To sell van or not

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Thanks a lot Steve - you trying to say I'm loony!!

Only got 1 kid, don't suppose I really need such a big van - oh decisions decisions.

Anyway, how is your leg mate?

Lolly x

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lolly

Hope you are ok.

Aren't you happy with your present van? If I were you, I'd give it a bit longer, use it a few more times and then see how you feel.

My van is old and in about two years we are going for a four berth with fixed bed. I find it such a pain to make up beds/put them away again in the morning. In two years I don't think our daughter will want to join us old codgers (hopefully!!). As I do the towing, I'm quite happy to have a van with an internal length of about 17 feet. We can get that on the drive when necessary.

I love the Hymers and fancy one of them, I think they look quite well made and very modern inside.

Do you have fixed bunks in yours? If there's only the three of you, if you have fixed bunks I suppose it's a bit of a waste of space and if you had a van with less berths perhaps you could have say a nice big washroom with separate shower. I did look at the Dart 545 (I think) I was well impressed with the bathroom but I'm definately going for a fixed bed, or, one with a bedroom at the end which can be shut off with a door.

Do what I do when I have a dilema - write down the positive things about your van and write down the negatives. Compare both. Write a list of what you would like in another van and then compare. Just a thought.

Lisa xxx

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi again,

We have just ordered the Bailey Ranger 460/4, the new fixed bed, we have 2 children and as we spend most of the time in the awning and get fed up with the constant bed making we went to the show and fell in love with the 460. We know lots of people with Baileys who highly recommend them so looking forward to July. Have a look online at the layout, we decided if it was cold and raining then the kids could go up one end whilst my husband and I could lay on the bed reading, the bed at the front is so easy to make, it took us all of about 30 seconds. Good luck.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Last Year when we replaced our old van due to write off, we could not find what we wanted. Our Jobs and lives mean we mainly use the van for main holidays, we've very rarely used the vans on a weekend.

And with other toys to fund buying a new van has never been an option we've considered.

Our present T/A Senator it huge it seems compard to our old vans and we bought it mainly because it was as new only used 3 or 4 times!

Space is what counts in my book, I wish we had more when my kids were young and with us.

I've looked at the fixed bed vans, but we prefer to have the day time space so were happy to make a bed up at night.

I can't imagine how anyone would get on moving to a smaller van especially with kids and times when the weather is not so good.

DON'T do it Lolly, try it for a bit longer!

With kids with you I'm sure you would regret down sizing.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ps, We got bed making down to under 3 minutes years ago in the Caravan. If it takes you longer, you have to much clutter ;-)

That should start a war ;-)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ps, We got bed making down to under 3 minutes years ago in the Caravan. If it takes you longer, you have to much clutter ;-)

That should start a war ;-)
cris

The three minute record, did you break any nails along the way?

Lisa

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
We always had 5berth Vans, although there is only two of us, for space mainly, but have just downsized to a Coachman 450/2, this is the same layout as the first Van we bought, with the large end washroom,it has a very large square shower, lots of wardrobe space, and dressing area, we don't mind the side beds we use them as singles so just throw a quilt and pillow on takes only two minutes.strange how what goes around comes around I still think the bench seats are the way to go.

Glenice.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I reckon you could be on the right track looking for fewer berths, all the 6 berth 'vans I've seen are just full of beds and not a lot of space for anything else. A decent sized fixed bed 'van could give you more space and more storage space too. A lot of people don't like fixed beds, the trick is to buy a 'van which is big enough to lose the space to it.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has posted under this topic, we are going to do a list like Lisa suggested, but will probably decide to keep it after reading all your ideas.

Thanks very much one and all!!

Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I often wander why people take young goat(s) with them when caravanning - surely the constant noise of the goat would keep you awake, although OK for fresh milk (assuming it is a nanny goat) - how old must a goat be for milk and when does it become a goat and not a kid?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts