To Cadac or not to Cadac

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
A long time ago staying at Pengrugla which is now Heligan Woods site a guy on the site brought round his early morning catch and we had sole cooked on charcoal for breakfast! Also walked the footpath down to the Pentewan Sands bay and remember saying how strange it was like walking though an overgrown domestic garden - little did we imagine what it was to become!
To get back to the original topic now the Cadac is my firm favourite although hate cleaning the non-stick griddle after use!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The Cadac skottel is awful to wash and cannot be washed in the caravan.

When we were avid CADAC users we used to take some Mr Muscle spray oven cleaner and a load of kitchen towel, it was messy but got it clean eventually. With the hot plate we now use all it needs is a wipe down, much easier, especially when on a CL.

Reactions: Buckman
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
What's the difference between the Grillo Chef and the Carri Chef.... I presume Carri Chef is just newer edition? I see Carri Chef 40 is yet to be released. I think I am pretty set on a Grillo 40 which is on Ebay for £120 new. If it's an older model, so what? It's half the price of the latest and greatest!

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What's the difference between the Grillo Chef and the Carri Chef.... I presume Carri Chef is just newer edition? I see Carri Chef 40 is yet to be released. I think I am pretty set on a Grillo 40 which is on Ebay for £120 new. If it's an older model, so what? It's half the price of the latest and greatest!
We have the Cadac Safari grill which we bought to use in France as thought in most places we could not BBQ. We have only used it 3 - 4 times and are looking to sell it. Maybe it would suit you as we are down in Somerset in June.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Thanks
We have the Cadac Safari grill which we bought to use in France as thought in most places we could not BBQ. We have only used it 3 - 4 times and are looking to sell it. Maybe it would suit you as we are down in Somerset in June.

Thanks, but I have looked at the Safaris and I decided I want the bigger one as I can use it standing up and I'm interested in using it for pizzas.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks

Thanks, but I have looked at the Safaris and I decided I want the bigger one as I can use it standing up and I'm interested in using it for pizzas.
We have had Grillo Chef for some years now and found it perfect for our needs. I can comfortably stand to use it or sit beside it ' watching it and drinking beer. Its quite easy to clean, as I tended to use site sinks, but not impossible on a CL, just took the caravan washing up bowl outside.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
We've had a Safari Chef for a few years and been very pleased with it. Unfortunately I'm not getting any younger and now find it's a bit low for me when using it.
Just bought a Cadac Grill 2 Braii. It's a lot taller with a much bigger griddle/BBQ plate.
Not used it yet but I have set it up and it feels much more comfortable to my aching back.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

The "standing" issue is easily addressed, place it on the/a table, exploiting multi uses of said table, but if your desire for something larger is the dominating issue, then the Safari option is clearly out.

De-cluttering has over the years been our goal, this hobby has that seeming irresistible trend to "acquire" more bulk of "stuff".
We found it to the point going away becomes increasingly a challenge in itself, acquire carefully!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The "standing" issue is easily addressed, place it on the/a table, exploiting multi uses of said table, but if your desire for something larger is the dominating issue, then the Safari option is clearly out.

De-cluttering has over the years been our goal, this hobby has that seeming irresistible trend to "acquire" more bulk of "stuff".
We found it to the point going away becomes increasingly a challenge in itself, acquire carefully!
I found that our old Cadac the 48 cm one sits nicely on our outdoor table with out the legs, this had to be done when I remembered at mile 45 from home the legs were in the garage, next to the 2nd unneeded aqua roll, as we were on a FSP.

I also took to balancing myself with a beer whilst holding the BBQ tongues.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We've had a Safari Chef for a few years and been very pleased with it. Unfortunately I'm not getting any younger and now find it's a bit low for me when using it.
Just bought a Cadac Grill 2 Braii. It's a lot taller with a much bigger griddle/BBQ plate.
Not used it yet but I have set it up and it feels much more comfortable to my aching back.

Place a chair next to it and a small table. Place a beer on the table and seat yourself in the chair. Relax and cook the food at the same time while drinking your beer. Problem solved!

We used to place our Cadac Safari on a table, but now we only use a Webber Smoky Joe charcoal BBQ which we can place on the same table as heat rises. Problem solved if I want to stand around instead of relaxing in a chair with a frostie!

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Look what arrived today! :)

View attachment 4470
Looks good hopefully it will not be too long before it is used. I converted my gas point to quick release so I can use a variety of gas sources if required. Currently Campingaz or Calor patio bbq cylinder. They need different regulators which I fit with rubber tubing and a QR fitting. Quite convenient.

cadac QR

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferrodo
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Looks good hopefully it will not be too long before it is used. I converted my gas point to quick release so I can use a variety of gas sources if required. Currently Campingaz or Calor bbq cylinder. They need different regulators which I fit with rubber tubing and a QR fitting. Quite convenient.
I have a BBQ gas point o the exterior of the caravan. Thus using the quick release l effortless and simple.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
You can never have enough CADAC accessories BUT the game changer is the adjustable feet…..oh yeah oooooh yeah

What? Technology going too far! When I were younger it wasn’t a proper Cadac barbecue unless you’d spent half an hour levelling it with scrap bits of wood, leaving it looking like a three-legged, precarious game of Jenga!!!!!!:D

May 10, 2020
Visit site
What? Technology going too far! When I were younger it wasn’t a proper Cadac barbecue unless you’d spent half an hour levelling it with scrap bits of wood, leaving it looking like a three-legged, precarious game of Jenga!!!!!!:D
I know I know but when you can fry eggs without them sliding down hill and perfecting your pealla without constantly stirring well what can I say

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I managed to perfect chasing three eggs round the hot plate with a spatula until they’d cooked enough so they didn’t “become one”, I saw it as a bout of exercise to make me feel less guilty about the 2,000 calorie breakfast I was about to consume!

Reactions: Ferrodo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts