To cover or not?

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
I have a 2002 luna 520 2 in good condition bought earlier this year as swmbo refused to camp again after a three day trial. The van lives in the field adjacent to my house on a hard standing and is protected from winds/driving rain by bushes and trees. Living in Wales there is a fair amount of rain so I thought a cover would be a good idea to preserve the van. I am concerned though that a cover may reduce the ventilation possibly allowing mould to get a hold (its hard enough to keep it out of the house) and spoiling what is a good van. If a cover is used would a generic cover work or should I get a van specific one (if available for such an old van) and is the cost of a custom cover worth while given the relatively low value. What are your thoughts on the pros and cons please
Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ventilation is the best way to keep mildew and mould at bay. so if a cover does restrict that is not good news it,

If a cover does not fit properly and can be kept taught any play can rub on windows and paintwork. You can try applying cling film to the windows to help protect them, but it might be a bit much trying to wrap the whole caravan!

Depending on teh type of cover ,it may be quite dark material, which can heat up more than the caravan would.

I personally never used a cover, but I know plenty that have, some who have suffered with teh above points and some who have been absolutely fine.

As an alternative, have you considered just covering the roof?

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
We are in North West Wales and after weighing up the pros and cons decided not to bother with a cover, If ours leaks we want to know about it not cover it till the first down pour while we are away and if it's gets dirty we clean it ..... sometimes :cheer:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have never used a cover but rely on retaining good ventilation. In winter all cupboard, loo and locker doors are opened. Contents removed. The soft furnishings are all positioned away from their bases such that air can freely circulate. Removable carpets are removed. Curtains are drawn but blinds are not. There is adequate ventilation in and out of the caravan to not require windows or vents to be left ajar. We've never suffered mould/mildew. One other tip we were given is not to use waxy type polish like Pledge on surfaces as this can initiate mould.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote" You can try applying cling film to the windows to help protect them "

DO NOT follow this advice unless you want to ruin the windows !!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Ours is kept in storage outside on hardstanding and over winter we open all lockers,wardrobe, door to bathroom and keep a number of damp traps (the type with granules that help trap the damp, purchased from a local home store for a pound or two) around the van to collect any moisture that may be present. So far this has worked fine and we go and check the van and empty/replace these a few times over winter.
I have read about people using trays of silica type cat litter as a cheaper option but not tried it myself.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Over the years I have used full covers and you do get mildew, what I have these days is top cover that comes down the back for a couple of feet and down the sides the same, on the front I have a front cover, this find keeps all the standing water and snow off the top of the caravan which I do not like,

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Lynnybobs said:
and keep a number of damp traps (the type with granules that help trap the damp, purchased from a local home store for a pound or two) around the van to collect any moisture that may be present. So far this has worked fine and we go and check the van and empty/replace these a few times over winter.
I have read about people using trays of silica type cat litter as a cheaper option but not tried it myself.

People do say that damp traps of any form are a total waste of money, as you are drying the air temporarily for it to be immediately replaced by damper air from outside due to the van's in-built ventilation methods. It's a bit like King Canute trying to hold the sea back. :(

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Never wasted my time or money on a cover.
You're better off spending your time thoroughly polishing the paintwork including the roof with a high quality product like Autoglym . Or you could use something like Fenwicks Overwintering Solution if you are feeling lazy.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
I can't really see the point of a cover. a caravan is supposed to be used outside. it should be water tight or is not fit for purpose like a tent if it leaks it useless. yes they get dirty sometimes but a wash will sort that. you can get coatings that make this easier but still. a cover just more expense for little gain that can make matters much worse.

quick word on damp traps. waste of time and money. in order to keep damp [condensation] at bay the van needs to be well ventilated. it is the only moisture you should have because the van should be water tight in every other respect. being ventilated requires a good flow of air around the van. so on a damp day this air will be damp also. shouldn't matter too much as the constant circulation will replace this air with dry air on a dry day.
water traps just trap the water around the trap itself when this has been done it attempts to dry the air from the surrounding area. as the circulation has to be good in a van. the trap will try to dry the worlds atmosphere that circulates through the van on a minute by minute basis. the downside of this is the more moisture the trap collects the more moisture enters the van.

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all the coments, looks like the consensus is don't cover. I have had good results using damp absorbing granules in my caravans in Florida and whilst I have no proof that it would have been ok without them for the small cost involved I will stick with them over here too. At least I can check it regularly when it is not in use. Might investigate getting a few scaffold poles to make a frame I can tie a tarp to Dutch barn style.

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Damp absorbing crystals and dehumidifiers only work under two conditions, you have a damp problem or in a sealed environment,. Under normal conditions in a well ventilated dry caravan you are simply trying to dry out the world.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " I have had good results using damp absorbing granules in my caravans in Florida "

Ermmmmmmmm,,,,,you are not in Florida !!!
You are in a temperate climate with lots of damp and humid atmosphere, even in the hottest days of the year, small number that usually is hot.

As has been said, dehumidifiers and crystal water traps are OK if you want to dry, or attempt to dry the worlds atmosphere, but they are absolutely no use in a caravan.

I suppose it is a bit like wetting yourself wearing dark trousers, you get a nice warm feeling , but that's it !!!!!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Cover: No. Too many negative variables from damage to the van from scratching and trapped condensation.

Moisture collectors/Dehumidifiers: No. Just bring the damp in from outside.

Good ventilation is all you need. A caravan is designed to be outdoors all year round. Why cover it? Just use it all year round.

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
How about using a low voltage de-humidifier?.
These days they are super efficient, and can be adjusted to be "just" removing moisture.
Just an idea and prepared to be shot down!

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
PHOENIXFLIER said:
How about using a low voltage de-humidifier?.

Please read previous comments. It's useless trying to dry the air in a caravan as the van is ventilated and always changing the inside air, thus you are trying to dry the world. ;)
(Consider yourself shot down :p )

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are shot down !!!!

What is the difference between using a low voltage unit or a mains voltage.........NONE
What are the benefits of using a dehumidifier, low voltage, mains voltage, crystals???? NONE

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote " I have had good results using damp absorbing granules in my caravans in Florida "

Ermmmmmmmm,,,,,you are not in Florida !!!
You are in a temperate climate with lots of damp and humid atmosphere, even in the hottest days of the year, small number that usually is hot.

As has been said, dehumidifiers and crystal water traps are OK if you want to dry, or attempt to dry the worlds atmosphere, but they are absolutely no use in a caravan.

I suppose it is a bit like wetting yourself wearing dark trousers, you get a nice warm feeling , but that's it !!!!!
I'll bow to your experience on the dark trousers bit and strangely I had noticed that I was not in Florida which is more humid than the uk most of the time. I never did any tests as to whether the crystals helped or not but for the small cost I was happy to use them between visits especially as the van was ok each trip.
I do agree with everybody who is against a cover but will probably follow my inclination on the damp crystals

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
there is a program on nat geo called the [science of stupid] it basically a clip showing the unfortunate doing stupid things but with the added scientific reasons why it goes pear shaped. this thread is a candidate for the show.

the science is quite simple it called absorption. fluid transfer and evaporation.
the principal is easy to follow also. you have damp room. and want to dry it. so use a dehumidifier or absorption chrystals these absorb the moisture out of the air present in the room. when the air has lost most of it's moisture it draws more moisture from the surrounding area through fluid transfer or evaporation.
this dries out the material in the room that contains more moisture than the air so it slowly dries out the whole room.
now two things happen while this is going on. 1. the room has to be shut up without ventilation to prevent more moisture entering the room. and 2. the moisture is collected in a receptacle that has to be constantly emptied if it is not the unit or chrystals stop working when the saturation point is reached. when this happens the moisture already removed from the air is put back into the room by evaporation.
now some people believe using a humidifier/ chrystals/ salt. helps keep a caravan dry in the winter while it is left for long periods unattended. but this is where the stupid comes in. a caravan is not a sealed room but well ventilated so the air is constantly changing. the more moisture that is removed the more it is replaced by the circulating air. so no drying effect takes place. only the air in the van that passes through is effected and this is lost as new air replaces it.
plus if the absorption material is not constantly changed it reaches saturation point and then fails to absorb any more moisture. and puts the process on hold.
so it's just a waste of time trying. there is no benefit whatsoever in doing it.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Hear, hear Colin.
(As a 'science qualified' person! ) I have used similar words many times, but it seems that no matter how much 'science' you use, -- stubbornness is the strongest qualification.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts