Touring Scotland

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone,
Just thinking about touring the north east of Scotland in June /July (hopefully covid will be banished fingers crossed).
Can anyone suggest a good route with stop offs enroute. Leaving Colchester to end up in Grantown on Spey. Possibly driving for about 4hours at a time, so a nice easy journey and no rushing for duration of 4/6weeks.
Thank you

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone,
Just thinking about touring the north east of Scotland in June /July (hopefully covid will be banished fingers crossed).
Can anyone suggest a good route with stop offs enroute. Leaving Colchester to end up in Grantown on Spey. Possibly driving for about 4hours at a time, so a nice easy journey and no rushing for duration of 4/6weeks.
Thank you
Do you want to steer clear of trunk routes like A1, A9. Although the latter is quite a relaxing drive with very nice scenery.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well it could be A1 up towards Edinburgh and then cross on the new bridge Queensferry Crossing ( beautiful) on to Stirling, Perth A9 and via Aviemore and on to Grantown on Spey. There are CL/CS and sites off of the A1 and going through Northumberland is quite rural. Some may not favour going via Newcastle but it’s fine taken steady.
Alternative would be A1 then cross country A66 to Penrith. A74 towards Glasgow, A73 to Stirling then A9 to Aviemore. A number of CL/CS around Penrith I’ve used on trips north.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Theres a fantastic drive from
Tomatin where you leave the A9 and follow the River Findhorn inland as fa as you can drive. Then walk along the gravel road as far as you want. Takes you deep into the Monadhliath Mountains. Deer, eagles wild goats. Good spots to just sit whilst cooking bacon butties and relish the views. Not many tourists either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monadhliath_Mountains

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well it could be A1 up towards Edinburgh and then cross on the new bridge Queensferry Crossing ( beautiful) on to Stirling, Perth A9 and via Aviemore and on to Grantown on Spey. There are CL/CS and sites off of the A1 and going through Northumberland is quite rural. Some may not favour going via Newcastle but it’s fine taken steady.
Alternative would be A1 then cross country A66 to Penrith. A74 towards Glasgow, A73 to Stirling then A9 to Aviemore. A number of CL/CS around Penrith I’ve used on trips north.
I will agree, the run up the A1 to Newcastle is easy. After that, I prefer to take the coast A1 through Alwick up to Edinburgh. Rather than the roller coaster road of the A68. I have never been further North with the van Than St Andrews. Good luck enjoy your trip.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Moderator edit to remove off topic quote

I would expect that by then the process will have advanced sufficiently to allow a reduction in restrictions. At no time have I seen any indication that caravan sites were a source of outbreaks. The weather will help reduce transmission and with the vaccine programme would expect to have gone down to the 60s or even lower plus key workers. There is absolutely no harm in the OP making plans for the holiday, in fact it is beneficial to look forward but with a degree of realism,not pessimism

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brasso530
Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Include The Falkirk Wheel in your journey well worth a visit, we did an over night stop nearby on way to John O'Groats to take it in. Well worth a visit. We found a site nearby and short stay on our way to the far north. also the Kelpies

1612008865166.png1612008940677.png

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have been up to Edinburgh Caravan club site some years ago we went on the A1 to Newcastle and exactly like someone mention on here the coast road through Alwick to Edinburgh next time would like a visit to Falkirk wheel and the kelpies.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been up to Edinburgh Caravan club site some years ago we went on the A1 to Newcastle and exactly like someone mention on here the coast road through Alwick to Edinburgh next time would like a visit to Falkirk wheel and the kelpies.
The main coast road north via Berwick is the A1 isn’t it? Or have I missed something?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
From Colchester my stop offs would probably be York and Edinburgh. Both have masses of things to do both in the city and in the surrounding areas. I would not worry about the A9, it is busy, but if you stick to the speed limits it is not a problem and it is scenic.
Coming back maybe Perth, Northumberland and Nottingham.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Rather than start a new thread this one is fine.
Reading the latest CAMC mag the North Coast 500 gets a good mention.
Many of you will have done this particular tour in whole or part over the last four decades.
So what makes NC500 so special? Nothing! Other than the fact there seems to be a contest to do it in a week or so😥😥. Look what they are missing.
We set off from Wiltshire circa 4.00 am and stop 8.30am ish for a great Scottish breakfast at Tebay services Northbound near Penrith. Thereafter we have a steady drive to our first stop at CAMC Strathclyde Country Park. Four years ago we had a week here. This isn’t just a transit camp but a chance to see the great major Cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow. Bellshill station is very close by and has free parking for rail travellers! Scot Rail got that right! The Falkirk wheel beckons as do the Towns of Hamilton and indeed the Clyde Estuary out to sea. Strathclyde Country Park is worth an explore. So a week has gone by before our next stage. Ok, we now have time on our hands and get to see and appreciate so much others don’t!!

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Rather than start a new thread this one is fine.
Reading the latest CAMC mag the North Coast 500 gets a good mention.
Many of you will have done this particular tour in whole or part over the last four decades.
So what makes NC500 so special? Nothing! Other than the fact there seems to be a contest to do it in a week or so😥😥. Look what they are missing.
We set off from Wiltshire circa 4.00 am and stop 8.30am ish for a great Scottish breakfast at Tebay services Northbound near Penrith. Thereafter we have a steady drive to our first stop at CAMC Strathclyde Country Park. Four years ago we had a week here. This isn’t just a transit camp but a chance to see the great major Cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow. Bellshill station is very close by and has free parking for rail travellers! Scot Rail got that right! The Falkirk wheel beckons as do the Towns of Hamilton and indeed the Clyde Estuary out to sea. Strathclyde Country Park is worth an explore. So a week has gone by before our next stage. Ok, we now have time on our hands and get to see and appreciate so much others don’t!!
Add the Kelpies to that list - for the fit, you can walk between there and the Falkirk Wheel along the canal.

We're not fans of towns/cities normally but do find Edinburgh quite agreeable.

Many visitors to Scotland ignore Dumfries & Galloway on their way north - which makes it more peaceful for those whodo explore it.

I've effectively done the NC500 several times, but all in the days before it was known as such - the problem now is that all types of accommodation have failed to keep pace with numbers of visitors and being brought into disrepute by irresponsible motorhomers - if Scotland relaxes lockdown by mid-May we'll be doing part of it this year but spending 5 weeks on the northern and eastern parts using commercial sites and CLs.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Looking forward to seeing The Kelpies and Falkirk Wheel when we are touring around Scotland in 2022 over a period of three weeks .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Glasgow and Edinburgh do have a lot to offer and Strathclyde Park is a good base with excellent train services into Glasgow from Bellshill and Edinburgh probably better from Motherwell.
The 500 is a good trip, but it does need plenty of time, the idea of doing it in two visits is possibly best, particularly given the distance most people have to travel to get to it. There is now another route suggested covering the South West from Dumfries and Galloway up to Ayr. This might be well worth considering, it is easier but less spectacular.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
if i can see something of the 500 in the three weeks i will be happy me and wife have been to Edinburgh and years ago i have been to Dumfries myself . .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Glasgow and Edinburgh do have a lot to offer and Strathclyde Park is a good base with excellent train services into Glasgow from Bellshill and Edinburgh probably better from Motherwell.
The 500 is a good trip, but it does need plenty of time, the idea of doing it in two visits is possibly best, particularly given the distance most people have to travel to get to it. There is now another route suggested covering the South West from Dumfries and Galloway up to Ayr. This might be well worth considering, it is easier but less spectacular.
There are 17 Scottish National Tourist Routes, take your pick Scotland Road Trip Itinerary Planner & Route Map | VisitScotland

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not wishing to be picky the Guides whilst great for first timers do miss out out some spectacular scenery, eg The Summer Isles, Achiltiebuie, Altnanara on Loch Naver, to mention a couple. That said you do have to start somewhere . Also don’t forget a lot of the Islands have a lot to offer. Rays mention of Dumfries and Ayr would of course allow a visit to Isle of Arran. Lest we forget , Scotland is a massive country and you could spend months exploring and barely scratch the surface.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Not wishing to be picky the Guides whilst great for first timers do miss out out some spectacular scenery, eg The Summer Isles, Achiltiebuie, Altnanara on Loch Naver, to mention a couple. That said you do have to start somewhere . Also don’t forget a lot of the Islands have a lot to offer. Rays mention of Dumfries and Ayr would of course allow a visit to Isle of Arran. Lest we forget , Scotland is a massive country and you could spend months exploring and barely scratch the surface.
Hi DD from home to Edinburgh roughly 250 miles . we can only do three weeks at a time no longer so a Route that would be worth seeing and then i will come back again (y)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi DD from home to Edinburgh roughly 250 miles . we can only do three weeks at a time no longer so a Route that would be worth seeing and then i will come back again (y)
No worries Beachball,
Three weeks will allow you plenty of time to explore the NC500 but just remember it’s a lot of miles and hitching and pitching, but will be worth it. I’m 100 + more miles than you to Edinburgh.. However as I have said before an early start will have you at Strathclyde Country Park the same day .IMO the NC500 is a great start for a great explore. Years ago when money was tight and kids had enough after an hour we focused on the Pitlochry area of Perthshire and then over to Fort William.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you do make it you will love the scenery. If you are in the Clubs one of them has some readers letters about the NC500 this month as there was a full write up the previous month. If you’ve dumped the magazines there’s the online versions.

Having a holiday in the Highlands cancelled last summer, then recently having to cancel the cabin in Forest of Dean ( five households too many for regulations in early June) my wife, daughter and granddaughter have now booked Scotland in late August. They saw the Falkirk Lift and Kelpies two years ago and were amazed. This time their intent is to stay in Fort William and ride the Jacobite and Kyle trains as part of the trip.

I look after the dogs, rabbits, hamster and houses. Very peaceful and TV all to myself in the evenings. A sort of holiday too.

PS another article in March 2021 CMHC magazine. Seems the Highlands is the “ go to place” this year.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts