Touring in Ireland

jo3

Jul 3, 2007
Visit site
We have decided to try Ireland for about 9 days at Easter and want to move around a bit, maybe doing 3 stops in total. We have two boys aged 9 and 12 and would
like to finish off in Dublin. I've been to Ireland many times but only to Dublin and Cork, so don't really know which places to choose.
Any ideas on locations and/or touring sites would be great. Don't mind how much the sites cost.
Jo

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
If you are leaving/entering Ireland through Dublin then Camac Valley is for you. It is just off the N7 with a direct link to the N4 which takes you west. Camac is secure and clean and great value for money with a bus service outside . If you wish you can avail of a tour bus service and get picked up from the site . We are just back after a week away for the mid term. Traffic noise is evident but We had no trouble sleeping.
The N7 takes you to the south West of the country and also onto the M50 and onwards to the North or South.
N4 heads to the wild West, choose to spend time in Galway or Mayo, where I live , and you have several sites on the Atlantic coast. Try Keel Sandy Banks for size, no traffic noise, just big waves exploding on the beach, marvellous views of the Minaun heights (cliffs). Greenway cycle lane will carry you to Westport along a defunct railway.
Beirnes Battlebridge in Leitrim is well worth a look.
Rushin House in County Fermanagh is outstanding, super pitches on a lakeside with fishing, playground and outdoor gym to name a few. Well laid out with great views over the lake.
Shepherds Rest near Draperstown is another fantastic site to visit , centrally located it is suitable for Derry or Belfast or the Giants causeway. It is rural, beautiful and local to a mountain biking trackway, oh and its at the back door of their warm pub. Just remember that here in Ireland that we may have four seasons in one day. Enjoy !

jo3

Jul 3, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Turbo, that's a massive help as we know next to nothing of Ireland, outside Dublin. I will look at the sites you mentioned. Road noise wouldn't put us off at all, if it was the right site. Do you think that sites in Ireland would need to be booked in advance or could we just roll up on spec?
By the way, I realise that my post shouldn't be in "UK Sites", that was due to my fat fingers.
Thanks again
JO

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jo. We've put your query on the Practical Caravan Facebook and Twitter pages, which might get you some more ideas. For the Facebook post please click here. For the tweet, just click here.

You can also check out the following Practical Caravan travel guides (covering both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland). In no particular order:

County Antrim
County Donegal
County Londonderry
Ireland
Northern Ireland

We hope that helps!

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Keel Sandy Banks don't take reservations, but it is a sprawling site without marked pitches. All of the other sites mentioned are pre booked.

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Ireland is a great place, I used to work for an Irish Company and visited Ireland many times on business and for holidays, places we love are Wexford,Ring of Kerry,Killarney, Limerick and virtually all of the South West. the people are so friendly, I am sure that you will have a hearty welcome, and don't forget to kiss the Blarney Stone

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jo. I live in Ireland and we tour in our caravan throughout the country. Always head to Westport for Easter. We have 14 and 10 year olds. Great site at Westport House but c4 hour drive from Dublin.
Spend few days there, then head to Doolin to Nagles site, visit the Burren, cliffs of moher and Lahinch. Then make your way to Camac or your kids might prefer Hidden Valley Wicklow just 20 minutes from Dublin. You'll need to book each of these sites. Enjoy and feel free to ask if I can help further...

Kenzo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts