Toilet Fluid

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have used Blue Diamond and never had any problem. Given how close we are to Xmas I would be dubious about buying on line, just in case it gets caught in the backlog we always get at this time.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
But did they ban blue fluids that are compatible with a septic tank.
Dunno about Beachball site but the last site we were on, had a septic tank and they sold fluid compatible with a septic tank that was Blue in colour but “Green” in the sense of septic tank bacteria friendly, in use.
Think the confusion lies in the wonderfully morphic nature of the English language and that, historically at least, septic tank friendly fluid was green in colour as well as “Green” in character. Things have changed.
mel

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Dunno about Beachball site but the last site we were on, had a septic tank and they sold fluid compatible with a septic tank that was Blue in colour but “Green” in the sense of septic tank bacteria friendly, in use.
Think the confusion lies in the wonderfully morphic nature of the English language and that, historically at least, septic tank friendly fluid was green in colour as well as “Green” in character. Things have changed.
mel
I doubt very much if colour has anything to do with the way the fluid works?

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
John , I did notice that Chemipase did this twin pack.
Twin pack

Thanks Hutch. I had been looking at a single fluid they call no rinse. I think I prefer the two fluids although hoping that the pink is not going to create mould like some do!

Chemiphase knew I had visited since I checked an order for postage costs and they sent me the usual email telling me I had not completed the order!

In addition they sent a loyalty coupon (never ever bought from them before!) for extra 5% of all purchases.

I've just paid £21.65 for 5L rinse and 5L fluid - with free delivery (so £2.16 for 1L).

Will test out over Christmas and add a comment to the thread when tried the stuff.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On the point of the black bits coming from the rinse tank, we have always used a Pink rinse. Thetford, Elsan or other makes, and we only noticed the black bits in the first few months of having our caravans from new. After that no more black bits.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My cistern pump jammed up this year and when I took it out to clean it there were numerous black areas on the pipework. (The pump motor was jammed and just needed a little coaxing to get going again). We used the pink stuff for one year but then switched to the Elsan Green stuff. Can't be sure which caused the staining but we've stuck with the green for the last two years.

Reactions: Cons
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
On the point of the black bits coming from the rinse tank, we have always used a Pink rinse. Thetford, Elsan or other makes, and we only noticed the black bits in the first few months of having our caravans from new. After that no more black bits.
It's really strange because until quite recently I can honestly say I had never had the "black bits" issue.

My wife and I have tried to reason why but no conclusion. It may have been a "brand" of fluid that's started it off - we have bought stuff from Robinsons Caravans which is branded with their name but obviously they will have sourced it from a manufacturer.

So your experience is the bits appeared for a few months after purchasing your new van whilst in my case they seem only to have appeared much later in the day. (We bought our current van new in 2019)

Sounds like Sam has had better luck with the Elsan Green but, as he says, not easy to be certain.

I've cleaned out all water from the toilet and flushed through until clear water appeared before "winterising" the van some weeks ago. So the new rinse from Chemiphase will be properly tested on a clean system. I'll report back of course.

Incidentally, as referenced earlier, I sent my order to Chemiphase this morning and I've already received an email telling me it's been shipped! That I do count as reassuring - just need the fluid to compete with well known brands that are FAR more expensive than £2.16L.

To make a fair price comparison obviously dilution ratios need counting in.

For the Chemiphase they say 1% added to fresh water and, as other brands state, cover any solids.

For the pink flush the advice is contradictory and I've phoned to clarify. At one point they state 100ml of the pink to every 10L of water. Later they talk about a dilution of 5:1. These clearly contradict.

The technician was surprised to see this and agreed that it is inaccurate and confusing. Presumably it will be corrected. His advice was that 100ml of pink should be added to a full flush tank of water - that is to say 100ml added to approximately 3-4L which he judged would be the capacity of the tank (No idea how accurate that is though).

I suspect that most of us add a "glug, glug" of fluid rather than measuring - at least I do I admit. I'll try to be more "scientific" when checking this stuff out.

Just another thought. I've bought both flush additive and toilet waste additive. After checking these out I may find that using the toilet waste fluid in both flush AND waste will be the way to go all other things being equal. That way each flush tops up with correctly diluted (1%) fluid.

And lastly at the price this stuff is using a far stronger concentration would still leave it cheaper than most of the best known brands. I'll experiment.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Will let you know in couple of weeks when back home. Quietly confident. The Company seems very professional and not just a back street job!

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
I don't add any form of chemical to the cistern at home and don't see any reason to add any to the caravan cistern.
Let's face it a lot of motorhomes draw the flush water from the main tank and they certainly wouldn't be chucking a load of chemicals in there.

Reactions: Cons and izzy
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
As promised a view of the Chemiphase Toilet and Flush Fluid.

The above is the actual product I purchased (twin 5 litre pack). There are other sizes available.

You may wish to compare costs with your preferred chemical product. In our case the Chemiphase product is less than half the price of the alternatives we have regularly use.

One distinct drawback of the "pink" flush fluid in the past has been the growth of dark and unsightly mold in the flush tank which is then transferred to the bowl when flushed. The caravan was winterised before our Christmas trip so that the flush tank had been flushed with clean water and completely emptied. Although only used for a week there has been no re-growth of mold. That's not to say in time nothing will appear but I'm quietly confident mold is no longer an issue.

The toilet fluid is viscous and dark blue which sort of gives confidence it's going to do the job (Sorry if that sounds ridiculous but I'm sure some will know what I mean!) We tried to keep the correct concentration although "glug, glug, glug" rather than careful measuring.
The results for "full" use over 7 days have been at least as good as our experience with other products.
For what its worth we are converted and will use from now on.

Because carrying 20 liters of fluid was rather silly for a week we re-filled an empty smaller container for the toilet fluid and a plastic milk bottle for the rinse!

In case you have any interest in other cleaning type chemicals (patio etc etc) here is the web site. https://www.chemiphase.co.uk/

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks John, that's sounds good, I am down to my last litre of Pink and Blue, so will give this a try. I like the idea of a thickish Blue chemical.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Personally I have never used he pink stuff and see no need for it. We never use it at home and the chemical in the waste tank (green in ours) deals with what lands there.

Reactions: JTQ
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Thanks John, that's sounds good, I am down to my last litre of Pink and Blue, so will give this a try. I like the idea of a thickish Blue chemical.

Hope you're not disappointed Hutch. I look forward to hearing how you get on with the stuff.

So far as the "pink stuff" is concerned and referred to by a couple of other posts, I've used it primarily as a scented flush fluid - simply to help make the toilet smell as nice as possible.

So far as the Chemiphase pink stuff is concerned however I read that it contributes to the effect of the other stuff used in the toilet tank itself.

The product is claimed to remove built up deposits of "scale" too.

Consequently the pleasant smell, whilst welcome, is not as important as the "chemical" effects of the stuff.

Adding more fluid to the tank upon each flush maintains a decent dilution when, so far as I understand, the "other brands pink stuff" provides a nice smell and is not claimed to do much more?

What I certainly did notice on emptying the toilet was that there were many bubbles (almost frothing) which suggests to me that lime scale was probably being dealt with.

As noted previously one week of use by a single person doesn't provide sound evidence of performance. In my view I was suitably impressed to say I will continue to use it. What more can I say!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for the link. Looked on the website. Seems competitively priced and the blue/pink duo is not much more than blue alone. They also do other products such as descales for a domestic loo. Keep the reviews coming, May give it a go.
mel

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for the link. Looked on the website. Seems competitively priced and the blue/pink duo is not much more than blue alone. They also do other products such as descales for a domestic loo. Keep the reviews coming, May give it a go.
mel

I think you'll find the blue/pink duo is for 50% of the blue alone. (Blue 20 liter, pink and blue both 10 liter) Still very competitively prices. Would cost no more than many other products if DOUBLE doses were used!

TRENDING THREADS