To Cadac or not to Cadac

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Was the Rainbow trout tasty

From memory, yes! That was at Charmouth back in 2016 and we found a fantastic fishmonger in Lyme Regis who we went to every day. Living in the Midlands we're about as far away from the coast as it gets so tend to make the most of fresh fish when we're near the coast.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Still not sure if I want one or not. I use a charcoal firepit-come-bbq , which is great if you're on a site where fires are allowed. Once you've cooked dinner just chuck a few logs on. I wouldn't mind a separate BBQ, either charcoal or gas, one which I can stand up and use.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Daft question but do they generally come with with all the different cooking trays?

That’s where they make their money! Once you buy one you get convinced you need 101 of their accessories to go with it…. I think we ended up with four different cooking plates, each with their own storage bag. If buying one secondhand just check the date on the gas hose as they perish over time.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Cadac simply because everyone on the CAMC sites seem to be using them. I was worried we'd be chased off with torches and pitchforks if we dared to use anything else!

On the plus side, i was able to buy a nearly new and pristine Carri Chef 2 with loads of accessories for £50 ;)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Chris, a few years ago I noticed someone using one of these, a lot cheaper and lighter than a Cadac. Might even get one myself.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have the Grillo Chef bought after the CAMH club shop had an unbeatable offer on it a few years back. We are happy with it and we have cooked enough for six at a time. We do have plenty of weight capacity to spare when towing so its weight is not a problem for us but it might be for some people and it does take up a fair bit of room but it is efficient and easy enough to clean so works well for us. As jccloughie says it is not a proper barbeque, so you do have to weigh up the ease of use and cleaning against a charcoal model and the barbeque taste and whatever you go for is probably the right one for you. It is a personal choice.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
I love all types of barbecue gas or charcoal. I have a choice at home of smokers and fire pit plus the conventional Weber kettle. But when we are in the van we only take the CADAC and it is our preferred cooking method. Barbecue in the Uk or fish in France does a great job of all. It also has the advantage of being cleaner to use and store and exceptionally versatile. It also doesn’t cover your neighbours in wood smoke. On the minus side you won’t get the smoky taste of a charcoal grill but CADAC do have a small smoking box you can use if that’s your thing. I’ve not tried it so not able to comment. All really comes down to your own preference but I could mention that some campsite will hire charcoal barbecues so you could take your choice.

Attachments

• B0A86EF9-1CC1-4AC5-A6A9-FB342BEBCC37.jpeg
    B0A86EF9-1CC1-4AC5-A6A9-FB342BEBCC37.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I love all types of barbecue gas or charcoal. I have a choice at home of smokers and fire pit plus the conventional Weber kettle. But when we are in the van we only take the CADAC and it is our preferred cooking method. Barbecue in the Uk or fish in France does a great job of all. It also has the advantage of being cleaner to use and store and exceptionally versatile. It also doesn’t cover your neighbours in wood smoke. On the minus side you won’t get the smoky taste of a charcoal grill but CADAC do have a small smoking box you can use if that’s your thing. I’ve not tried it so not able to comment. All really comes down to your own preference but I could mention that some campsite will hire charcoal barbecues so you could take your choice.

Not a Cadac owner myself (have a dirty old gas BBQ covered in burnt fat and rather rusty inside in spite of that covering. Scrub important bits with wire brush before first use each year. Been considering replacing but really want a BBQ and not a Cadac or similar.

What we do, want, like or dislike is completely irrelevant to everyone else so apologies for falling into the trap of writing it down!

The motivation for this post is simply to say that your photo sums up what is an important element of caravan holidays for myself and my wife.

In no particular order: sun, warmth, good quality food, wine, satisfaction and discovery. The European jaunt has been part of our life for around 50 years and we never tire of it.

Travelling all over Europe and experiencing the different "ways of life" is always a joy if somewhat marred by events of a few years ago.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Absolutely nothing like a couple of plump blue black shiny fresh mackerel sizzling away on a barbecue grill. Partnered by a chill glass of your favourite tipple and accompanied by a crisp salad. Oh where’s the passport and sun…….

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
i use to go sea fishing with my brother often at Bridlington those were the days catching the fish which i have caught .:D
Once on a beach near Rame Head in Cornwall a shoal of Sea Bass drove a shoal of mackerel inshore and some were flapping in the shallows. Easy pickings for that nights supper and a goodly number went in the freezer too. That’s my kind of fishing 😂

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Once on a beach near Rame Head in Cornwall a shoal of Sea Bass drove a shoal of mackerel inshore and some were flapping in the shallows. Easy pickings for that nights supper and a goodly number went in the freezer too. That’s my kind of fishing 😂
Rame Head beach and nearby Cawsand were once great places for spider crabs.An old friend of mine is buried in the church yard at Rame Head.Also there is an excellent CL at the top near the church. Spectacular views

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Rame Head beach and nearby Cawsand were once great places for spider crabs.An old friend of mine is buried in the church yard at Rame Head.Also there is an excellent CL at the top near the church. Spectacular views
Lovely area, Whitsands was one of our favoured spots when taking the kids out. But not in summer !

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Absolutely nothing like a couple of plump blue black shiny fresh mackerel sizzling away on a barbecue grill. Partnered by a chill glass of your favourite tipple and accompanied by a crisp salad. Oh where’s the passport and sun…….
After gutting the fish we would fill the insides with tomato, peppers onion etc and then wrap the fish in wet newspaper and chuck it straight on the hot charcoal. When done and unwrapping, the skin and scales stuck to the paper and lovely juicy meat inside. (y) :D

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i use to go on the rocks at Pwllheli and often caught fish with my hand lines and enjoyed the sport ..

Last edited:

Grumpy

BANNED
Jan 25, 2023
Visit site
Do you have a Cadac said:
I've had one for 6 years and think they are OK
We use it for breakfast when we go away. and that's all.
I wouldn't say they are an expensive toy but they are rather pricey, then everything in Rip Off Britain seems expensive to me, could be I'm just tight!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts