfits on the road. We were horrified as long time caravanners at the number of caravans that were very badly loaded . The weight was clearly placed to the rear . The noseweight must be very low in such situations. How the outfits handled is anyone's guess.
I really can't imagine that these dtivers are going to be checking and adjusting tyre pressures !
We travelled back from Houghton mill today( Huntingdon ) to Milton Keynes, the TryrePal sensors on the caravan went up from 65 psi, at 22c when we set off to 72 psi at 30 c by mid day.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Does the nose weight of a car have any substance as surely it is the maximum load on the rear axle that is the issue and this would be in conjunction with the maximum load on a tow hitch fixed to the vehicle?
The legislation relates to the maximum wight on the rear axle and exceeding that load whether towing or not is illegal. I am surprised that the owner's manual mentions nose weight as never seen that in any owner's manual however it can only be a good thing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Aussie tuggers often get issues because caravan weights and noseweight limits are much higher there but rear axle limits usually the same as ours - so running a 3500 kg trailer with 350 kg noseweight can often limit the car payload to avoid overloading the rear axle - wheras in Europe a 1500 kg caravan with a 100 kg noseweight has much less effect on the rear axle.
I suspect the Aussie legislation was conceived when most of the car purchased in Australia were actually built in Australia. There was quite extensive history of manufacturers who took their models from around the globe and modified them for the Aussie conditions. Suspensions and rolling gear were a common mod to cope with the thousands of miles of unpaved roads. Even our beloved British Leyland played this game, as did several American brands.

Whilst manufacturing practices may changed, the legislation has not kept up.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Don’t forgot the Aussie floating caravansView attachment 3744
In the lake district in South Africa they went one better. Caravan was put onto a raft with an outboard engine and off you went. Enough room to walk around the sides, but you could not put up an awning. The raft was mainly kept afloat with 44 gallon drums and professionally built. :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts