Tourer Habitation Check!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
IMHO I think the present 3 year ruling should become mandatory for Gas Safe and Electrical certified inspections on touring caravans . In my view it would catch the D.I.Y'er that is not up to the latest regulation standards thus greatly improve heath and safety in one fell swoop . Surely it was also give a touring caravan owner more comfort in the knowledge their unit is in order aswell as a prospective buyer confidence that the caravan is well maintained and worthy of purchase. If its good for the static holiday caravan safety then maybe it could be good for our lifestyle hobby .
I understand what Colin means , where does it stop , but every long journey starts with the first step .
This may well be taken out of the tourers owners hands anyway soon if our insurance companies insist we have these tests done to satisfy their policies !
May I just add one thing , just because something works it does NOT mean its safe , I'm sure plenty of have seen some electric circuits installed by D.I.Y.ers in caravans !!!

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
rosies said:
IMHO I think the present 3 year ruling should become mandatory for Gas Safe and Electrical certified inspections on touring caravans . In my view it would catch the D.I.Y'er that is not up to the latest regulation standards thus greatly improve heath and safety in one fell swoop . Surely it was also give a touring caravan owner more comfort in the knowledge their unit is in order aswell as a prospective buyer confidence that the caravan is well maintained and worthy of purchase. If its good for the static holiday caravan safety then maybe it could be good for our lifestyle hobby .
I understand what Colin means , where does it stop , but every long journey starts with the first step .
This may well be taken out of the tourers owners hands anyway soon if our insurance companies insist we have these tests done to satisfy their policies !
May I just add one thing , just because something works it does NOT mean its safe , I'm sure plenty of have seen some electric circuits installed by D.I.Y.ers in caravans !!!

the trouble is that it is the first step that is so dangerous, just look at MOT's for cars, introduced to make cars safer. nothing wrong with that, brakes lights and steering was the brief, now look every thing is included even those items that directly do not affect safety. just creeping constantly rolling more complicated set of rules to follow.
it would be just the same with vans, check the electrics and the gas, then road lights, tyres, brakes.
before long the test would include hitches, steadies.dampers ect ect, even down to a damp test more than likely.
the only centres able to do it would be approved workshops and there is not enough in the country to do every single van it is hard enough to get work done as it is . so you would have to set up test centres as well it all cost money where does this come from the van owner,
all this just maybe a good idea, as some say but a caravan is just a trailer. so there not unique therefore all trailers would need testing even the little garden one thats been sitting behind the garage for the last two years. must have it tested before one could take some rubbish to the tip.
far fetched well actually is not just look a other areas where this has happened,
insurance on vans is not compulsory so all that would happen is people at the lower end would stop insuring them thats all, I really don't understand why so many are against DIY'ers most are dedicated amatures with an attention to detail that would put some professionals to shame, after all pride in the outcome is what matters when doing it yourself, quoting the odd botched job does not really cut it, having something done and paying the fee does not garauntee the quality of the work. this is true in any sector caravans are no different,

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I understand and in most ways totally agree with what you say Colin , I should imagine that you are a competent D.I.Y.er that check before , during and after the job as to its safety and credibility , I also class myself the same and deeply enjoy the research and practical side of alterations I've done . Unfortunately NOT all persons are the same so as a chap that knows that health and safety progresses as technology moves forwards then we all have to realise that to stop /reduce injuries , incompetence , incidents and even death then change must happen to protect the incapable D.I.Y.er out there .
You mentioned the trailer that has not turned a wheel stood in the garden for 2 years , lets take that as an example . Bloke takes that tow behind his car to a builders merchants , loads up with 500 kgs of concrete wall blocks, driving home the perished tyre bursts whilst doing 50 mph around a slight bend . The concrete blocks tip the trailer over and spill onto the pavement where a 65 year old chap is tending his garden , blocks hit him and break both legs . NOW is that fair , was it preventable ? Yes of course it was , ok only an example but to me if there was a LAW that could have reduced that risk then surely both me and you would be glad of it . OK I understand these checks may not stop incidents but prevention is better than cure as the saying goes . Another example - chap fits a new 13 amp socket in his caravan , lovely job , nice and neat and perfect for moving the TV to when in bed , Young daughter playing in the van and pushes a key into the live pin hole , bang , electrocuted . All because the chap bought a cheap foreign socket off ebay , Was this preventable , of course again . Eventaully with such rigorous test I think we could drastically reduce unsafe caravans . Yes ok it may lead onto other towing unit being tested but it can only be for the good of preventing simple but fatal at times incidents . ITS PROGRESS .
We all can still do our hobbies and enjoy our D.I.Y , but lets ensure we ALL do it to a high enough standard that nobody gets hurt or potentially hurt .

About 2 months ago I was driving down a country road at dusk , drove around a right hand corner , not severe but a corner nevertheless , when suddenly before me was a trailer by itself at 90 degrees across the road , trailer full of bricks (new ) and one wheel missing . No vehicle present and this trailer about a mile away from anywhere , NOW LET ME TELL YOU - it was a 500kg trailer with approx. 1000kg loaded onto it ( among other things I spent time in the maintenance building trade on railways bridges and tunnels ) It may well have been an unlucky puncture , huh , but again preventable possibly if a thorough examination a service had been carried out previously .
I am not harping on , I really enjoy being on site and someone showing me around there pride and joy with all their alterations as I do with my caravan but we all have our limits . It takes a very wise man to realise his limits though .

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " I really enjoy being on site and someone showing me around there pride and joy with all their alterations as I do with my caravan but we all have our limits . It takes a very wise man to realise his limits though . "

That is probably the most sensible thing I have read for a very long time, well done !!
Taking some of the examples in your post about electrical sockets, that is just one issue that I have often come across when servicing caravans, the owner has though it was OK to fit B&Q type domestic sockets as extension sockets into the van when they are the most inappropriate fittings to use, but the correct double pole sockets cost somewhat more.
It is against the cost of caravan specific items where the majority of problems happen, the wrong item being used, be that electrical sockets, gas fittings, etc etc etc., people never like spending what seems a lot of money on items that appear to be a lot cheaper in the big hardware warehouses like B&Q.

The other failure point is an inexperienced owner applying too much force to fittings thinking that the tighter the better, which can cause failure of the fitting, especially gas fittings, or inappropriate , and illegal, wiring, using domestic single core twin and earth cables to add to the electrical system instead of suitably sized multicore flex.

I must say that I have come across absolutely wonderful additions, properly fitted and looking really good, by the van owner who obviously has taken the time to research what they want to do and following the relevant regulations, but sadly there are more bad examples around of bad installs with totally no appreciation of the dangers to themselves and others.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
there is an old saying "be careful what you wish for, you may just get it. and then you will regret that you wished for it"
to be honest at my time of life. I glad we sold the van it's getting too expensive as it is without extra costs. and more and more regulations to comply with.
besides I have plenty of DIY to do. :woohoo: to keep me busy. with two projects on the go. building a new boat, and restoring an old motor bike, should keep me busy for the next 10years or so.

good luck with all your vans both old and new, I got a feeling your going to need some.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
there is an old saying "be careful what you wish for, you may just get it. and then you will regret that you wished for it"
to be honest at my time of life. I glad we sold the van it's getting too expensive as it is without extra costs. and more and more regulations to comply with.
besides I have plenty of DIY to do. :woohoo: to keep me busy. with two projects on the go. building a new boat, and restoring an old motor bike, should keep me busy for the next 10years or so.

good luck with all your vans both old and new, I got a feeling your going to need some.

Building a BOAT, Colin with your caravan experience you should be building a ultra modern waterproof caravan, I mean if your new boat floats why not a waterproof caravan :) :)

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
yes Kev a boat, :whistle: a 18ft Carvel construction river cruiser. drew the plans years ago but never got round it.
why a boat and not a van well for starters it don't need any type approval certificates or gas safe fitters. I have bought a wood lathe. and a bench planer cheap at an auction so might a well use them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

going back to topic [sort of] reading this thread some may think safety and progress is everything but it's not, neither is making a hobby idiot proof. the spirit of adventure get lost along the way. when you cannot do anything yourself. except pay out from very deep pockets the hobby loses it's appeal.
unfortunatly I am of the old school and can remember well the old days before all this regulation nonsense took off.
caravans with gas lights and two ring hobs, gas fridges [if you were posh] and not a gas fitter in sight.
crossply tyres that held the road like a wet sponge, never bought new ones just put the old ones on from the car when changed for a new set.
no insurance issues as no one insured them if you asked they looked at you funny " what for it's only a caravan"
no noseweight gauges or MTPLM's you put in the van what the car would tow.
home made tow bars made out of a length of box section with angle iron welded on the ends that mounted to the car chassis rails. ps. exactly the same as some type approved ones do!!
and do you know what in those early days I cannot remember ever seeing a van on it's side. or one go up in flames
and we call modern caravanning progress.
the twenty a side Sunday afternoon football match. now it all twitching curtains at the sight of a kid with a ball.
because some ones paid 20grand for their home from home that they spend all day every other day washing and polishing.
most of us caravanners were enthusiasts took pride on keeping the old box on wheels going for cheap holidays with the kids. as it was a better lifestyle than Butlins.

so some want more legislation and even more costs in the name of progress. well they can have their modern hobby
it''s not for me, as the Dragons would say "I am well and truly out" and will stay that way :eek:hmy:
now where did I put that screwdriver Iv'e got a boat to build.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts