To stabilise or not!!!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Anyones opinion on using a stabiliser or not .

I've just paid £250 for a new tow bar and have been told I should have got one with a stabiliser on it .

Have enquired and it will cost nearly £200 to add on .

I it necessary?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony

This is one of those things that's hard to advise on, as you don't actually know if it's working or not. I've always had one, a blade type, and have never had a twitch from the caravan. But then again I've got to the end of the journey a couple of times and found that the blade has jumped out of it's slider, so wasn't actually doing anything, and again it didn't feel any different. But how many times it's actually prevented a snake or sway I don't know, there's no way to tell. Good loading is the best way to prevent a snake, but then again many properly loaded 'vans have been caught out by a sudden gust of wind or a high sided vehicle pressure wave.

So I would say that's it's better to err on the side of safety. After all what's cheaper, a stabiliser or a written of outfit? Not to mention the upset and embarrassment of seeing your caravan contents spread across the M4 during rush hour, causing the closure of the motorway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've beeen towing on and off since 1967 and have never used a stabilser, not have I seriously frightened myself.

I agree that loading ande noseweight are more important, and another thing that help is if the tow car is much heavier than the van and tus the ratio is down in the 60% region rather than 80-85%.

All my outfits have been this way. The only sligth anxiety was wtih an end kitchen van, loaded with enough tinned food for 3 weeks in scotland (c1972). I've never had an end kitchen van since.

As has been said you don't ever really know if it's working or not. Another friend has now given up stablisers saying that all they do is get you into trouble at a higher speed.

However, if (or when) I have to go for an outfit nearer the 80% ratio, I should seriously consider the Alko type; it may be that my next van will come with this as standard anyway.

Noseweight is a fairly easy thing to measure - go for around 7% of van weight (loaded) if the car will take it. Loading is basically anything heavy should be low down and near the axle, and do not try to reduce noseweight to suit the car by putting something heavy right at the back of the van. This creates a "horizontal dumb-bell effect and you will soon discover the truth of the tail waggaing the dog.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
In 25 years towing, I have never used a stabiliser. I like to feel exactly what is going on back there so that I can react accordingly, not have a potential problem masked and only get to know about it when it is potentially a big problem! Attention to correct loading, noseweight, properly maintained vehicle and trailer are paramount.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is personal choice wheither you use one or not, I personally have tried with and without and I would'nt tow with out again as it gives you that extra piece of mind.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Test have shown that stabilisers certainly do what they're supposed to, some better than others. They certainly increase the threshold value of a when a snake potentially becomes life threatening. For this reason, I wouldn't be without one. In fact, I have 2, the Alko one integrated in the coupling and an electronic one which automatically applies the brakes of the caravan should conditions be so so severe that even the Alko can't cope. The 2 together give 100% protection for my absolute peace of mind.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My car is 1,800 kg, my caravan max weight is 850kg. That's less than 50%. It is never overloaded, and noseweight is spot on 60kg. I use a stabiliser because

(a) I like to tow at 130kph in France when it is legal, appropriate and safe to do so and (b) I sometimes feel slight instability when overtaking lorries or coaches in cross-winds.

Average combined car and caravan value - from

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I too have never used one in 25 years of towing my outfits have always been as steady as a rock. I have towed in almost gale force conditions and had large lorries pass nearby but my outfits have always been stable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony

I've been towing for over 45 years, some 220,000+ miles, almost all UK. I've had the very early Scott and tried types up to the Trapezium, which though perfect, can not meet the latest towbar directives so I have a Straightliner. I never wobble or sway. I fear my next 'van will have an Alko, but, keeping the towball nicely greased, my Straightliner will still keep me on the strait and narrow. My outfit is well balanced, but I believe in belt and braces.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I bought my Scott stabilizer in 1966 and I've used it every time I've towed. Recently, I changed my van and the new van came with an Alko 1300. I can't say the Alko is better because I don't know whether I've really needed a stabilizer at all. I just know that it's nice knowing that it's there. Rather like a tightrope walker having a safety net beneath them.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Tony

I've been towing for over 45 years, some 220,000+ miles, almost all UK. I've had the very early Scott and tried types up to the Trapezium, which though perfect, can not meet the latest towbar directives so I have a Straightliner. I never wobble or sway. I fear my next 'van will have an Alko, but, keeping the towball nicely greased, my Straightliner will still keep me on the strait and narrow. My outfit is well balanced, but I believe in belt and braces.
If you are going to buy a caravan that comes with an Alko stabiliser as standard but you prefer to continue to use your Straightliner, why not replace the Alko with a standard coupling and sell the Alko unit? I'm sure you'll find a willing buyer and you'll make a bit of money on the side, too. Also, if you sell the caravan with the Alko and the towball was greased, it's not much use to anyone without a thorough clean and exchange of pads.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony - agree with most of the comments and would add that a stabiliser does work! We've just done a 3000 mile trip to Switzerland (2000 towing)On one occasion when we stopped for a break at the services in France, I forgot to push the Alko stabiliser back down after removing the hitchlock. Although we tow at about 70% ratio, the van did twitch a little at higher speeds of 65-70mph especially when overtaking big HGV's. Once I'd reset the Alko stabiliser the outfit was as steady as a rock again, so I'd always have one and have done in 20 years of towing. As others have said what's

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Test have shown that stabilisers certainly do what they're supposed to, some better than others. They certainly increase the threshold value of a when a snake potentially becomes life threatening. For this reason, I wouldn't be without one. In fact, I have 2, the Alko one integrated in the coupling and an electronic one which automatically applies the brakes of the caravan should conditions be so so severe that even the Alko can't cope. The 2 together give 100% protection for my absolute peace of mind.
could you tell me where you got your electronic stabilizer from and how it works thanks. Lyn

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Lyn, I'm sorry but I overlooked your comment asking for information on the electronic stabiliser. It was featured in the July 2004 issue of PC so if you've still got a copy, you can read all about it there. If you haven't, it works on the principle of electronically sensing the sway that is caused by a snake. As soon as the value exceeds a certain predefined limit, it partially applies the brakes on the caravan and releases them again once stability is regained. At the same time a warning buzzer goes off in the towcar telling you that the caravan went unstable. If you're interested in more information, send me an email. My address is lschel@aol.com

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are going to buy a caravan that comes with an Alko stabiliser as standard but you prefer to continue to use your Straightliner, why not replace the Alko with a standard coupling and sell the Alko unit? I'm sure you'll find a willing buyer and you'll make a bit of money on the side, too. Also, if you sell the caravan with the Alko and the towball was greased, it's not much use to anyone without a thorough clean and exchange of pads.
Thanks for the exchange idea - obvious really !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the "stabilizers" that everyone is talking about are in fact dampers. The only true stabilizer is the Straingtliner type - hence the price, I suppose. Dampers just make it hard for the van to move from side to side. The Straighliner actually forces the caravan back in line. I have a Winterhoff fitted as standard but if it hadn't come free with the van, I'd have got the straightliner. We don't need to be macho here - go and buy one. They are NEVER a replacement for a basic mismatch or bad loading but it does no harm to wear a belt and braces - does it?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If you are using a Straightliner, DON'T use it conjunction with a Winterhoff (or similar like the AlKo). If you prefer the Straightliner, remove any other frictional stabiliser may be fitted and replace it with a conventional coupling. Any stabiliser which imparts forces into the towbar, regardless of whether it is a viscous damper like the Straightliner or a frictional damper like the Alko or Winterhoff may only be used together with an stabiliser which does not create any additional forces between car and caravan (such as an electronic stabiliser acting on the brakes). Otherwise, the forces transmitted through the towbar could be too high, either for the towbar itself or for the vehicle underbody structure. Prolonged use could lead to fatigue failure and consequently invalidate the vehicle warranty.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Just remember that if you think of the stabiliser as insurance, the coverage that this insurance provides is not limitless and it won't let you neglect necessary due care and attention.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

I,m new to towing a caravan (have towed trailers with cars on for years. I picked up our second-hand van with regular hitch and no stabiliser and drove 100 miles home most on the M1. It seemed to tow OK perhapse a little twitchy the nearer 60 I got.

The following week I fitted an AL-KO for exactly the reason Chris and Lutz state.The towing at speed (not excess speed) was transformed absolutely rock solid even when lorries went past at speed. I rather naughtily took the combo up to just over 70 the other night as it was quiet on the motorway and it was a dream. For me it gives peace of mind and a relaxed drive knowing that element of the towing business is taken care of and I can concentrate on other aspects.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony,

i took my stabilisers off a few years ago as i felt i was experienced enough to do without them. Sure i fell off a few times at first, as i am sure you will, but i dusted myself down and got back on staright away otherwise the fear might take hold and you'll never get back on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony,

i took my stabilisers off a few years ago as i felt i was experienced enough to do without them. Sure i fell off a few times at first, as i am sure you will, but i dusted myself down and got back on staright away otherwise the fear might take hold and you'll never get back on.
How safe are you when passing artics doing 60 mph?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In 25 years towing, I have never used a stabiliser. I like to feel exactly what is going on back there so that I can react accordingly, not have a potential problem masked and only get to know about it when it is potentially a big problem! Attention to correct loading, noseweight, properly maintained vehicle and trailer are paramount.
Well said, I thought I was a lone voice !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts