Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You don't say which country you are referring to. If you mean France, only the height of the caravan makes a difference. Folding caravans under 2m are cheaper.

In Italy there is a 60% surcharge for twin axles but otherwise I don't know of any other country that differentiates between single and twin axles.

Apr 22, 2007
Visit site
You don't say which country you are referring to. If you mean France, only the height of the caravan makes a difference. Folding caravans under 2m are cheaper.

In Italy there is a 60% surcharge for twin axles but otherwise I don't know of any other country that differentiates between single and twin axles.
Thanks Lutz, towing a caravan through France down to Costa Dorada in Spain just wanted to settle a difference of opinion.

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Della....Lutz is right but we have travelled through France to Spain on a few occasions now with our T/A van and we are still unsure about how they levy charges at the tolls. Sometimes the receipts given show category 2 and sometimes category 3, which is dearer. (category 1 is for a car) Of course when at the toll booth we just pay what shows up in the pay window so we are non the wiser and to challenge the charges at the time is not practical.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On some autoroutes it is cheaper in the week rather than at weekends; we have been charged cat 1 despite towing a poptop caravan. Like BM, we just pay what we're asked.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
like others, we tend to just pay up (not good really I suppose) but in France it is generally 50% extra for towing a caravan and in Spain it seems to be no extra charge at all. However,I can only comment for a single axle.

Mar 27, 2007
Visit site
hi, della you will find that france and spain charge tolls at the rate on single and twin axle just rerurned calais to bennicasim [spain] return trip 2710 miles tolls 240 euros.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts