Tours to Calais-best route?

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
We are planning to travel from Tours to Calais in one hop but cannot decide the best route, up to Paris and round the ring road then the A1/A26 or the much shorter west of Paris via Chartres, Dreux, round Rouen and up the a28/a16. Any suggestions most welcome.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
The latter I would suggest is the best as it avoids Paris.I never have had a problem with the perepherique however if you are doing it in one go you do not want hold ups,but Tours to Calais is not too far.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Tours - Le Mans - Alencon - Rouen - Calais motorway, dual carrigeway all the way now as the autoroute from Le Mans to Rouen has been open for a couple a while now.

Best option as any route finder or Satnav system will route you as well.

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Tours - Le Mans - Alencon - Rouen - Calais motorway, dual carrigeway all the way now as the autoroute from Le Mans to Rouen has been open for a couple a while now.

Best option as any route finder or Satnav system will route you as well.
we did this route 2 years ago it was excellent

we are going again this year and shall go the same way.

ggod luck

we dont use sat nav just a map its quite straight forward

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
Another vote for the A28 via Rouen. The Paris peripherique is not a pleasant experience - junction after junction for miles on end, with traffic merging every few hundred metres. Most of the A28 was deserted when we went that route last summer. Rouen will take a few minutes to get through, but it's all dual carriageway and nowhere near the scale of Paris.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I was through Rouen in about ten minutes yesterday morning, even if Paris and the Periferique is running well traffic wise there is still far more traffic than Rouen at most times.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tom

I agree the best route is Le mans - alencon - rouen, and definitely use the motorways now there open have done this route for years.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Be aware the Le Mans 24 hour race is on the weekend of 14-15th June and that area for a week before and several days after is manic.

Go any other time and part of the road is the track, so you can tell everyone you have drivern at Le Mans!

Jul 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I know you can do it in one go but would like to stop half way any suggestions for camp sites which are easy to get to off A28. If you have any I would appreciate directions.

Thanks,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts