Tow bar for Land Rover Discovery

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
We have just purchased a discovery tdv6 to tow our swift conqueror 630 twin axle and need to get a tow bar fitted.

having spoken to the dealer about this they were unsure if the standard detachable would allow the van to sit level or if I would need to fit a multi height version.

I would be grateful if anyone can advise on this subject.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The standard towbar's ball centre height is 400mm on the self levelling suspensions "normal" setting.

My Hymer single axle runs just nose down in an ideal attitude. Clearly you will have to measure what you need for your van.

The ability to be able to remove this when not in use is a massive plus, and it is so very easy to do.

The fixed version really is about the worse "pig's breakfast" of a contraption yet invented and so out of place on a vehicle of this quality and style. It's a bodge between the removable and a fixed assembly, not a unique purpose made design.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The standard towbar's ball centre height is 400mm on the self levelling suspensions "normal" setting.

My Hymer single axle runs just nose down in an ideal attitude. Clearly you will have to measure what you need for your van.

The ability to be able to remove this when not in use is a massive plus, and it is so very easy to do.

The fixed version really is about the worse "pig's breakfast" of a contraption yet invented and so out of place on a vehicle of this quality and style. It's a bodge between the removable and a fixed assembly, not a unique purpose made design.
Just a further comment: the 400mm is from my original 2005 Model year's Handbook, my new 2007 Model year's handbook has 409mm quoted. I don't know when it changed.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We've got the detachable tow hitch on our Discovery, and our twin axle caravan sits perfectly level.

As the electrics are all tucked away on the car, then the detachable tow bar makes the whole thing look alot neater! :O)

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
I am of the same opinion that the fixed tow bar looks like a pigs ear and did not want to have it fitted.

I think i will go for the detachable and keep it all looking neat and tidy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts