Toilet Fluid

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Will be away over Christmas and realise I need toilet fluid.
Have used most brands over time but, apart from wanting an environmentally safe product, I've no allegiance to any brand.

Halfords have 2l of Blue Diamond for £6.49. This is half the price of most other brands but does it only work half as well!
Chemiphase (new one to me) have 10 litres for £22.79 which is obviously even cheaper and includes free shipping).

Would welcome any advice from forum members who have personal experience with either of these two brands.

And yes, I do mostly subscribe to the view that you get what you pay for but with the caveat that there are bargains to be found!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
For well over 10 years I have used a "Bio" laundry liquid in the cassette, a "full wash" amount.
I would add that I also daily empty the cassette, not to avoid challenging the product to withstand a longer period, but simply because I physically would have difficulties carrying our non wheeled cassette and in some dumping points manhandling it.

Cost varies but I use a supermarket's own brand, no particular one and pay about £3.5 for a month's camping worth.

Reactions: GUMPY and Mr Plodd
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have tried the Diamond Blue, yes it works, but truthfully I empty our honey bucket every morning, so never notice if one really works better than another to break down " lumps".
But I do tend to go for Elsan Double Blue, as they tend to do a double pack on offer at times.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We always just buy Green chemicals as they can be used on any site; no need to have 2 sorts in the front locker. Generally a fan of Elsan Green, but recently ended up with “Natures Call” Green from Go Outdoors. This had a very pleasant smell which didn’t turn fishy. Tried Thetford Green sachets but found had to use two in order to dispel aromas.
As with others, for us the object of the exercise is to prevent nasty niffs, rather than break down matter; as it is emptied daily.
Mel

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Like many others, I have got into the habit of emptying every day.
I use the Elsan Organic toilet fluid and rinse. This saves having to carry toilet and flush fluids in separate containers.
I choose this product for convenience, there may be better, more effective products out there.

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
We must have tried them all over the years - including the 'cheaies'.
Our experience tells us that you get what you pay for !
There are a nmber of ways to save money. Toilet fluid isn't one of them. And surely by emptying every day you use more 'Blue; ?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
And if not then just as "surely," you need to! ;)
We have to empty every day, OAP' keeping out kidneys flushed, albeit with beer and wine. The double Blue certainly doesn't need much.
Awaiting for anyone to mention about Johnb's "Chemipase" question.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Don't just look at the price but also the dosage, we found some cheapies needed twice the measure so actually making them more expensive.

Like others we usually stick with the eco friendly ones, I think the elsan one but have also found aquachem ok. We've had no issues with either in there three days on the rare occasions we don't use the loo much.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We use this Elsan Organic toilet fluid and rinse some sites we went to preferred you to use green and it safe for there septic tank

Attachments

• Elsan-Green-Toilet-Fluid-1.jpg
    Elsan-Green-Toilet-Fluid-1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. It would be a miracle if we all had the same favourite of course but good to hear opinions around the subject.

We are certainly not fans of the pink flush additive - mouldy dark "blobs" do ruin the appearance of the bowl although the smell is ok. Using a fluid that is safe both in the flush and the bowl is a preference and many, if not most, are ok in either.

In days of yore the thick blue fluid was a firm favourite but sadly not friendly with septic tanks so we now avoid. (Bit like creosote which was the defacto fence preservative but now banished in favour of less effective but safer alternatives)

Interesting the no one has tried "Chemiphase". The large size makes it cheap but also a "large" waste if not able to do the job.

Will probably look around for any offers and grab a bargain if any appear.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Elsan Double Blue has served us very well for decades. But it is not bacteria friendly for the organic waste systems now being used on sites.
So as Mel said we too carry more Elsan Organic (green) for all our trips. We use this in the flush too rather than the Elsan Pink

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not all blue toilet fluids are incompatible with site septic tanks. We used Onechem/Unochem which is blue but suitable for use with septic tanks.

Although because the world is inhabited by ill informed souls I used to empty the cassette under cover of darkness and wearing hoodie, and redosed the cassette in the awing with the bottle kept in a plan brown paper bag. :eek:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree with Gary B about Camperlife, smelt good in bottle but not great performance, although the bottle with the dose measuring neck is kept for top tank pink now. Elsan Blue in tank, and as an aside have found a toilet tissue that breaks down quickly,every time I rinsed tank it always seemed to have un dissolved tissue clinging to inside, now using a brand called Bliss, not widely available but since using it no more residusl tissue in the tank

Reactions: GaryB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not all blue toilet fluids are incompatible with site septic tanks. We used Onechem/Unochem which is blue but suitable for use with septic tanks.

Although because the world is inhabited by ill informed souls I used to empty the cassette under cover of darkness and wearing hoodie, and redosed the cassette in the awing with the bottle kept in a plan brown paper bag. :eek:
Sadly the use of the word “green” has been corrupted 😉

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Agree with Gary B about Camperlife, smelt good in bottle but not great performance, although the bottle with the dose measuring neck is kept for top tank pink now. Elsan Blue in tank, and as an aside have found a toilet tissue that breaks down quickly,every time I rinsed tank it always seemed to have un dissolved tissue clinging to inside, now using a brand called Bliss, not widely available but since using it no more residusl tissue in the tank
Hi there is there a certain colour for the bliss paper as i see there are several or do they all do the same job.
thx guiness

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are using 'Bliss Quilted' ours is white,'Blissfully made in the UK by Star Tissue UK Ltd' stumbled across it by chance as it was listed on the price list of one of our suppliers at work, suspect it is a brand that will be available in smaller independent shops as not seen it in any supermarkets.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
No-one has mentioned this one yet, as some swear by it:

https://camperlife.uk/product-category/toilet-grey-waste-cleaners/

I tried two "flavours" and while it certainly smells nice in the bottle, we just didn't think it worked as well as the Elsan that we've stuck with since. Interesting comments about the blue version not being suitable for septic tanks, something I'll keep an eye out for in future.
We went to a site they preferred you use green organic fluids only for there septic tank so i would carry some just in case .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts