Total Knee Replacements

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone on here caravan, erect an awning etc, post knee replacement?
Mine are knackered. I can still manage no problem on the whole but if I have the op is that the end of caravanning?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not personally, but I do know several people who have had knee replacements and manage to caravan with complaints ( about the knees anyway)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Where there's a will there's a way. In my case after 3 serious surgeries (not knee related) I still manage. Albeit taking twice as long and dragging a low stool around to sit at each peg point! The benefits outweigh the pain!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone on here caravan, erect an awning etc, post knee replacement?
Mine are knackered. I can still manage no problem on the whole but if I have the op is that the end of caravanning?

Not post but pre op :woohoo: . Like you both of mine are totally knackered and my god its painfull. I know lots that have had it done and caravan, so don't let that put you off. The biggest problem I have is that my back is also knackered and bending is very difficult. Putting the awning up is no problem for me, shorthouse that I am, but pegging means I have to get down to them.Keep getting up again to move to the next peg is excruciating, but its either that or crawl about on the floor, which just looks daft. This is partially why we have bought a Magnum porch, less pegs.

Anyhoo, you can't miss me on site, Im the one with a pint of Old Pec in one hand, and a bottle of Orimorph in t'other.
And another good reason for an auto box.

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I believe the problem after knee replacement is that of kneeling down. My sister in Law has had a knee replaced and has been told she is not to kneel on that replacement knee.
A small stool or a double step to sit on while hammering in the pegs might be the answer

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Dustydog said:
if I have the op is that the end of caravanning? )

Being just a few months away from my 90th birthday, I'm happy to say both my knees are fine. However I like to spend four winter months in Spain in my caravan. Towing there is no problem however putting up and taking down my full awning on my own is an effort. Fortunately, some good mates give me a hand. The most reliable guy had both knees done just prior to him leaving home in mid-November. His bending and dog-walking ability didn't seem to bother him in the least.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A friend of ours had a replacement knee and the change was unbelievable. She was back to cycling, walking and activities that she hadn’t done for a long while without a lot of pain. What she was like kneeling down I don’t know but she said that she couldn’t believe the transformation. However that didn’t last more than six months. Her husband was doing some decorating and meticulous bloke that he is, Dave covered the lounge floor with a dust sheet. Chris tripped over it and smashed the new knee. She was hospitalised for six weeks and even now some two years on she’s not at all confident the second new knee and uses a stick.

So Dusty as long as you keep caravaning and keep off DIY you should be absolutely fine.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
My wife had a single knee replacement in November 2017. Walking was nigh on impossible up to then, and she had developed a noticeable limp over the years before the replacement. Since then walking is almost pain free, although prolonged hard surfaces can be tiring, and the limp has all but disappeared. She continues to do exercises daily, after the physio ended, but has never gained the full 90 degree bend so steep stairs can be slow. As others have commented while you retain your original kneecap you are advised not to kneel and many find this painful. However we know of others who after the initial painful bit post-op who still climb ladders and have a cracking golf swing! It will take grit and determination on your behalf, but most likely to be well worth the obtained comfort and new-found mobility, and many years happy exploring in the caravan! The very best of luck to you!

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi Dusty D,

My wife has had knee rplacements in both knees (twice).

Been a godsend to her earlier mobility problems.

Have a chat with your consultant (who is likely to be the one carrying out the operation), I guess you will be pleasantly surprised as to what you can and cannot do post op.

I'm sure it will go well for you, and I know you will offer to give me a hand with hammering in my awning pegs on our future meets :p

fj

Jul 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi
I had a replacement knee 12 years ago . I am now 82 and still caravanning
work hard on the physio before and after the operation and you should have good result
some knee replacements can be knelt on and some cannot your surgeon should advise you
good luck

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My mother had the operation and has never looked back and others I know have managed just as well so while it is not nice to need it the future should be good.
Personally I think that if you are looking for an awning, an inflatable might be easier with an electric pump.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:
My mother had the operation and has never looked back and others I know have managed just as well so while it is not nice to need it the future should be good.
Personally I think that if you are looking for an awning, an inflatable might be easier with an electric pump.

Like the one Dusty Dog has in his loft. :p

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Personally I think that if you are looking for an awning, an inflatable might be easier with an electric pump

Still needs pegging, and thats probably the hardest bit with the knees knackered.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Ray,
The Kampa Rallye Pro Air 390 is not bad but dam heavy to pull through the awning rail. Apart from the well documented disadvantages my real issue is the pegging out and more importantly the wayward guylines making a dangerous trip factor. The Izzy Magnum is still the easier of the two.
My thanks to all you guys who have got the knee T-shirt. Impressive.
My plan is to carry on with the Meloxicam this season, using Omeprazole to protect my stomach from ulcers. I find riding my bike helps a lot and walking as much as I can. Must lose a few pounds ( Hutch is the expert :p ).
Our old mucker Sproket has come up with a great plan. A personally designed and constructed new knee. Costa de lot but may be a good move.
The kneeling down is my biggest fear. Can you use knee pads or whatever or is it just impossible to kneel?
I am building the peg extractor described in a recent PCv so that should help in part. Wacking the pegs in , standing up is my issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You could try one of the kneelers used by gardeners which have a foam covered kneeling area and two handles to help get up. I bought one for my old dad when he was about 90. Unfortunately I gave it away when he had to move into a care home last summer. But he carried on gardening until he was nearly 96 so it must have helped him.

This is similar to what I bought him.

https://www.co-opmobility.co.uk/in-the-home/outdoors/garden-tools/p/folding-garden-kneeler?msclkid=c50c3ed1028214667292624393d64f07&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Moo - SH (1H) - All Products - Vendably Ranked&utm_term=4584070138030396&utm_content=Outdoors > Garden Tools > * > 3251

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
My f-in-l had a knee replacement 2 years ago, but only had about 4 or 6 Physio sessions. I had a cartilage repair a month after and had physio for 16 weeks, with "homework". Mine is great, his isn't, so don't get fobbed off with just a few physio sessions, and be fastidious about doing the exercises

May 24, 2014
Visit site
For Dustydog

as you know, following past experiences Im am Kampas biggest critic, however taking your point about the awning being very heavy to pull through, have a look at the Kampa Easy Awning Puller. When I bought it, I thought I had probably bought another piece of junk to add to all that accumulated over the years. However, it turned out to be a superb buy. It, along with the Kampa Sabre Lights are the only things I have left from that company, and its totally brilliant. We still use it with the Isabella. Well worth the price.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Had my left knee done in 99, the only problem now is that bending it to 90 degree it feels like a tight band around it, then again try to avoide it. Never interupted camping as had a motorhom at that time . Cannot remember how long after op but know we went to Spain in same year.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I see in CMHC April edition there is a letter from a members who had problems getting down low and bought one of the garden kneelers and has found it really helped him sort out the awning pitching etc

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I see in CMHC April edition there is a letter from a members who had problems getting down low and bought one of the garden kneelers and has found it really helped him sort out the awning pitching etc

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hope someone can help please.
I had a full knee replacement 13 weeks ago and although painful,have tried really hard to keep exercising the joint.(im 60 years old)
A few posters here have said they still cant get past 90 degrees.The same as me.
I thought I wasnt working the joint hard enough but is this 90 degree normal?

Incidentally,I had my operation at Southmead hospital and was encouraged to attend a 2 hour session 2 weeks before my op to receive a booklet and talk about the exercises I should do after op.
The reason for this that Southmead do not offer physiotherapy for knee replacements any more.Apparently,they are losing a lot of money where people are not turning up for sessions.
Also....my knee clicks like h@ll at every step and is very loud

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
GeorgeandAde said:
I had a full knee replacement 13 weeks ago and although painful,have tried really hard to keep exercising the joint.(im 60 years old)
A few posters here have said they still cant get past 90 degrees.The same as me.

Incidentally,I had my operation at Southmead hospital and was encouraged to attend a 2 hour session 2 weeks before my op to receive a booklet and talk about the exercises I should do after op.
The reason for this that Southmead do not offer physiotherapy for knee replacements any more.Apparently,they are losing a lot of money where people are not turning up for sessions.

One of our friends has just had a hip replacement and physio isn’t now available. Like yourself just some leaflets. Now my springer has just completed her third hydrotherapy session and loves it. But not NHS funded I’m afraid.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
GeorgeandAde said:

Back in January I opted for drug therapy , followed up by cortisone injections and since May physiotherapy authorised by my GP. The physio is very much do your exercises at home, but for me it is working and putting off the big op day. I can kneel down with decent knee pads, and just about still get up unaided.
I will avoid surgery as long as I can . I do not want to be forced to stop caravanning!

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I had a cartilage repair privately two years ago, and the physio is the main thing! I had 10-12 sessions over 4-5 months. My father in law had a total replacement a bit before, and had 3 physio sessions, and that was nowhere near enough. If it was me I'd find the money and pay for private physio!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts