Tow Ball

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes....all the black paint has to come off the ball before you hitch up otherwise it will contaminate the pads.

Emery paper usually does the trick along with maybe a wire brush.

I always use a spray of brake cleaner on the ball and give it a wipe each time before I hitch up as well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes....all the black paint has to come off the ball before you hitch up otherwise it will contaminate the pads.

I always use a spray of brake cleaner on the ball and give it a wipe each time before I hitch up as well.
Thank you for the fast reply. Will carry that out now.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I normally use the wire brush to break the surface but rather than emery i use wire wool. Indeed i always carry wire wool and give the towball a tickle before each journey.

Reactions: Daventura
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
On removing the black paint, I use a wire cup attached to a small angle grinder, brings it off in seconds, tried manual labour, too much effort 😁

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Makes you wonder why they paint the whole thing at the manufacture stage? Also for Dave assuming you have a hitch head stabiliser, ensure the ball is kept grease-free (for example if you tow another trailer to the tip like me!) so I too use a brake cleaner spray before towing the caravan, occasionally give a rub with fine grade wet and dry, and keep a plastic cap on the ball (fixed swan neck) when unhitched.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Makes you wonder why they paint the whole thing at the manufacture stage? Also for Dave assuming you have a hitch head stabiliser, ensure the ball is kept grease-free (for example if you tow another trailer to the tip like me!) so I too use a brake cleaner spray before towing the caravan, occasionally give a rub with fine grade wet and dry, and keep a plastic cap on the ball (fixed swan neck) when unhitched.
Thanks for the advice.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Mine works exactly same way .

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Put some tape around the neck just under the ball when removing the paint as its easy to catch it when you don't need to.

Makes you wonder why they paint the whole thing at the manufacture stage? ...

I too use a brake cleaner spray before towing the caravan, occasionally give a rub with fine grade wet and dry, and keep a plastic cap on the ball (fixed swan neck) when unhitched.

I only towed a caravan with a 'wet' hitch for some time, so didn't need to remove the paint from my towball. Stops it from rusting that way.

+1 for Brake cleaner. Give it a clean each time you use it. I also clean the hitch/stabiliser pads each trip to prevent squeaking/grinding noises.

Not seen anyone else mention this, but after some time in storage, I found my detachable had rusted quite badly; so I now keep it covered in grease when not using it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts